9th Circuit rules 2nd amendment means carry for self defense.

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why shouldn't people be able to carry weapons to defend themselves?
If that's the society you want then fine. You know I just hit 50 and I've lived in 8 different states all over the US. I travel a great deal. And strangely enough I haven't felt the need to have a gun to protect myself...LET ALONE A CONCEALED WEAPON.

Neither have I. I've lived in some pretty heavily populated neighborhoods near downtowns, and never came close to fearing for my life.

The more in love with guns we are the more available they are and the more common public shootings will become. It's already so common that we don't even seem to NOTICE when yet another shooter walks into a mall in Indiana or Washington and starts blasting.

I've gotten completely used to it. Gun violence is just part of our culture. I'm no longer shocked to read of children being murdered in their classrooms.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
So then why don't you just argue in favor of your actual views instead of pretending like you support the right to bear a firearm?

Where was I pretending anything? Perhaps I was framing my responses to accommodate the idea that having the ability and right to own a gun is something I do not support, but is also not something I would push to make illegal.

I could be more frank if you wish. Anyone in general every-day life who needs a gun to defend himself is weak and a coward. The strength of a man is measured by his character, not his weapon. Too often people fight for the latter in expense of the former.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Where was I pretending anything? Perhaps I was framing my responses to accommodate the idea that having the ability and right to own a gun is something I do not support, but is also not something I would push to make illegal.
Well you made it clear that you are not in support of concealed carry, and then said you're not in favor of open carry "in general", so what other kinds of "carry" are there? How can you say you don't want to revoke the right to bear arms when you oppose all types of carrying?

I could be more frank if you wish. Anyone in general every-day life who needs a gun to defend himself is weak and a coward.

This is way beside the point.

The strength of a man is measured by his character, not his weapon. Too often people fight for the latter in expense of the former.

Also irrelevant. Thinking that people who believe they need guns are cowards has nothing to do with whether or not a gun-free society is a safer society. Looking objectively at the evidence makes it clear that it is not.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is an example of LIMITS to the right to keep and bear arms.

If that's the society you want then fine. You know I just hit 50 and I've lived in 8 different states all over the US. I travel a great deal. And strangely enough I haven't felt the need to have a gun to protect myself...LET ALONE A CONCEALED WEAPON.

My other problem is I've traveled extensively overseas especially in Western Europe. A lot of work over there. And funny enough they don't seem to have the need to be armed to the teeth just to go out to the theater.

Oh, and in the US if you DO go to the theater...make sure not text! SOmeone could cap ya.

The more in love with guns we are the more available they are and the more common public shootings will become. It's already so common that we don't even seem to NOTICE when yet another shooter walks into a mall in Indiana or Washington and starts blasting.

We love guns in the US and we have a real problem with this.

And you know the funny thing? Unlike most libruls I grew up with guns. My family were hunters. And while my dad is long gone I'm guessing he seldom had the need to carry a gun around town even if he could have at the time.

Wow. What a messed up country we are.

And the weirdest part is: all you need do is go ont CHRISTIANforums.com and find CHRISTIANS lauding life by the sword. Some of 'em can't get ENOUGH of life by the sword.

The answer to every problem appears to be MORE GUNS.

Well Vermont has concealed and open carry with no permit and they have the lowest murder rate in the country.

If you feel safe without a gun, you probably haven't had to walk around streets in Camden or Trenton like I have, keeping a close eye on the color of people's attire (hint: a full group of people in red in Trenton is bad news).

Now I don't own a gun, I've never even held one, but there are times I wish I had one, and I am considering purchasing one for a trip I am going on (for dealing with hostile wildlife, not people).

People should be able to defend themselves.

Upvote 0

CarlosTomy

Aug 31, 2013
✟725.00
Faith
Atheist
Well Vermont has concealed and open carry with no permit and they have the lowest murder rate in the country.

Good for them. But may I ask why they feel the NEED to have guns so important in their lives? Did it used to be MUCH WORSE there at one point? And did the guns make it all better?

