United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No idea what you mean to say here.
You DO ignore evidence (or can't understand it), do you not?

You'll have to retract that one too, or just be flappin your gums. Sorry.
You got nothin'.
I absorb like a sponge. This is why may stand has changed a lot from years past.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You'll have to retract that, or just be flappin. Sorry.
You got nothin'.

As I wrote yesterday, I can tell more about a creationist by what they ignore than what they reply to. You ignored:

Biblical Archaeology's Top Ten Discoveries of 2015

That is good stuff.. Nothing about great floods, light before a sun, dust=human, etc. I liked these entries:

"The first and only Philistine cemetery ever discovered ..."

"A millennia-old latrine ...could be evidence ..."

"An excavation at a cave in Galilee has uncovered what may be a 2,000-year-old stone vessel production center. "

"Two First Temple period seals were discovered..."

And so on...

Lots of 'could be' and 'may be' ...​

Yes... We are done.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You are mixing statements from two different people. It's very hard
for me to defend my comments unless you quote me on them.

And yet you have been caught plagiarizing. Interesting.

Anyway:

A new development to watch closely

"On the other hand, Christianity is the only religion
based on historical people and facts. Not only are
the background stories well documented in history
but the scriptures are the most well documented
writings of any ancient texts. "

"SkyWriting" is YOU, is it not?

Wrote it twice already - we are done. Not wasting time on someone that engages in this sort of trolling.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"On the other hand, Christianity is the only religion
based on historical people and facts. Not only are
the background stories well documented in history
but the scriptures are the most well documented
writings of any ancient texts. "

And what do you dispute on what I wrote?
I'll be happy to go into more detail.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is good stuff.. Nothing about great floods, light before a sun, dust=human, etc. I liked these entries:

"The first and only Philistine cemetery ever discovered ..."

"A millennia-old latrine ...could be evidence ..."

"An excavation at a cave in Galilee has uncovered what may be a 2,000-year-old stone vessel production center. "

"Two First Temple period seals were discovered..."

And so on...

Lots of 'could be' and 'may be' ...​

Yes... We are done.

I didn't write any of that. Actually I haven't even read any of that.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And what do you dispute on what I wrote?
I'll be happy to go into more detail.

So you are just going to ignore the laughable nature of your 'best biblical archeological discoveries'?

YOU will go into more detail? How will YOU do that? More copy-pasting?

That is NOT you going into more detail - that is you taking, without question, that which you believe props up your position at face value and running with it.

Not interested.

I'd rather you read a high school biology textbook.

Upvote 0

erealmz

Oh, that's right...
Aug 28, 2017
City of Jade
✟6,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
"Your original post"

This is great stuff bro. Stuff we can not yet explain and so we assume this and that. But since we can't explain it and instead make assumptions, there must be an explanation that we don't understand yet... Oh wait... God. Now we get it.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I didn't write any of that. Actually I haven't even read any of that.
YOU linked to a page containing that "evidence" for creation here:

A new development to watch closely

So you do not even read links that you provide as long as the title of the page seems to give you what you want?

Is that laziness or gullibility?

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
In a recent article in Science, (July 2017) titled “How sunlight might have jump-started life on Earth”, writer Roland Pease tells us of e new theory set forth by Geophysicist, Robert Hazen and others postulates the possibility that maybe something as simple as ultra-violet rays could have caused a reaction in Iron-Sulphur clusters that may have formed the first enzymes. And as we know enzymes are responsible for almost all cellular functions. However there are a few assumptions that would need to be confirmed to make the theory plausible.

One of the necessary components for this reaction however are peptides, the presence of a dipeptide being the first essential step leading to the structures in living things. A peptide is defined as “a compound consisting of two or more amino acids linked in a chain, the carboxyl group of each acid being joined to the amino group of the next by a bond of the type -OC-NH-“!

Now the one’s we are aware of at this point are all a part of a living system like:
So far (having expected to find these since the early 20th century) not a single life worthy dipeptide has been found naturally arising outside of the living system.

