Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Three U.S. service members were killed and 25 injured Sunday in a one-way drone attack at a small U.S. base in northeast Jordan, near the Syria border, U.S. Central Command announced. These were the first U.S. fatalities in months of strikes against American forces in the Middle East by Iran-backed militias amid the Israel-Hamas war.

The attack is another escalation of the hostilities between the U.S. and enemies in the Middle East following the Hamas attack on Israel on Oct. 7.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This makes me mad as hell! Either we withdraw all troops from harm's way or Shock and Awe the Iranians. Having our kids picked off one by one is not right. Just like the Iranian-backed Houthis and the mess in the Red Sea eventually, they'll get lucky and kill innocent civilians trying to make a living and the target is us. and UK .

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A report from CNN said the total of wounded Americans is likely to surpass 30.
The attack took place at Tower 22 in Jordan, which is located near the border with Syria, according to CNN.

The drone was fired from Syria, and was believed to have been launched by an Iran-backed militia group.

“While we are still gathering the facts of this attack, we know it was carried out by radical Iran-backed militant groups operating in Syria and Iraq,” President Joe Biden said in a statement.

Biden said the United States “will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner our choosing.”

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,895.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This makes me mad as hell! Either we withdraw all troops from harm's way or Shock and Awe the Iranians. Having our kids picked off one by one is not right. Just like the Iranian-backed Houthis and the mess in the Red Sea eventually, they'll get lucky and kill innocent civilians trying to make a living and the target is us. and UK .
Unfortunately you have utterly poor leadership in the US as of late. Marred by inaction for crucial issues yet highly active & engaged for non-issues. I agree with you on a fundamental level, it is not right to have your children pay the price for nothing achieved (neither peace nor victory). You guys have to make a hard decision and make it soon. Either redraw or wipe the floor with them. Whichever you choose there will be oppositions.

Half measures are no measures. When you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately you have utterly poor leadership in the US as of late.
What do you mean as of late as I've reflected on past issues nothing is getting done because they are afraid to make the other party look good. We've become a government for the party and not the people, tribalism. Our government just tugs our chains for votes. If they resolved issues they wouldn't have anything to run on.
I agree with you on a fundamental level, it is not right to have your children pay the price for nothing achieved (neither peace nor victory). You guys have to make a hard decision and make it soon. Either redraw or wipe the floor with them. Whichever you choose there will be oppositions.
Mankind will eventually wipe themselves out because our weapons are getting more powerful. Throughout time, everyone wanted to be king of the hill. Something about power and money that drives people nuts.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This makes me mad as hell! Either we withdraw all troops from harm's way or Shock and Awe the Iranians.

..."shock and awe" over Bagdad is how we got into this mess in the first place.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
..."shock and awe" over Bagdad is how we got into this mess in the first place.
I know. But we have two alternatives after what Bush did and what our government has done since then. I can place myself in a parent's shoes as if I had skin in the game. I wouldn't want my child over there waiting till his number is called. What are they doing in the first place?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know. But we have two alternatives after what Bush did and what our government has done since then. I can place myself in a parent's shoes as if I had skin in the game. I wouldn't want my child over there waiting till his number is called. What are they doing in the first place?

..my understanding is the 300+ US soldiers at this ["Tanf"] base are supporting Jordanian operations against factions of IS who are supported by Iran.

adding:
Tower 22 is part of a constellation of bases that house some 2,500 U.S. troops in Iraq and another 900 in Syria. Those forces have been focused chiefly on preventing a resurgence of the Islamic State, the terrorist network that took over large swaths of both countries until a U.S.-led military campaign left the group decimated.
Tower 22 functions as a support site for another U.S. outpost across Jordan’s border in Syria that has taken on a different sort of mission. The isolated Tanf base, located along a key highway that connects Tehran to its ally, Damascus, has served as a platform for U.S. forces pushing back against Iran’s efforts to supply partners and proxies in Syria and beyond.

