Laudanum, it’ll fix what ails ya.

LOL!

Speaking from experience?

bth_Seagull_steals_chips.gif

• Friendly
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry you did not receive the message sent.

Mountain code.

M-Bob

You might want to try again -- assuming the message hasn't been garbled into utter gibberish.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Of course many do not care regarding our Founders anymore.

M-Bob

Ancestor worship is so passe... besides, if our founders wanted our government to be static and unchanging, they would not have included in our own Constitution detailed instructions for how to amend it, change it, even toss the whole thing out if need be...

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Also, no reason not to think that they had their wits about them. Actually, don't see a lot of that these days.

As man gets puffed up in himself and thinks, yes I'm just a little smarter than those ones.

M-Bob

I didn't say that they didn't have their wits about them...I'm just suggesting that there's no reason to think that a group of guys from the 1700's "are the best at what they did, forever" as some seem to want to think. That's never been true of any other profession, why would the expectations be different for theirs?

You can have respect for originators, while still understanding the reality that understanding of concepts and aspects increases over time.

I greatly respect Henry Ford's Model T and his overall contributions to the field...however, it'd be ridiculous for me to pretend that the features and capabilities of a 2017 Mustang didn't blow it out of the water...or that today's engineers aren't leaps and bounds ahead of the engineers of the early 1900's in terms of the overall understanding of the concepts.

Is there any professional endeavor you can think of that hasn't increased by leaps and bounds in terms of understanding and innovation between 1700's and present day?

All I'm saying is, why pretend that those particular men are the only ones in human history that are immune from that?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
...oh the irony of Trump supporters warning of us of the dangers of absolute power.

Absolute power.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever."

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Absolute power.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever."

At this point, it's Donald's only option. He couldn't get enough Republicans in the Senate to sign a birthday card if he tried.

• Haha
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would like to hear your rationale for making Spanish required in the US school system. I do not see a reason to require Spanish. IMO English is absolutely necessary to function at a reasonable level in US society. All other languages are equally valuable and no one language that is not absolutely necessary to function at a reasonable level in society ought to be forced upon school children. Is there some reason why you would force children to learn a particular language that is not the language of commerce and government in the country providing the education?

Because learning a foreign language is good for your brain. Check the link. Foreign language skill strengthens cognitive function, makes one more perceptive, and improves memory. The benefits even extend to other academic subjects. The article notes that bilingual students do better on standardized tests in math, reading, and vocabulary. And the younger you are when you learn another language, the better you will perform. Isn't this exactly what school should do? Also, foreign language fluency broadens your horizons, and just makes you a more educated, aware, and cultivated person. Spanish is the obvious choice, since it is widely spoken in our hemisphere (and, after Mandarin, actually noses out English as the second most commonly spoken language in the world.)

Why learn a foreign language? Benefits of bilingualism

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
My ability to speak French, Spanish, German, Hebrew, and understand Arabic landed me a real sweet job working for a multi-national company after I retired from the Military and has allowed me to travel to Europe and South America far more often than my English only coworkers.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...then why do you care?
This OP was meant bring people's awareness of what's going on. We are living in a time when evil is being exposed: Islamic terrorism, a corrupt government, the culprits of the recession,Enron, Madoff, Weinstein, etc., there seems to be a flood of people getting caught -- the light was shined on their evil deeds. Even people like Swartzennegar got exposed. The light is shining on Hillary now and the Dems don't need her anymore so they will kick her and her husband to the curb.
When I read Gov. Lamm's speech, I like many people in that audience and I'm sure many millions would agree that this is going on right now. Maybe it's a picture of what reality looks like to those who see reality quite differently. We are living in a time when right means wrong and good means evil and vice-versa. Our rights are disappearing, systematically and so perspective is important. Discussion is good and then again sometimes it's a waste of time. But if a light goes on in one person's mind, then it's worth it. Honestly, discussing anything sometimes, especially with these atheists, it seems like a waste of time. But I never give up hope with anyone. I do care for people, at the same time, judgment may not come soon enough and so we might have to still have to live in this corrupt world for a time.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This OP was meant bring people's awareness of what's going on. We are living in a time when evil is being exposed: Islamic terrorism, a corrupt government, the culprits of the recession,Enron, Madoff, Weinstein, etc., there seems to be a flood of people getting caught -- the light was shined on their evil deeds. Even people like Swartzennegar got exposed. The light is shining on Hillary now and the Dems don't need her anymore so they will kick her and her husband to the curb.
When I read Gov. Lamm's speech, I like many people in that audience and I'm sure many millions would agree that this is going on right now. Maybe it's a picture of what reality looks like to those who see reality quite differently. We are living in a time when right means wrong and good means evil and vice-versa. Our rights are disappearing, systematically and so perspective is important. Discussion is good and then again sometimes it's a waste of time. But if a light goes on in one person's mind, then it's worth it. Honestly, discussing anything sometimes, especially with these atheists, it seems like a waste of time. But I never give up hope with anyone. I do care for people, at the same time, judgment may not come soon enough and so we might have to still have to live in this corrupt world for a time.

