Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
How come you posted an event in Germany from 16 years ago Bob? whats the point or issue you were getting at given its such old news???

Sixteen years is old news? When were you born, yesterday?

If our philosophy must be only directed by the events of today, then we will be like the fickle stupid masses that the media push around like reeds in the wind. Count me out.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sixteen years is old news? When were you born, yesterday?

If our philosophy must be only directed by the events of today, then we will be like the fickle stupid masses that the media push around like reeds in the wind. Count me out.
Well firstly if you are addressing me then I expect politeness.
But this was a question to Bob. Its not current news but in the "Kitchen Sink" area so Im trying to understand the motive or point of the post.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
And what did they do? They reacted legislatively. I think they had one more, 7 years later, which they reacted further legislatively and I don't think they've had one since.

You know, it's almost as if putting in more checks works.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Looks like gun control has not much to do with it.
M-Bob

Erfurt school massacre - Wikipedia
Most likely. Most of these killings seem to be by unstable elements. I've never seen responsible and law abiding people commit such massacres. I was also thinking off the killings at my Alma Mater Virginia Tech. The boy who committed those crimes was unstable as well.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
And what did they do? They reacted legislatively. I think they had one more, 7 years later, which they reacted further legislatively and I don't think they've had one since.

You know, it's almost as if putting in more checks works.
Yes they had another school shooting in 2009.
Australia hasnt had a school shooting ever but had 13 mass shootings in the 18 years leading to 1996. In 1996 they bought back every single semi-automatic and automatic weapon and destroyed them and then legislated severely. Since then there have been ZERO mass shootings of any type.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Just proves that strict gun control can't and won't stop people from getting guns and committing these horrible crimes.

6 school shootings in a span of 96 years.

There have been more than that in the U.S. this year.

As has been stated to the point of beating a dead horse; eradicating these events is not going to happen, but they can be limited. We see this type of action being taken in almost every single industry and experience we interact with daily either directly or indirectly.

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Australia hasnt had a school shooting ever but had 13 mass shootings in the 18 years leading to 1996. In 1996 they bought back every single semi-automatic and automatic weapon and destroyed them and then legislated severely. Since then there have been ZERO mass shootings of any type.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

It's like fire. 3 elements to exist, remove one of them and it ceases to exist.

I do not advocate banning guns, but clearly something drastic needs to happen.

Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Just proves that strict gun control can't and won't stop people from getting guns and committing these horrible crimes.
But it did. Since the event Bob described they have had 4 mass events in the last 16 years.

Id say thats a very good outcome compared to 346 mass events just in 2017 alone in the USA, with one event allowing the perpetrator to amass a cache of weapons in a hotel room and spray 1000s of rounds on a crowd killing 58 and injuring 850+ in Vegas.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Seems there have been some according to a wiki link, but there have been other mass killings using non-firearms so it appears people who couldn't get a gun decided to use other methods. Just shows if one wants to kill people, if there is a will there is a way.

List of massacres in Australia - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Seems there have been some according to a wiki link, but there have been other mass killings using non-firearms so it appears people who couldn't get a gun decided to use other methods. Just shows if one wants to kill people, if there is a will there is a way.

No means as effective as a firearm to do that much damage that effectively over a short period of time, though.

I'd take my chances outrunning a knife over a bullet. I'm also yet to see someone take out 50 people with a knife from 1200 feet, but call me pedantic.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But it did. Since the event Bob described they have had 4 mass events in the last 16 years.

Id say thats a very good outcome compared to 346 mass events just in 2017 alone in the USA, with one event allowing the perpetrator to amass a cache of weapons in a hotel room and spray 1000s of rounds on a crowd killing 58 and injuring 850+ in Vegas.

I don't know what the black market is like in Australia but in America you can buy anything you want so a gun ban wouldn't stop people from getting guns if they wanted them. One can even 3D Print most of a gun now and using one that can handle hardened metals you could make a gun. Bullets can be made, re-packed...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No means as effective as a firearm to do that much damage that effectively over a short period of time, though.

I'd take my chances outrunning a knife over a bullet. I'm also yet to see someone take out 50 people with a knife from 1200 feet, but call me pedantic.

But Arson attacks can kill that many not to mention suicide bombers. I'm glad Australia hasn't had the violence other countries has but I'm just saying strict gun control doesn't stop it.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what the black market is like in Australia but in America you can buy anything you want so a gun ban wouldn't stop people from getting guns if they wanted them. One can even 3D Print most of a gun now and using one that can handle hardened metals you could make a gun. Bullets can be made, re-packed...

Most places that don't allow firearm ownership or have strict legislation have horrendous access to firearms and the access they do have are typically just as dangerous to the user considering it's likely a replica with a drilled barrel that will probably blow their hand up and pepper their eyes with shrapnel.

The sheer proliferation of firearms in the U.S. would prove problematic, but one sensible step would be registration of firearms to individuals as well as firearms safes to keep them secure when not in use. Far too many firearms enter the black market because they're stolen from properties that fail to secure them properly.

With great power comes great responsibility. It's time to realise that.

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Gee you must be desperately defending the case for guns if you have to pullout cases involving arson or a hammer in Australia.
yes there were 10 events that involved 2 or more people - This is a good link because it shows that although the events are few, They were A) domestic violence - Australia is aggressively acting on Domestic Violence with tough legislation around it - when it comes to DV all western nations have a long long long way to go.

B) one arson
C) one truck attack - since then bollards have sprung up wherever large numbers of the public walk.

The point - if you have a problem then limit it - identify and manage the risks?

has the link you posted proven the effectiveness of risk mitigation???

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
But Arson attacks can kill that many not to mention suicide bombers. I'm glad Australia hasn't had the violence other countries has but I'm just saying strict gun control doesn't stop it.

Again, it isn't about stopping it completely, it's about limiting the occurrence and severity of events that do occur.

This happens in every single industry in the world. Bad things happen and the industry reacts to try and prevent or make it safer, often times with legal requirements after an inquiry at the government level. Health and safety, food standards, pharmaceuticals and the rigorous testing they undergo...

Air travel isn't guaranteed safety but when accidents happen the industry scrambles to understand how and why it happened and how to prevent it. That would very likely be enforced legislatively as well in the event that people weren't responsible enough to make that decision themselves.

It really shouldn't be surprising. It's common sense.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wow - you guys really do have issues and will continue to have them if you cant see you have a problem that your not even close to controlling. Youre having a 9/11 20 times a year. The terrorists are now just sitting back and doing nothing because you're doing it to yourselves and legitimatising why you should do nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: SupernovaK
Upvote 0