But recently we have been able to intelligently design some basic di- and poly- peptides inside the laboratory, like:
So the bottom line is in the actual Data we have two kinds...those we know we will find in already extant living systems, and those intelligently designed outside of a living system.

This new hypothesis therefore must ASSUME:

a) first that enzymes DID exist in the early Earth biochemistry, which rely on the presence of

b) basic Amino acid molecules already existing, and next

c) that these were all present in some kind of a primordial soup concept, around 4 billion years ago

So one hypothesis ASSUMES that early nucleic acids “assembled themselves” into functional proteins and RNA which then “assembled themselves” (a further assumption) into higher order functional strands of genetic material. This suggests enzymatic reactions already occurring. This newer suggestion is that Iron-Sulphur clusters (a basic component of all enzymes) have been around at least since the “last common ancestor of all living things” (an additional assumption). YET we know that all the many “carefully calibrated” metabolic reactions INSIDE living cells require oxygen which all modern scientists appear to agree was NOT PRESENT in this early earth!?!

So which came first, the enzymes (usually formed by coding in already extant RNA or DNA) or the cellular environment in which we can actually observe them arising in? Do we rely on and hypothesize based on the actual evidence, or the interpret the evidence to fit the model we suppose?

Well on the side of intelligent design playing a major role in all science, in laboratories Scientists have devised a way to remove oxygen, and then in this oxygen depleted environment mix Iron with glutathione (a sulfur containing peptide ) they claim was likely a predominate factor in the early earth (sound like a similar approach to the Miller/Urey intelligently designed model).

Only that makes little or no sense, because as we know, these already extant peptides would have required some catalytic or enzymatic action just to have formed in the first place. So to ASSUME such reactions already existed as the cause of forming such reactions in the first place is a logical absurdity, but the hypothesis driven are missing this in their thinking. So far replies I receive boil down to “Duh! I cannot understand what you are saying here!”

It is like some kind of cog is stuck not allowing them to process the simple reasonable fact of what this proposes. All they really did in these experiments was show that under intelligently designed conditions in a controlled environment they could produce a form of Iron that could readily interact with sulfur (the sulfur which is bound in already formed peptides).

Out of 30 different compounds they created for trial, a few were found to actually somewhat work if placed INSIDE our intelligently designed fatty acid vesicles (we refer to as proto-cells and use them in labs), SO now this proposes a new problem being ignored or not admitted to, which is that fatty acids contain a carboxylic acid which itself is oxygen dependent to exist.

They seem to agree that also “all the basic chemicals for life (meaning for their structures and functions) can be cooked up in a water –filled impact crater” but AGAIN a “water-filled” crater demonstrates the necessity of oxygen, since oxygen is essential for water to exist and the environment they ASSUME allegedly has none, and if it were as they project in their initial assumptions, in the presence of such high levels of Ultra-violet radiation, water would be almost immediately evaporate were it even able to form in the first place.

Despite these obvious realities, I predict within a year or so many will be persuaded there is some actual truth to this, and after a while it will find its place beside other intelligently designed processes (like Miller/Urey) in classrooms and textbooks everywhere as evidence for an evolutionary source for life.

We have a hypothesis. Next step is to design experiments to test it.

Reactions: Wakalix
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
HOW DO OTHER ANCIENT TEXTS COMPARE TO THE NEW TESTAMENT?

When considering the trustworthiness of the New Testament (NT) documents, the first question we need to ask is, “Have these documents been accurately transmitted to us since they were originally written?”

Author Work / Number of handwritten Manuscripts

Homer Iliad / 1757
Herodotus History / 109
Sophocles Plays / 193
Plato Tetralogies / 210
Caesar Gallic Wars / 251
Livy History of Rome / 150
Tacitus Annals / 33
Pliny, the Elder Natural History / 200
Thucydides History / 96
Demosthenes Speeches / 340
Greek NT / 5795
How Do Other Ancient Texts Compare to the New Testament? #10 Post of 2012

Ah yes - that "argument" from copying.

And up next - the 'argument' from embarrassment?

Upvote 0