Amen.

God help us.

Praying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
“Our rights are disappearing” and yet my bump stock is arriving today.

Is that because you live in America, and there are still some rights and liberties here, my friend?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A PLAN TO DESTROY AMERICA ... and beyond

Why absolute power is dangerous (and always HAS been):

"Ignorance is strength"

If ignorance is strength that makes Donald Trump ......
32e8809cbda10b075d85678a7631ebe9.gif

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or you could just look at Canada. It's been bi-lingual since its inception with no issues.
OK, this was taken from: Ethnic and Race Relations
[Immigrants and Canadian Society
The decrease in British representation led to a concomitant decrease in their control of the economy or of the political system or to a change in the status of Canada as a "white" society. Other European immigrants do not share equality with the charter groups. John Porter in The Vertical Mosaic argued that the crucial fact of Canadian life was the "exclusion of minority groups from the main loci of decision making within the corporate sector of the economy" (see Business Elites).

In politics the composition of federal Cabinets since 1867 has reflected only the struggle to balance English and French interests. The decision by certain groups, eg, Finns, Ukrainians and other central and eastern European immigrants, to become engaged in radical political activities has reflected their decision to challenge what has been called "the notion of Canadian society on the one hand and the existence of ethnic groups as something independent of the society on the other."

Conflicts between immigrant and charter groups are a result of unequal access to employment and education, and unequal security and social respect. Several groups have been the victims of systematic exploitation, discrimination and social exclusion, but their situation has largely improved as a result of their own individual and collective efforts, and because of legislation and economic prosperity.

For the first generation of immigrants the structure of social networks and organizations is formed largely for adaptive purposes, ie, to advance or defend shared interests and to provide social support. The structure tends to weaken in succeeding generations if the group has achieved some measure of economic advancement and assimilation.

At the individual level this manifests itself in the loss of language and culture and in a decreased participation in the group's associations and social networks. This does not mean a complete loss of identity and culture. However, what the second and subsequent generations retain as their lives evolve in Canada is a selection and transformation of what was brought from the country of origin.

prejudice and discrimination are a reality in Canada (see also Anti-Semitism; Black Canadians; Japanese Canadians; Chinese Canadians; Jewish Canadians). To the extent that negative attitudes and behaviour exist, it is more difficult for visible than for other minorities to avoid being subjected to them.

The Relationship of Ethnic Groups to Anglophone and Francophone Cultures
This relationship raises the question of how certain manifestations of individual and collective ethnicity (if they are to exist) are to be recognized and incorporated into Canadian society and how social institutions are to be modified to accommodate and recognize various cultural traditions.

The multiculturalism policies and programs of the various levels of government have been a step in that direction. But their aim has not been to restructure institutions to reflect the composition of the population. What such a restructuring would entail has by and large yet to be defined and whether or not it should be attempted remains a highly controversial question. ]

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0