Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not ever remember getting a ride to school. I walked from the first grade. I remember when I got tired of trying to find my son when he would run off in a store. One day I just stayed in one spot and waited for him to find me. He was so mad that he had to keep track of me rather then me running around trying to find him.

On the farm kids get their first knife when the are 8 and their first gun when they are 12. In the city they may arrest you if you give them a knife before they are 18. Even though it is legal for them to get a job using power tools at 16.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like the caller has an issue with the family - no way could that child be mistaken for a 5 year old, so looks like an attempt to cause trouble for them.

I was allowed as far as the corner shop on my own at 8 and into town as long as I was with a friend and kept to certain rules. I guess a lot of it depends on the area - we knew everyone in our village and people kept an eye out. I probably wouldn't have been allowed so much freedom in a neighbourhood which didn't have such a good community.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what age are kids allowed to walk alone?
when did you allow your children out of sight?

I walked alone to school at age 9 and that's when parents in our neighborhood started letting their kids go around and play in each other's backyards

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/child-ser...ing-8-old-214909422--abc-news-topstories.html

Yes, there are many reports in the news over the last 10 years of families that know they can trust their under 12 children to walk to the park and such, and others report the children to the police, and then an article gets written on it. There have been some good articles. Lemme see if I can find one of the good ones I read....I'll put it here.

Ah, even better than the one I was looking for:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/04/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/

• Informative
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I walked alone to school at age 9
I walked to school in kindergarten, age 5. It was about 6 blocks.

By the time I was 9 I could walk or ride bike to anywhere in town. (small town)

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the time I was 9 I could walk or ride bike to anywhere in town. (small town)

husband did the same but they lived in small town
he had a paper route at age 9 or 10 so he rode bike around town

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The world has changed. It grows worse by the day (so much for evolution).

I was 8 when I went door to door selling Girl Scout cookies... and door to door was 10 acres apart if not more! I was 9 selling greeting cards on the same "block" which was a mile in each direction around (x4)...

• Agree
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was allowed out to go to the shops when I was 2 years old. I used to walk there with my 9" knife tucked into my nappy and my 9mm over my shoulder. I never got any trouble. I think the belt of grenades made people wary if me.

• Haha
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not convinced that things are actually too dangerous today in many neighborhoods.

we live in a fairly safe town/neighborhood yet the police have been on our street several times with search dogs as well as with their guns out

(domestic violence situation, people running from police, and house break-ins)

there is no where totally safe from criminals

Last edited:
Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's hard to say whether people are just overly concerned about children, or if they are just busy-bodies looking to stir up drama.

I let my kids walk and ride their bikes through the neighborhood without me. No one has ever called authorities about it, but they have occasionally asked me if I knew about it or thought it was safe. I don't think everyone approves of it, but my husband and I grew up with similar liberties and think it's important for kids to explore on their own a little. If I had a more aggressive neighbor who called police or child services, I would probably have my children bake cookies and write a card thanking them for looking out for the neighborhood kids, and then I'd have my kids deliver it to them unsupervised. :) Any further attempts to meddle would then be really awkward, I'd think. Plus that's just my passive-aggressive way. There's a lot worse situations for kids than roaming their own neighborhoods.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's hard to say whether people are just overly concerned about children, or if they are just busy-bodies looking to stir up drama.
I think it is the latter in the guise of the former.

Upvote 0

Sunshyne

I am my Beloved's and He is mine!!!
Aug 30, 2018
Nacogdoches
✟15,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
what age are kids allowed to walk alone?
when did you allow your children out of sight?

I walked alone to school at age 9 and that's when parents in our neighborhood started letting their kids go around and play in each other's backyards

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/child-ser...ing-8-old-214909422--abc-news-topstories.html

I honestly wish I knew. I have a 6 year old and 4 year old. I go to walk my dog (literally across the street and am gone for 10 min or less) and if someone sees my children in the yard, the stranger has literally called the police on me. It's frustrating. I'm so glad school has started back up so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Upvote 0