2 Thessalonians 2:11

• Thread starter NotEnoughFaith2BeAthiest
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NotEnoughFaith2BeAthiest

Hi, this is my first post.
I'm having a debate with someone and they brought up a verse and said it says that God is a liar.

"For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie"

I know the anwser is no that God isn't a liar, and I know the anwser is somewhere but can someone please help me find it?
Thanks in advance,
NEF2BA

HypnoToad

*croak*
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
✟82,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you read verse 10, this is directed to those who have already rejected the truth. God is only holding them to the choice they previously made - they've already decided to embrace lies as truth.

Also, it was common in ancient thought to ignore secondary causes in God's actions. This means that things He merely allowed to happen are often related as though God actually did them Himself. So, by ancient thought, God merely allowing the delusion would be seen as God actually causing the delusion.

Upvote 0

WAB

Nov 12, 2005
Hawaii
✟1,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NotEnoughFaith2BeAthiest said:
Hi, this is my first post.
I'm having a debate with someone and they brought up a verse and said it says that God is a liar.

"For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie"

I know the anwser is no that God isn't a liar, and I know the anwser is somewhere but can someone please help me find it?
Thanks in advance,
NEF2BA

Will not pretend to have the absolute answer to this admittedly difficult question. However there are a couple of things that one should consider. Number one, is that when one looks at the immediate context, it is clear that those referred to are already apparently beyond the possibility of coming to faith in Christ. They have rejected the truth in favor of satanic deception.

Probably the strongest refutation of the accusation that God is a liar is found in Titus 1:1,2... "Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledgement of the truth which accords with godliness, in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie promised before time began...." (NKJV)

There are some things that God cannot do... He cannot change, and He cannot lie.

Further help is gained by reading the first chap. of Romans, verses 18 through to the end, with emphasis on vs. 26-28.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.