If you feel safe without a gun, you probably haven't had to walk around streets in Camden or Trenton like I have,

Hmmm, Camden and Trenton. Well, I guess you're right. I mean in my years of living in 8 different states all over the US and traveling extensively in various parts of the world I guess my experience is trumped by these two cities.

Now I don't own a gun, I've never even held one, but there are times I wish I had one

I have owned a gun. I have held one. I have killed things with a gun. I, unlike you, had extensive training on guns and gun safety. But apparently unlike you, my experience WITH a gun still has me convinced I couldn't shoot another human being easily.

I don't mean any offense here, but if YOU were given a gun, and no doubt you are a very nice human being, I would fear YOU more than many things out there.

Why? Because guns are really scary things. And I say this as one who actually grew up with guns and kinda like 'em as objects and tools. But for some city slicker such as yourself, I'd be afraid you are more likely to be a statistic than a salvation for society if YOU got a gun.

Again, I don't say that with an ounce of malice toward you.

So can I ask why you think it would be OK to increase the probablity of concealed carry weapons in any given city you walk around in?

, and I am considering purchasing one for a trip I am going on (for dealing with hostile wildlife, not people).

I hope you have a LOT of time beforehand to get the necessary training. My training in gun safety was MANY classes in the evening after school. ANd again I had a LOT of time out in the woods with the gun and my dad and various other hunting partners.

If you think you are just gonna go down to Walmart, pick up a gun and go traipsing about the woods ready to take on a bear, I hope you are prepared to get the necessary training.

People should be able to defend themselves.

How many shoot outs between honest good people and Trenton Latin Kings have you seen in your lifetime? (I"m not talking the cops versus bad guys, but regular citizens vs bad guys).

How many?

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well, the good news is that the anti-gun movement has lost any steam it might have gathered temporarily after Sandy Hook, and with the total failure to pass any legislation at the national level, the gun control movement is dead for the next 20 years. Politicians in Colorado who passed gun control are getting whacked, and even New York's silly registration law is about to be rendered useless. So you an argue about this until you are blue in the face, but it will be to no avail.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You have a right to a gun, and the government has a right to regulate it. It's not that difficult to understand.

The government cannot have any right except that which is delegated to it, with consent, by the people.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well, the good news is that the anti-gun movement has lost any steam it might have gathered temporarily after Sandy Hook, and with the total failure to pass any legislation at the national level, the gun control movement is dead for the next 20 years.

I think it'll act up again a lot sooner than that. School shootings are like buses -- all you have to do is wait for the next one...

Not that it'll matter; the gun lobby will shout down the outrage from that one as well.

Upvote 0

CarlosTomy

Aug 31, 2013
✟725.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, the good news is that the anti-gun movement has lost any steam it might have gathered temporarily after Sandy Hook,

And by "steam" I assume you mean the 20 slaughtered little kids, right?

and with the total failure to pass any legislation at the national level, the gun control movement is dead for the next 20 years.

Yay! Maybe we can have even more slaughtered little kids.

Guns are FAR more important.

Politicians in Colorado who passed gun control are getting whacked, and even New York's silly registration law is about to be rendered useless. So you an argue about this until you are blue in the face, but it will be to no avail.

So the VERY NEXT TIME one of your "concealed carry" heroes actually shoots a BAD GUY (instead of say, a guy texting in a theater or kids with loud stereos) make sure to let us know you are keeping us all safe with your guns.

It will certainly make us feel better and maybe help us forget these folks ("steam" as you might think of them):

newtown_victims_700.jpg

or this (nice hairstyle!):

After-Giffords-shooting-civility-elusive-RFPMNKF-x-large.jpg

Or these "steam" examples:

aurora-victims-by-veronica-gilson-630x588.jpg

Maybe, god willing, the gun debate will also soon be DEAD.

And not just for 20 years but for forever. All praise the mighty GUN-SAVIOR!

