Saxony-Anhalt
✟124,235.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don’t be hard on yourself. I have beauty standards the Lord has given and modesty wasn’t an issue. It is part of my refinement. And He didn’t address it immediately. He tackled other issues.

I don’t think that was a loving way of conveying their concern. Did a woman say this to you or a man?

It is a gradual process. There are shirts similar to tank tops with very short sleeves. But I’m curious what it was about the shirt that drew their ire. Was it loose or close fitting?
Oddly it was a man.
Similar to this picture. A basic tank top really?
Would some think this not modest?
SJ315_Black.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
That tank top seems pretty normal to me. Not sure why anyone would get all up in arms about it unless they're just being a jerk and trying to latch onto something to criticize.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
— Please share an opinion based on your gender first. This subject skews disproportionately towards women and I would like to see edifying comments for both sexes.

— Please provide biblical support for your opinion if applicable.

— And for the sake of clarity for everyone, please share a visible example of the modest attire you’re addressing. Please avoid posting immodest images or videos in deference to those with struggles.

I don't find showing cleavage or super-short hemlines as descent. I think 1 Timothy 2:9-10 still applies because of the part about being "respectable."

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The biblical verses in Paul's and Peter's epistles deal with one aspect of modesty: flaunting wealth. It had little to do with sexuality or how much skin was showing.

On Yom Kippur and other holy days, we men dress in a kittle, a garment looking much like a white lab coat. And we wear no leather shoes. This is to put aside any economic or class distinctions and acknowledge we all stand on equal footing before the King of Kings.
This is an interesting take.
I shouldn't then feel like such a scruff when I dress casually or perhaps a bit rough belying my position in the community I am in. I have made this a practice for precisely the reason that I do not wish to blow my own trumpet in public and make others feel uncomfortable.
Mind you in the NZ culture I come from this practice is not unusual either and some of the most well off and influential people I have met dress in a rough old t-shirt, some basic shorts and a pair of jandals much of the time, and only suit up when forced to do so by circumstance.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What does Christian modesty mean for men and women in today’s culture?

To facilitate the discussion I’m requesting three things from respondents:

— Please share an opinion based on your gender first. This subject skews disproportionately towards women and I would like to see edifying comments for both sexes.

— And for the sake of clarity for everyone, please share a visible example of the modest attire you’re addressing. Please avoid posting immodest images or videos in deference to those with struggles.

Thank you. I look forward to your response. :)
I take a wide-angle view of the term "modesty". I don't confine it to fashion, it's just one way people can be immodest. A modest person doesn't "have" to be seen or noticed or praised. An immodest person will dress or act in such a way as to get noticed.

Jesus didn't talk up how he healed the sick. Rather, he told many people he healed to not tell anyone about it, except in cases where the healed people needed to show themselves to the priests in order to be declared clean again. An immodest "healer" will self-promote the heck out of his "healing ministry".

A man who is immodest with his money will tend to drive expensive cars, and start conversations about them. Or draw attention to latest expensive toy that he bought. He may wear big fat rings and other jewelry.

A man who is immodest with his body will take the opportunity to show it off. He'll wear shirts a size or two too small if he can. Sleeves? If the weather is warm enough, he doesn't need them - ever.

This isn't to disparage hard work to get in shape or to be financially successful, but you don't have to magnify it so that people will notice.

A man who is modest can simply blend in with the people around him. The "millionaire next door."

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What does Christian modesty mean for men and women in today’s culture?

To facilitate the discussion I’m requesting three things from respondents:

Thank you. I look forward to your response. :)

Modesty is pretty straightforward dress like a normal (respectable) person see the two Coptic videos for Gentlemen and ladies. (I plan on posting a lengthy reply to the headcovering thread you posted, since that touches on some important areas of theology and liturgics, but you will see some nice example of Coptic women wearing head scarves in church on the first video).

But back to the topic, since people need specifics I'll give you some. For a guy a speedo would be out there in most cases (like unless you somehow really like them and are alone or just with your wife in your own private pool etc). The same would go with things like really tight shorts like bike shorts wear it might look like you are smuggling figs into the country. :) If your going to wear them for biking I guess fine, but get changed out of the ASAP after the ride is over. And I would say, walking around shirtless where you are not at the pool is also tacky, (most business won't serve males that are topless even in the middle of summer in areas right by the beach).

Now is there a scriptural standard? Not officially, but I sort of figured out one. Below is the picture of the high priest. In reference to the scandalous incident of David dancing before the Lord in 2 Samuel, King David was wearing "an ephod" like the yellow tunic/apron you see below (just the ephod, but not the other robes pictured in white). But in spite of him wearing an ephod (no other robes) his wife below reacts as if he was just dancing in his underwear or maybe with just a long cloth...

2 Samuel 6:14-22
"20 When David returned home to bless his own family, Michal, the daughter of Saul, came out to meet him. She said in disgust, “How distinguished the king of Israel looked today, shamelessly exposing himself to the servant girls like any vulgar person might do!

So yes this shows that even guys, especially upper class guys were normally pretty covered up in Bible times. Which shouldn't be surprising because the scriptures tend to imply or associate provocative dress with promiscuity (only the low moral people do it).

ephod.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,200.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The biblical verses in Paul's and Peter's epistles deal with one aspect of modesty: flaunting wealth. It had little to do with sexuality or how much skin was showing.

I tend to agree.

My personal idea of modesty is "blue collar" fashion!

Except for the hard hat and tool belt, this is what usually wear outside. Looks great on ladies too!....And I have lots of flannels, got them for free!

12218272-handywoman-sitting-studio-shot.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
One of my previous rabbis grew up in southern California and every year at High Holy Days, the women would show up in the most expensive latest furs (even though the temps were in the upper 80s) just to show off and try to outdo everyone else.
Sounds like La Jolla (San Diego area). When it gets really chilly the fur coats are everywhere; especially if it's chilly day (70's) during Sukkot. It's not so much showing off as it can get chilly on a fall day in La Jolla, CA (even if it's only 80) ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My personal idea of modesty is "blue collar" fashion! Except for the hard hat and tool belt, this is what usually wear outside. Looks great on ladies too!....
12218272-handywoman-sitting-studio-shot.jpg
AMEIN!
Daddy's girl (Tom Boy) do make the best friend, companion, soulmate and lover (First Hand Experience)

Edit: And of course "Helpmate" (Father's Helpmate for Adam ~ Daddy's Girl)

Last edited:
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like La Jolla (San Diego area). When it gets really chilly the fur coats are everywhere; especially if it's chilly day (70's) during Sukkot. It's not so much showing off as it can get chilly on a fall day in La Jolla, CA (even if it's only 80) ;)
No - this was during 80 and 90 degree days.
It was definitely showing off the new furs and flaunting wealth.

Upvote 0