Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Whose, "faith," is it? Would somebody please explain 2 Timothy 3:15 to me.
It just means faith in Jesus. Having faith in god and following his path to salvation summarized just right in acts 2:38. Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The phrase, "unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus," is Christ's faith. There is no need to scab in, "your faith," in 2 Timothy 3:15.
Then in essence one is saying our knowledge of Christ's faith in Himself is our salvation. Knowledge is salvation, not our faith (which is a gift of God). I agree knowledge is a gift of God too, but this is a bit extreme.

So everyone knowing this, including Satan, is saved. Bit of a Universalist version of understanging 2 Tim 3:15.

• Agree
Reactions: Thursday
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Whose, "faith," is it? Would somebody please explain 2 Timothy 3:15 to me.
My understanding is that Timothy's mother and grandmother were Jewish, but Timothy's father was a gentile, so Timothy was raised as a gentile, but taught some of the scriptures by his mother and grandmother.

This is why I believe Paul is telling Timothy to hold on to what he was taught in his childhood.

Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

The day I found 2 Timothy 3:15 KJV!
Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Try reading the passage itself. It's not complicated unless you hold a complicated man made dogma.
No, it is very simple, salvation is through faith which is in Christ Jesus. This is what can put the whole Christian Religion under question, because Christianity uses the believer's faith in stead. And after the lie has been told, assumption of the position is all that's left, that and sin.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, it is very simple, salvation is through faith which is in Christ Jesus. This is what can put the whole Christian Religion under question, because Christianity uses the believer's faith in stead. And after the lie has been told, assumption of the position is all that's left, that and sin.

And sin can shipwreck faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenneth Redden

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My understanding is that Timothy's mother and grandmother were Jewish, but Timothy's father was a gentile, so Timothy was raised as a gentile, but taught some of the scriptures by his mother and grandmother.

This is why I believe Paul is telling Timothy to hold on to what he was taught in his childhood.
That story you are reading is for those of the scriptures, it is not for us. The message for us today, is in the letters of the text, as the apostle Paul has shown us in all his epistles.
This is the only interpretation for us in the KJV Bible. All the others are, "private interpretation".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That story you are reading is for those of the scriptures, it is not for us. The message for us today, is in the letters of the text, as the apostle Paul has shown us in all his epistles.
This is the only interpretation for us in the KJV Bible. All the others are, "private interpretations.

Why isn't your interpretation a private interpretation?

What is your authority to interpret scripture?

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No! sin cannot shipwreck Christ's faith!

Sin can shipwreck our faith and then we won't go to heaven. Christ doesn't need faith he's God. We need faith.

1 Tim 1:19
Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.

2 Peter 2:20
And when people escape from the wickedness of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up and enslaved by sin again, they are worse off than before.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Try reading the passage itself. It's not complicated unless you hold a complicated man made dogma.
i did read the passage sir, in the original Koine Greek. Frankly, whether Geneva's "dogma" or Rome's "dogma" what is true depends on what the text says. i do not believe that Rome has a correct interpretation and Geneva does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And what are you trying to say?
Sigh,

It is quite evident from the text that, grace, faith, and salvation are the gift of God. There are no works involved. It is ALL given by God, Grace, Faith (your ability to believe) and salvation itself. It was the answer to your initial question.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
i did read the passage sir, in the original Koine Greek. Frankly, whether Geneva's "dogma" or Rome's "dogma" what is true depends on what the text says. i do not believe that Rome has a correct interpretation and Geneva does.

I'll stick with the authors, not the revisionists from 1500 years later.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sigh,

It is quite evident from the text that, grace, faith, and salvation are the gift of God. There are no works involved. It is ALL given by God, Grace, Faith (your ability to believe) and salvation itself. It was the answer to your initial question.

Grace is the gift. Grace enables us to have faith and be pleasing to God.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Grace is the gift. Grace enables us to have faith and be pleasing to God.
Except for the fact that the Greek grammar of the New Testament does not support such an interpretation. i'd fail any of my students who proposed such an interpretation, because it is bad grammar. Paul and Luke were a lot of things, but they weren't clumsy with Greek grammar.

Incidentally, as bad as your exegesis is, it does not support your point.

Now what was it you were accusing me of earlier?...Oh yes, it was "a complicated man made dogma."

And for what reason should we accept your complicated man made dogma since it does not agree with the grammar of the text of the passage?

Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sin can shipwreck our faith and then we won't go to heaven. Christ doesn't need faith he's God. We need faith.

1 Tim 1:19
Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.

2 Peter 2:20
And when people escape from the wickedness of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up and enslaved by sin again, they are worse off than before.
Are you trying to tell me that what Christ did for me to give me everlasting life, was not enough and that I am going to have to help? No way! You're going to, "heaven," whether you like it or not. The thing is that because we can no longer be judged according to sin, we must be judged according to works. Good works are things that abide by our new commandment, in John 13:34.

Upvote 0