Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whose, "faith," is it? Would somebody please explain 2 Timothy 3:15 to me.
When the NT speaks of faith in this fashion--without being more specific--you are safe to think that it refers to accepting Christ as one's Lord and Savior. There's no complicated theological proposition implied.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the NT speaks of faith in this fashion--without being more specific--you are safe to think that it refers to accepting Christ as one's Lord and Savior. There's no complicated theological proposition implied.

I agree with what you have said, but I note there are English grammar nuances varying by translation that can cause opportunities for misdirection. The use of the word "which" is an opportunity, although the lack of a preceding comma in this case ought to keep it clear...to those who understand what the lack of a preceding comma does to the word "which."

Lacking the preceding comma is what makes the "which" in this sentence unspecific rather than specific.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now faith is:
confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1

67 Bible Verses about Faith

I really dislike that particular translation because it fails to understand what the writer of Hebrews is doing.

The writer took a common Greek method of doubling down on an assertion to show its literal intent. The writer used two extremely substantial, literal terms:

"Faith is the hupostasis of what we hope for, and the elegchos of what we do not see."

Those particular Greek words were not used conceptually, they were used substantially. The word hupostasis is what the Greeks used to refer to actual building foundations and substructures (such as the arches that supported aquaducts). The word elegchos used in Greek scientific and mathematical theorems to describe the observations on which their conclusions rested; elegchos was what you saw from which you deduced something you did not see. The Greeks had other words to speak conceptually of "confidence" and "assurance."

The fact that the writer used words that indicated palpable objects--he doubled down on it--indicates that he was describing faith as the palpable proof of something that was not palpable.

The better translation is:

"Faith is the substance of what we hope for and the evidence of what we do not see."

He is saying that if you have faith, you know you have faith. You feel it, you know without doubt that something is operating within you that had not been there before, and that thing you can discern is the substance and evidence of things that are not yet within your ability to discern.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is most likely referring to Timothy’s faith from his childhood, but I would think it is also applicable to a “babe in Christ”, a new convert, or anyone who believes regardless of age. Studying The Word teaches those who will believe, as well as cautioning those that don’t, and re-directs believers that get led away from the Lord, making them wise unto salvation through their faith in the Word.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Timothy's faith. Am not sure what is tricky or not obvious about that. By association we can apply the wisdom of this Saint's words in some respects to our own faith.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really dislike that particular translation because it fails to understand what the writer of Hebrews is doing.

Ah. I see.

New International Version
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

New Living Translation
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.

English Standard Version
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Berean Study Bible
Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the certainty of what we do not see.

Berean Literal Bible
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not being seen.

New American Standard Bible
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

King James Bible
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Now faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen.

International Standard Version
Now faith is the assurance that what we hope for will come about and the certainty that what we cannot see exists.

NET Bible
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being convinced of what we do not see.

New Heart English Bible
Now faith is being confident of what we hope for, convinced about things we do not see.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Now faith is the conviction concerning those things that are in hope, as if it were these things in action, and the revelation of those things that are unseen;

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Faith assures us of things we expect and convinces us of the existence of things we cannot see.

New American Standard 1977

Jubilee Bible 2000
Faith, therefore, is the substance of things waited for, the evidence of things not seen.

King James 2000 Bible
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

American King James Version

American Standard Version
Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Now faith is the substance of things to be hoped for, the evidence of things that appear not.

Darby Bible Translation
Now faith is [the] substantiating of things hoped for, [the] conviction of things not seen.

English Revised Version
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the proving of things not seen.

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
Now faith is a well-grounded assurance of that for which we hope, and a conviction of the reality of things which we do not see.

World English Bible
Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, proof of things not seen.

Young's Literal Translation
And faith is of things hoped for a confidence, of matters not seen a conviction,

• Winner
Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

(A) And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures:

Timothy's mother was a Jew and had become a believer his father was gentile. (Acts 16:1-3)

Timothy had learned Judaism (remember there is NO NT yet) as a child. And the doctrine of Christianity from its chosen apostle. Christianity is founded on the law and the prophets, So, Timothy was able to compare the doctrines & understand that Christianity was truth.

(B) Able to make thee wise unto salvation:

Paul is speaking of the Jewish Scriptures. That they are able to make us wise unto salvation provided we have faith in Jesus Christ. The Jews are unsaved though they know these Scriptures, because they believe not in Christ. Christ is the end of the law in order to be justified (Rom 10:3-4). Justification now comes thru faith to all that believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenneth Redden

The day I found 2 Timothy 3:15 KJV!
Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is the believer's faith that was given to them, as a gift, from God. (Ephesians 2:8 & Romans 12:3)
But 2 Timothy 3:15 does not say, "believer's faith;" it says "faith which is in Christ Jesus." It is very simple and straight forward. You do not need to change anything in order to understand it. Especially with, "hast not denied my faith," in Revelation 2:13 KJV; faith unto salvation is due to faith in Christ Jesus, not the faith of the believer!

[2Ti 3:15 KJV] 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But 2 Timothy 3:15 does not say, "believer's faith;" it says "faith which is in Christ Jesus." It is very simple and straight forward. You do not need to change anything in order to understand it. Especially with, "hast not denied my faith," in Revelation 2:13 KJV; faith unto salvation is due to faith in Christ Jesus, not the faith of the believer!

