Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said earlier, the US has the reconnaissance capability to find them and the offensive capability to strike them wherever they run. Since they started this more general assault on shipping, the US should have always been giving them no moment of rest. This is the one way I respected Reagan. He'd say, "Do what's necessary to make them stop. Brief me when you're done."

Margaret Thatcher (Reagan's ideological twin sister) had a similar philosophy in dealing with the military. During the short Falkland Islands war, after Argentina surprisingly sank the HMS Sheffield, reporters were badgering her for a response. She answered, "I sent our commander to the Falklands to prosecute this war. When he returns, he will give me his report. Until then, I have nothing to say to you."

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is from the original post:

When U.S. forces launched strikes this month on Iranian-backed groups in Yemen, Syria and Iraq, Tehran publicly warned that its military was ready to respond to any threat. But in private, senior leaders are urging caution, according to Lebanese and Iraqi officials who were briefed on the talks. They spoke to The Washington Post on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive conversations. Washington Post

Cynical stuff from the Ayatollah. He blows hard in public but quietly tones down the rhetoric for the useful idiots he arms.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was surprised to learn (about a year ago) that TOW missiles were wire guided.
Interestngly, the wire was just long enough to cover the distance between towns in the Fulda Gap in W. Germany. German reservists in each village had TOW missles. It was a major concern for the Red Army, in the event of a general war in Europe. The Fulda Gap was the one spot in Germany that had "tank friendly" terrain for a massive armor attack.

There's a good description of the way these missiles would have worked in The Third World War by Sir John Hackett.

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What? Really? Do they trail a wire behind them when flying to their destination, all the way back to the launch site?
Yes. TOWs have a long wire. Maybe I'm just enough of a military nerd that none of this is new to me.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes. TOWs have a long wire. Maybe I'm just enough of a military nerd that none of this is new to me.
I have to admit that the idea of a missile streaking a wire several kilometers long behind it hadn't occured to me. It still seems a bit unreal. What happens to that wire after the missile hits? Do they wind it back up? Is it just lying around?

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have to admit that the idea of a missile streaking a wire several kilometers long behind it hadn't occured to me. It still seems a bit unreal. What happens to that wire after the missile hits? Do they wind it back up? Is it just lying around?
I believe it's generally just left there. If the firing platform is multi use, it's disconnected from that as well.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's just left there. I wonder if civilians have been scarfing it up after exercises.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I understood that battlefield guided weapons used to have wires to control them. Such technology is not feasible for long range rockets. Wires have been superseded.

The types we hear about in use in Ukraine, are radio-controlled. Even the IRA learned to use mobile phone technology for detonating their bombs.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's just left there. I wonder if civilians have been scarfing it up after exercises.
Something I didn’t see when I looked last time - how does the operator see where it’s going? Does it have a camera?

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Something I didn’t see when I looked last time - how does the operator see where it’s going? Does it have a camera?
It would not be difficult or expensive to install. Mobile phones have cameras.

Cruise missiles , which have been around for decades, used radar to scan the terrain and referred to on-board maps. These days they probably just have a version of satellite navigation similar to cars. Again, familiar and cheap technology.

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's a video feed from the munition to the operator so they can guide it. If you want to look up Taistelukenttä 2020 (Battlefield 2020) on the official Finnish Defense Force YouTube channel, it's a short video/movie about how modern conflict might start and look like. There's a part where a hovercraft is destroyed by a coastal Jaeger group using a guided missile and it shows the video feedback in it for a few seconds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it is a TOW, it is wire guided. That's what the W stands for. TOW are designed to be man-transportable, something a squad can use and carry, "shoot and scoot." And relatively inexpensive. And also relatively short-ranged (too short to acquire satellite guidance). That's why they don't have the internal smarts of a cruise missile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Radar tracking.
It would not be difficult or expensive to install. Mobile phones have cameras.

Cruise missiles , which have been around for decades, used radar to scan the terrain and referred to on-board maps. These days they probably just have a version of satellite navigation similar to cars. Again, familiar and cheap technology.
My question was less about the cost and more about the responsiveness. The missiles fly fast, low to the ground, and for a fairly short travel time. That’s not a lot of time for the operator to steer it.

Reading a bit more, it seems that the operator’s optics are fed into the guidance system, similar to how you’d paint a target with IR.

Upvote 0