Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Iran, eager to disrupt U.S. and Israeli interests in the Middle East but wary of provoking a direct confrontation, is privately urging Hezbollah and other armed groups to exercise restraint against U.S. forces, according to officials in the region.

To emphasize the new directive, Iran has dispatched military leaders and diplomats across the region to meet with local officials and militia members.

“Iran is doing its utmost to prevent the expansion of the war and the escalation from reaching the point of no return,” said an Iraqi official with close ties to Iranian-backed forces there.

U.S. officials say the message might be having some effect. As of Saturday, Iranian-backed militias in Iraq and Syria hadn’t attacked U.S. forces in more than 13 days, an unusual lull since the war in Gazabegan in October. The militants held their fire even after a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad killed a senior Kataib Hezbollah official.

Days after Kataib Hezbollah claimed responsibility for the attack that killed the three U.S. Army reservists, an Iranian military commander landed in Baghdad last month to meet with the group’s leaders. The commander pressured it to issue a statement suspending attacks on U.S. targets.

The leaders were unhappy with the suspension, the Iraqi official said, but acceded to the request of the country that has trained and armed their forces.

Iranian officials met with members of Hezbollah this month in Lebanon. One Hezbollah member summarized Tehran’s message: “We are not keen on giving Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu any reason to launch a wider war on Lebanon or anywhere else.”

One Iranian-backed group has given no indication of standing down. The Houthis in Yemen have disrupted global trade by harassing commercial shipping through the Red Sea

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We'll see if the Red Sea trade route normalizes. Hopefully.

...it seems not. US forces conducted strikes this past weekend...including the destruction of an underwater drone - a first by the Houthi's:

CENTCOM successfully conducted strikes against three mobile anti-ship cruise missiles, one unmanned underwater vessel (UUV) and one unmanned surface vessel (USV). It was the first observed Houthi employment of a UUV since attacks began in Oct. 23, according to CENTCOM.

CENTCOM determined the targets presented an imminent threat to U.S. Navy ships and merchant vessels in the region.

And today:

The crew of a cargo ship in the Red Sea was forced to abandon ship Monday night after the Houthi militia hit it with a ballistic missile fired from Yemen, the U.S. military said.

• Informative
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
including the destruction of an underwater drone
I didn't know there was such a thing but why not? But it makes sense, lol

"The Iranian-backed Houthis have fired dozens of missiles for weeks at passing ships without inflicting much damage or often missing their targets, an effort aimed at trying to force Israel to abandon its war against Hamas militants in Gaza."

The problem here is that we are using $100 missiles to knock down $10 missiles, and the cost to us the longer this fight goes on. A couple of weeks ago Houthis hit an oil tanker and luckily the warhead didn't go off.
The crew of a cargo ship in the Red Sea
Unfortunately, this cargo is food. We don't have flagged ships in that area we a protecting everyone else.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know there was such a thing but why not? But it makes sense, lol

I understand underwater drone's are harder to detect than arial drones or missiles and if used together in a coordinated attack, a Navy ship's defenses could be overwhelmed. The Ukranians have demonstrated the power of these weapons against the Russian Navy.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand underwater drone's are harder to detect than arial drones or missiles and if used together in a coordinated attack, a Navy ship's defenses could be overwhelmed. The Ukranians have demonstrated the power of these weapons against the Russian Navy.
Couldn't you imagine a torpedo that never misses? Those poor people in subs.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Couldn't you imagine a torpedo that never misses?
Drones aren't "never miss", they are externally controlled. This is true of all the drones (surface, land, air, underwater). They are only as good as their operators and the uplink.
Those poor people in subs.
The resemblance of submarines to underwater coffins is a constant.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Drones aren't "never miss", they are externally controlled. This is true of all the drones (surface, land, air, underwater). They are only as good as their operators and the uplink.

The resemblance of submarines to underwater coffins is a constant.
I wonder how underwater unmanned vehicles would be controlled.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I wonder how underwater unmanned vehicles would be controlled.
I think they mostly operate like a diesel sub with the snorkel above water until it is time to attack. I can't remember if I saw a Ukrainian one or it was a surface drone with an enclosed shell.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know because we would have a lot of sunken ships in the Red Sea. I was just thinking of radio-controlled torpedos. Like we have radio control drone toys.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I know because we would have a lot of sunken ships in the Red Sea. I was just thinking of radio-controlled torpedos. Like we have radio control drone toys.

Didn't some torpedoes "fly by wire" (and maybe still do?) Some missiles do like the TOW (the "W" is for wire-guided) missile.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think they mostly operate like a diesel sub with the snorkel above water until it is time to attack. I can't remember if I saw a Ukrainian one or it was a surface drone with an enclosed shell.
So they get their commands through the snorkel and then execute them automately?

• Haha
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Didn't some torpedoes "fly by wire" (and maybe still do?) Some missiles do like the TOW (the "W" is for wire-guided) missile.
I'm not that smart. I know surface missiles fly by wire. I would have to look it up but my head hurts from answering your other reply.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So they get their commands through the snorkel and then execute them automately?
Probably. Target ID is the final problem. I know it is tricky for cruise missiles w/o uplinks. (Fail safe zones, etc.)

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not that smart. I know surface missiles fly by wire. I would have to look it up but my head hurts from answering your other reply.
I was surprised to learn (about a year ago) that TOW missiles were wire guided. Didn't realize that was a thing. (I have to go now, but I'll look at the other thread later.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I was surprised to learn (about a year ago) that TOW missiles were wire guided. Didn't realize that was a thing. (I have to go now, but I'll look at the other thread later.)
What? Really? Do they trail a wire behind them when flying to their destination, all the way back to the launch site?

Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
What? Really? Do they trail a wire behind them when flying to their destination, all the way back to the launch site?

I have heard that is what they have. A wire trailing behind them.

In World War II the German's had the Fritz-X bomb that was guided by wire. It used a wire to prevent potential jamming of a signal.

Fritz-X Bomb

Upvote 0