Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Seems there have been some according to a wiki link, but there have been other mass killings using non-firearms so it appears people who couldn't get a gun decided to use other methods. Just shows if one wants to kill people, if there is a will there is a way.

List of massacres in Australia - Wikipedia

So, you're just going to continue to ignore the obvious, are you?

Mass shootings in the US: there have been 1,624 in 1,870 days

Mass Shootings | Gun Violence Archive

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know what the black market is like in Australia but in America you can buy anything you want so a gun ban wouldn't stop people from getting guns if they wanted them. One can even 3D Print most of a gun now and using one that can handle hardened metals you could make a gun. Bullets can be made, re-packed...

This is not the middle east where the Soviets or other retreating armies leave their equipment on site, up for grabs.

As good as every illegal gun in the US started life as a legal weapon.

Also: the vast majority of mass shootings in the US, is done with legal weapons.

• Agree
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
But Arson attacks can kill that many not to mention suicide bombers. I'm glad Australia hasn't had the violence other countries has but I'm just saying strict gun control doesn't stop it.

But it reduces it extremely.
I really don't get how this keeps on being ignored.

• Agree
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

So you found a mass shooting from 16 years ago in a country with strict gun laws.
And you concluded from that that "gun control has nothing to do with it", while in your utopian america, with as good as NO gun control, you barely need to look back more then 16 hours to find a mass shooting?

And that seems reasonable to you?

Just food for thought. Some will be able to deal with it.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm all for records search for prior crimes AND mental and emotional illness.

Newsflash: before someone becomes ill, they are healthy.

But the Democrats in Congress are against release of psychiatric records and lists of drugs.

Well, there is such a thing as "medical privacy". If you are going to start making laws that would require doctors to "report" certain diagnoses to the authorities, that would be a serious breach of such privacy.

This is a big deal.
It would also result in the nasty side effect of mentally ill people distrusting doctors out of fear of getting reported. Then there are also the risks of mis-diagnose etc.

It's a can of worms that you do not want to open.

Although it is my understanding that "privacy" has already become an extremely lose and almost irrelevant concept in the states.

Do I think someone on psychotropic drugs should be able to buy guns? No.

Newsflash: before someone uses drugs, they are sober and not using drugs.
Do you expect gun owners who want to experiment with drugs, should register themselves and turn over their guns first?

I'm also for state mandatory certification of CC gun owners like we have in Texas.

Why? What good will it do?
How is a piece of paper going to prevent someone from picking up his legally purchased gun and start spraying bullets around?

I'm also for mandatory gun and rifle safety courses before stepping on a firing range. The type the NRA encourages and sponsors. Too many yahoos on the ranges I go to don't know basic safety.

Same question.
So at that point, gun owners know how their guns work and how they need to handle them "safety wise". What good will that do? How will that prevent them from picking up their gun and spraying bullets?

Seems to me that it would actually only teach them how to do that more effectively....

Therefore, what you propose are stricter measures on background checks looking for crimes. That already happens. Or are you saying a longer waiting period would reduce gun crime?

Longer waiting periods, random checks and strict criteria, demonstrably reduce gun violensce everywhere where such legislation has been put in place following mass-shooting events.

This is not a "what if" question.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No means as effective as a firearm to do that much damage that effectively over a short period of time, though.

I'd take my chances outrunning a knife over a bullet. I'm also yet to see someone take out 50 people with a knife from 1200 feet, but call me pedantic.

Ever hear of a bomb?

They're a lot easier to make (and kill with) than guns...

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Yes they had another school shooting in 2009.
Australia hasnt had a school shooting ever but had 13 mass shootings in the 18 years leading to 1996. In 1996 they bought back every single semi-automatic and automatic weapon and destroyed them and then legislated severely. Since then there have been ZERO mass shootings of any type.
Don't think that can work in the US, we have a long border with Mexico which can be useful for bringing in anything including guns.

Anyone in favor of that very secure border wall with Mexico, a mostly failing state?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mexico which can be useful for bringing in anything including guns.

Anyone in favor of that very secure border wall with Mexico, a mostly failing state?

Guns go mostly South into Mexico.
Yes, build the wall.
Looks like Mexico is doomed.
Many down there worship witchcraft.
M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Guns go mostly South into Mexico.
Yes, build the wall.
Looks like Mexico is doomed.
Many down there worship witchcraft.
M-Bob
Somehow if the US tried to confiscate and prevent gun sales, there will still be guns coming across the borders.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How come you posted an event in Germany from 16 years ago Bob? whats the point or issue you were getting at given its such old news???
Well said. That is almost the same thing Hillary said about Bengasi.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When we have a rash of school bombings let us know. Until then let us focus on the problem at hand.

The greatest school massacre in U. S. history was due to an intentional explosion - maybe we'll see more...

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you drive, do you wear a seat belt?

Do you leave your home and vehicle unlocked at all times?

I'm curious, because if there's no point in taking such actions to limit a risk -- a well documented and statistically probably risk -- why would a person do those things?
Some people do all of the above yet decide to drive their cars on busy sidewalks killing pedestrians.

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
Some people do all of the above yet decide to drive their cars on busy sidewalks killing pedestrians.

If evil or mentally ill people decide to kill, they will. But that does not negate our responsibility to minimise the risk.

The point about cars is a good one except there is a massive difference. Cars have lots of safety features designed to minimise injury - guns are designed to injure and kill.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The greatest school massacre in U. S. history was due to an intentional explosion - maybe we'll see more...

As I said, when it becomes endemic we will cross that bridge. For now let us focus on the problem in front of us.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The point about cars is a good one except there is a massive difference. Cars have lots of safety features designed to minimise injury - guns are designed to injure and kill.

No one likes to hear it, but...sometimes deadly force is the only solution to a problem.

If you doubt this, try arguing with one of these crazy school shooters...

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If evil or mentally ill people decide to kill, they will. But that does not negate our responsibility to minimise the risk.

Cars on the inside but not outside.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Jeepers, Bob. This was a pretty dang rude thread title. You should have put in there 16 died in Germany school shooting in 2002. I was thinking, oh no, they've copy-catted us. Poor kids murdered at school again. Sure am glad that in Germany they don't have the school shootings every year like we do. They must be doing something right with their gun laws.

• Agree
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well said. That is almost the same thing Hillary said about Bengasi.
Im not American so I didnt understand the comment. By Hillary - thats Clinton? and by "Bengasi" is that a person or are you referring to Benghazi in Libya.

Upvote 0