[2Ti 3:15 KJV] 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
Whoops!?! and this changes the meaning of Ephesians 2:8, placing the whole Christian Religion in question!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Whoops!?! and this changes the meaning of Ephesians 2:8, placing the whole Christian Religion in question!
The fact is that we are already sin free, and all we are suppose to do is to love. Now; how is the church going to extract money from the masses with a belief like that? Its not, enter; sin, and we have death and power, and everybody must deal with their own "lusts".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

The only thing in question is a clear abject lack of understanding

I now see this was a dishonest post. You wern't looking for an answer. You were out to stump for a postion you think you have.

Here is more help:

Ok, a sinless Christ was faithful unto death. In doing so Christ fulfiled the laws requirements for sin. Christs resurrection is proof God accepted Christs sin atoning sacrifice.

Without Chtists foundation if faith we are forever lost in sin. Having said that, we must acknowledge & confess our sin against God the Father. And place """our faith""" in the sin atoning sacrifice found in the death burial & reurrection of Christ.

Acts 20:21 Repentance & Faith:

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repent: To change ones mind, expression of regret, to turn change course.

Repentance toward God

Repentance has the article (towards): this repentance (To change ones mind, expression of regret, to turn change course.) is due to God.

The Gentiles must repent of their godless rerobate lives. Acknowledge God's existence, admitt & confess that all yours sins have been committed against His rule.

The Jews must repent of breaking covenant Jer 31:32 turning away from God

So, also, faith: the faith which is due (article again) """toward""" Christ, as the advocate and mediator

Wether Jew or Gentile. An absolute requirement for salvation/reconciliation/forgiveness & a full pardon.

Every person must place their Faith/trust in the Lord Jesus sin atoning sacrificial redemptive payment, who died for our sins, was buried & rose again. And now advocates on our behalf.

Repentance is no atonement for sin. Of itself repentance is insufficient

Repentance doesn't/can't make compensation for any acts of transgression. It only prepares the soul for pardoning mercy.

Jesus finished the work of redemption. But, we must choose to accept it:

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Romans 10: 9 If you will confess with thy mouth that Jesus is Lord, & and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

10 For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; & with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
(GOD CREDITS OUR BELIEF IN JESUS RESURRECTION WITH A DECLARATION OF RIGHTEOUSNESS. SALVATION COMES WHEN WE CONFESS JESUS AS LORD & BELIEVE HE ROSE FROM THE GRAVE)

Also see 1 Cor 15:1-4

(Grace = unmerrited/undesreved/unearned/pardon, is a Gift from God. Given only to those that: Place their Faith/trust in the Lord Jesus sacrificial redemptive payment, who died for our sins, was buried & rose again.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son "hath" everlasting life & he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him
(WHOEVER BELIEVES ON JESUS """HAS-PRESENT TENSE""" ETERNAL LIFE)

We must choose to "BELIEVE" on the "SON" & you """HAVE""" Eternal Life!

Unbelievers Are Condemned
John 3:18 But he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

(Unbelievers in the son """ARE (already-right now) & WILL be CONDEMNED""")

Those that won't/don't Believe = """UNBELIEF""" = NON-BELIEVERS and will face the wrath of God"

A personal choice is required: Accept & believe or reject & deny.

May we all choose wisely. Maranatha

When we confess our sins & change our minds about sinning. Showing our repentance toward God. Gods grace is activated. And when we place or Faith in the Sin Atoning Sacrifice found in the Death, Burial & Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. God places/imputes our sins onto Jesus. And places/imputes Jesus righteousness onto us Rom 3:28. And a soveriegn God give us a full pardon from sin.

Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Timothy's faith. Am not sure what is tricky or not obvious about that. By association we can apply the wisdom of this Saint's words in some respects to our own faith.
Timothy's faith? How do you figure, because that is not a literal reading of the text. Timothy's faith is not, "faith which is in Christ Jesus". Timothy's faith is faith which is inside Timothy! Am not sure what is tricky or not obvious about that?!?

• Optimistic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is the believer's faith that was given to them, as a gift, from God. (Ephesians 2:8 & Romans 12:3)

Hi Joe,
I believe the gift in Eph 2:8 is grace

Ephesians 2:8-10

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Parsing
8 For by (Gods) grace (unmerited/unearned favor) are ye saved through faith (in the finished redemptive work of Jesus Christ); and that not of yourselves (no self effort is involved): it is the gift of God (The Gift = GRACE is given, not earned)

9 Not of works (no self effort), lest any man should boast (No self effort, No Self serving credit can be taken).

And Roman 12:3 Every one has been given the faith to & will be given the chance, to believe Jn 12:32.

Not everyone will choose to use that faith.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son "hath" everlasting life & he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him

John 3:18 But he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Those that won't/don't Believe = """UNBELIEF""" = NON-BELIEVERS and will face the wrath of God"

Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The only thing in question is a clear abject lack of understanding

I now see this was a dishonest post. You wern't looking for an answer. You were out to stump for a postion you think you have.
Maybe. I say that I was opening a point of contention in a fair and open discussion. You know; this is, Controversial. I don’t want to, “stump” (boy, what a word!) anybody. I want people to think.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi Joe,
I believe the gift in Eph 2:8 is grace

Ephesians 2:8-10

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Parsing
8 For by (Gods) grace (unmerited/unearned favor) are ye saved through faith (in the finished redemptive work of Jesus Christ); and that not of yourselves (no self effort is involved): it is the gift of God (The Gift = GRACE is given, not earned)

9 Not of works (no self effort), lest any man should boast (No self effort, No Self serving credit can be taken).

And Roman 12:3 Every one has been given the faith to & will be given the chance, to believe Jn 12:32.

Not everyone will choose to use that faith.

Grace/Salvation/Faith are all gifts from God and I agree with the rest of your post.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

I said that faith comes from God, and Jesus is God, so I don't see what your point is.

Upvote 0