Noting the two Navy Seals who died earlier this month were attempting to board a ship suspected to have Iranian arms.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tower 22 is part of a constellation of bases that house some 2,500 U.S. troops in Iraq and another 900 in Syria. Those forces have been focused chiefly on preventing a resurgence of the Islamic State, the terrorist network that took over large swaths of both countries until a U.S.-led military campaign left the group decimated.
Tower 22 functions as a support site for another U.S. outpost across Jordan’s border in Syria that has taken on a different sort of mission. The isolated Tanf base, located along a key highway that connects Tehran to its ally, Damascus, has served as a platform for U.S. forces pushing back against Iran’s efforts to supply partners and proxies in Syria and beyond.
And your point? How long does this go on forever? Let Middle Eastern countries worry about themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And your point? How long does this go on forever? Let Middle Eastern countries worry about themselves.

...to respond to these attacks, but in a way that does not lead to still more US troops being deployed to Middle Eastern countries.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...to respond to these attacks, but in a way that does not lead to still more US troops being deployed to Middle Eastern countries.
So acts of war against the US should continue?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So acts of war against the US should continue?

...not sure why you think a strong, but thought out response would lead to continued acts of war against the US. One thing is certain: A "schock and awe" attack on Iran would lead to long term conflict and additional US military casualties.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...not sure why you think a strong, but thought out response would lead to continued acts of war against the US. One thing is certain: A "schock and awe" attack on Iran would lead to long term conflict and additional US military casualties.
Don't we already have a long-term conflict with Iran? I gave two options what do you suggest?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't we already have a long-term conflict with Iran? I gave two options what do you suggest?

We don't have a hot war with Iran directly. As for options, I'm not in a position to say (i.e. the intel (who actually did this? was it ordered by Iran? What military options are on table etc).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
agree with you on a fundamental level, it is not right to have your children pay the price for nothing achieved (neither peace nor victory). You guys have to make a hard decision and make it soon. Either redraw or wipe the floor with them. Whichever you choose there will be oppositions.

Half measures are no measures. When you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one.
I agree, My boys were coming to age and talked about joining the military. Then the Benghazi issue came up and thats when I realized that the government didn't care about our kids. Now it's all about regime change. Yes, we do have a hard decision to make but the status quo makes me sick to my stomach.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We don't have a hot war with Iran directly. As for options, I'm not in a position to say (i.e. the intel (who actually did this? was it ordered by Iran? What military options are on table etc).
How many of the ducks in the pond need to be killed before it should be a Hot war or withdrawal? When the media says Iran backed that's all I need to hear. It's easy to ride the fence when you have no skin in the game. I can place myself in a parent's shoes and imagine the day I receive a telegram.
What military options are on table etc).
In my mind, there are only two. Since you didn't mention withdrawal you accept the status quo. If we can withdraw from Afghanistan what about the rest of the Middle East?

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A U.S. official confirmed to Fox News the drone from an Iranian proxy that killed 3 American service members in Jordan and injured others got past the air defenses for Tower 22 because it was mistaken for a U.S. drone expected to return to the base at the same time.

The Wall Street Journal initially reported on this development on Monday. A U.S. official confirmed the information to Fox News.

A U.S. official tells Fox News a U.S. drone was returning to the base at about the same time the Iranian-proxy attack drone was incoming, which caused confusion. The drones were "in the vicinity" of one another.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

A U.S. official confirmed to Fox News the drone from an Iranian proxy that killed 3 American service members in Jordan and injured others got past the air defenses for Tower 22 because it was mistaken for a U.S. drone expected to return to the base at the same time.

The Wall Street Journal initially reported on this development on Monday. A U.S. official confirmed the information to Fox News.

A U.S. official tells Fox News a U.S. drone was returning to the base at about the same time the Iranian-proxy attack drone was incoming, which caused confusion. The drones were "in the vicinity" of one another.
Well that seems like a pretty bad flaw in their security protocols.

• Agree
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,604.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
..my understanding is the 300+ US soldiers at this ["Tanf"] base are supporting Jordanian operations against factions of IS who are supported by Iran.

adding:

Noting the two Navy Seals who died earlier this month were attempting to board a ship suspected to have Iranian arms.

Apparently, there is also a drug smuggling operation in the area and the troops monitor Syrian exports of drugs from there. So-called religious terrorists might well be gangsters on the side.

Upvote 0