16% of US science teachers are creationists

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion

I suppose at least it's only 16%, but I'm still baffled how actual science teachers could reject such a large part of modern science.

Another scary bit:

However, a quarter of the teachers also reported spending at least some time teaching about creationism or intelligent design. Of these, 48% – about 12.5% of the total survey – said they taught it as a "valid, scientific alternative to Darwinian explanations for the origin of species".

It doesn't say exactly what they are teaching regarding creationism/ID. But the ones that may be advocating it, I wonder if they are familiar with the fact that it's a violation of US constitutional law (that whole Establishment Clause in the 1st Amendment dealy).

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another scary bit:

It doesn't say exactly what they are teaching regarding creationism/ID. But the ones that may be advocating it, I wonder if they are familiar with the fact that it's a violation of US constitutional law (that whole Establishment Clause in the 1st Amendment dealy).

Unless they are teaching it in a private institution.

You scare easily.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As difficult it is for states to find qualified science teachers, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that, at any given moment, 16% of the collective biology departments is teaching out-of-field*. I spent the last year teaching chemistry with a certification in biology.

*I hope that tortured-looking grammar is correct.

Upvote 0

Vene

In memory of ChordatesLegacy
Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Unless they are teaching it in a private institution.

You scare easily.
Yeah, I scare easy when the Constitution is being violated (and people call atheists and liberals unpatriotic). I scare easily when I see pseudoscience masquerading as science. And yes, it's happened in the past. In the former USSR there was a man by the name of Lysenko who worked hard to convince the leaders to outlaw the teaching of Darwinian evolution. It worked, he then spread his drivel throughout the Union and it lead to an agricultural nightmare. I don't want the same thing to happen in the US, I don't want pseudoscience used in the name of religion. I don't want famine to spread throughout the entire country. link link link

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I scare easy when the Constitution is being violated (and people call atheists and liberals unpatriotic).

• Oh beautiful for spacious skies.
I scare easily when I see pseudoscience masquerading as science.

• For amber waves of grain.
And yes, it's happened in the past.

• For purple mountain majesties.
In the former USSR there was a man by the name of Lysenko who worked hard to convince the leaders to outlaw the teaching of Darwinian evolution.

• Above the fruited plain.
It worked, he then spread his drivel throughout the Union and it lead to an agricultural nightmare.

• America! America! God shed His grace on thee!
I don't want the same thing to happen in the US, I don't want pseudoscience used in the name of religion.

• And crown Thy good with brotherhood.
I don't want famine to spread throughout the entire country.

• From sea to shining sea.

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Must be terrible when you're not the only one being persecuted anymore.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was there a point to your post AV?

What? Me fear?

Psalm 33:12 said:
Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

Psalm 144:15 said:
Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ugh, I looked at the comments there and it's just full of Stupid from both sides.

You said it. This was my favorite though.
Some evolutionary scientists changed their views on small changes over long periods of time because of the lack of transients in the fossil record.

Upvote 0

ChordatesLegacy

Jun 21, 2007
✟17,761.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I suppose at least it's only 16%, but I'm still baffled how actual science teachers could reject such a large part of modern science.

Another scary bit:

As bad as these statistics are, there are nowhere near as bad as they were two hundred years ago when I suspect nearly all teachers were creationists.

To win a war, battles will be lost from time to time, but science will win, it is inevitable when creationism is based on magical mysticism and science on truth.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What, you make a point?

Ya --- my point is --- I'm not scared. Especially since God is still in control of things around here.

I once knew an old lady back in the early '80s that was so scared the Russians were coming, you just couldn't talk to her.

I'm not that way --- bring'em on --- and if I get nuked in the process, I get nuked in the process.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Ya --- my point is --- I'm not scared. Especially since God is still in control of things around here.

Why should you be scared? The ones who are concerned are the ones against promoting ignorance and mythology as science education.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

I once knew an old lady back in the early '80s that was so scared the Russians were coming, you just couldn't talk to her.

I'm not that way --- bring'em on --- and if I get nuked in the process, I get nuked in the process.

Excuse me, but I thought Lucifer (SATAN) was running things on this planet, and will continue to do so until God sets things right (when ever He gets around to it).

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
As bad as these statistics are, there are nowhere near as bad as they were two hundred years ago when I suspect nearly all teachers were creationists.

To win a war, battles will be lost from time to time, but science will win, it is inevitable when creationism is based on magical mysticism and science on truth.

That makes me feel better. After all the trend is really more important than exactly where we are on the curve.

I found 16% disturbing, moreso after I read the article as this 16% refers to those who think the earth was created within the last 10,000 years. Creationists as usually used here, not just those who believe in a creator (or first mover).

I found one other number surprising and it makes me wonder about the accuracy of the survey. 2% said they spent no time at all on evolution. That number seems far too LOW to me. Just how far too low depends on just where they are drawing the line for highschool. But I had 2 High School science teachers who never mentioned evolution as far as I can recall. I took Physics and Chemistry, neither of which touch on evolution. Now things would be different in small rural schools. One or two science teachers and you can bet each would have either biology or a general science class and thus should be mentioning evolution in one of their classes. If that environment dominates the survey I can see 2%, but I also then see a selection bias which may make the 16% inflated.

Upvote 0

DrunkenWrestler

Eat your Wheaties and know your logical fallacies.
Dec 20, 2003
$1 reject store
✟10,355.00
Faith
Atheist

your_brain.jpg

Upvote 0

ChordatesLegacy

Jun 21, 2007
✟17,761.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That makes me feel better. After all the trend is really more important than exactly where we are on the curve.

I found 16% disturbing, moreso after I read the article as this 16% refers to those who think the earth was created within the last 10,000 years. Creationists as usually used here, not just those who believe in a creator (or first mover).

I found one other number surprising and it makes me wonder about the accuracy of the survey. 2% said they spent no time at all on evolution. That number seems far too LOW to me. Just how far too low depends on just where they are drawing the line for highschool. But I had 2 High School science teachers who never mentioned evolution as far as I can recall. I took Physics and Chemistry, neither of which touch on evolution. Now things would be different in small rural schools. One or two science teachers and you can bet each would have either biology or a general science class and thus should be mentioning evolution in one of their classes. If that environment dominates the survey I can see 2%, but I also then see a selection bias which may make the 16% inflated.

It is not just evolution and biology that is under attack from the Christian creationist loonies, it is also physics, chemistry, geology etc.

Examples:

The speed of light is not constant as physics suggests.

Creationists use this argument to overcome the problem of being able to see stars and galaxies billions of light years away.

The half lives of radiogenic isotopes was different in the past, not the same as chemistry suggests.

Creationists use this argument to overcome the problems of being able to radio-metrically date things to billions of years old.

As far as geology is concerned, I do not know where to start.

Creationists argue from a point of ignorance that EVERYTHING indicated by geology is wrong.

Ignorance like that cannot last for ever.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0