(It's certainly kept us safe from any future EVIL DOES who might have come from Sandy Hook Elementary!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

muslimsoldier4life

It will certainly make us feel better and maybe help us forget these folks ("steam" as you might think of them):

All those deaths were in "Gun Free" zones. That meant no one had a gun with which to defend themselves, or protect anyone, from the tragedy that unfolded. I think if you're going to use such sensationalism to justify gun control, try to use it where guns can be used but weren't and people died. Don't use where guns are not allowed,and someone died because a maniac had a gun and no sane person was allowed to bring on in the area.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟899,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
All those deaths were in "Gun Free" zones. That meant no one had a gun with which to defend themselves, or protect anyone, from the tragedy that unfolded. I think if you're going to use such sensationalism to justify gun control, try to use it where guns can be used but weren't and people died. Don't use where guns are not allowed,and someone died because a maniac had a gun and no sane person was allowed to bring on in the area.
AMEN thank you.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I see no problem with properly trained individuals, getting a license for concealed carry. I do believe that should be a requirement, prior to being issued a concealed carry license. Also, they should make a person carry mace and/or a taser besides the gun.

I've said before: firearms, seat belts, and condoms all have two things in common:

1. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

BUT

2. Having one doesn't make a person indestructible. Caution should always be taken.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CarlosTomy

Aug 31, 2013
✟725.00
Faith
Atheist
All those deaths were in "Gun Free" zones. That meant no one had a gun with which to defend themselves,

So you think we should have armed the elementary school kids? Or just had more armed guards around our schools?

What kind of messed up society do YOU want to live in?

or protect anyone, from the tragedy that unfolded. I think if you're going to use such sensationalism to justify gun control, try to use it where guns can be used but weren't and people died. Don't use where guns are not allowed,and someone died because a maniac had a gun nd no sane person was allowed to bring on in the area.

LOL. Sorry but we are nation obsessed with guns. If you can't see a problem with that that underlies many of the larger issues then I bid you to find ANOTHER country to peddle this gun lust to.

If you can't get disgusted by 20 slaughtered kids and wonder if maybe this was a problem because we are GUN-OBSESSED (remember the mother of the shooter at Sandy Hook was a GUN LOVER) then perhaps you are missing the bigger picture.

article-2530143-1A4FCA9300000578-856_634x427.jpg

Perhaps you'd like to take a stab at who this was.

Upvote 0
M

muslimsoldier4life

So you think we should have armed the elementary school kids? Or just had more armed guards around our schools?

1) I never said arm the elementary school kids. I understand you are scare of people who own guns, and that's an issue you have to take care of yourself.

2) It's not a bad idea to bring back gun education classes to schools again.

3) I believe all teachers and school administrators, should be properly trained with a gun and what to do when the next tragedy happens.

The anti-gun crowd to me, are a bunch of cowards. You crouch in fear of those who want to do others harm with guns, but you somehow get brave when the law-abiding citizen wants to stand up for those victims with gun defense and you call them evil. I mean seriously, are you that dense?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
3) I believe all teachers and school administrators, should be properly trained with a gun and what to do when the next tragedy happens.
Some people would go so far as to suggest that maybe it would be even better to take steps to prevent "the next tragedy" from happening at all. Crazy, I know.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Matt 26:25 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Matt 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

So much for Christians caring about what Jesus supposedly said. But hey, I get it...I don't think he was real either! :)

You can be a pacifist and oppose gun control. Especially when gun control leads to more violence.

Upvote 0
M

muslimsoldier4life

Some people would go so far as to suggest that maybe it would be even better to take steps to prevent "the next tragedy" from happening at all. Crazy, I know.

Having a "gun free" zone for schools was supposed to protect children. You saw how well that has worked out; the same goes for movie theaters as well. Then of course, what do I know right?

1) I'm a Muslim and thus a terrorist in training. Well, that's how it's viewed in the United States.

2) I'm a US Soldier, so I'm a murderer and a mercenary. Well, that's what I've been told before.

3) I'm pro-gun, so I'm ignorant and a blood thirsty savage. Well, that's the picture being painted by the anti-gun crowd. Remember, unless you're a full blown liberal, then you're not enlightened or remotely clued in to how the world works.

Upvote 0