USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What do you think the 144,000 means? I always thought the 144,000 was the pastors and teachers of Gods Word throughout history, I was listening to Hope through Prophesy today and he thinks the 144,000 is God's saints who will be alive when Jesus comes. I have never heard this version before. What are your thoughts? Thanks and God bless!

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What do you think the 144,000 means? I always thought the 144,000 was the pastors and teachers of Gods Word throughout history, I was listening to Hope through Prophesy today and he thinks the 144,000 is God's saints who will be alive when Jesus comes. I have never heard this version before. What are your thoughts? Thanks and God bless!
I agree with the "Hope through Prophesy" position on that one. That is the version I have always heard about from wayy back.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
EGW would tend to support this position, as she refers to the 144,000 as literal. I always thought of it as a symbolic number, but the more I read on it, the more I think it's an actual number.

As she spoke of the earthquake that actually God's voice:

"The living saints, 144,000, in number, know and understand the voice, while the wicked thought it was thunder & an earthquake." -The Day Star, January 24, 1846; A letter to brother Jacobs, December 20, 1845​

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
EGW would tend to support this position, as she refers to the 144,000 as literal. I always thought of it as a symbolic number, but the more I read on it, the more I think it's an actual number.

As she spoke of the earthquake that actually God's voice:

"The living saints, 144,000, in number, know and understand the voice, while the wicked thought it was thunder & an earthquake." -The Day Star, January 24, 1846; A letter to brother Jacobs, December 20, 1845​
With the SDA church spreading God’s Word throughout the world and the church growing, I find this number to be very small. I believe a lot of the saints will not make it to the time of tribulation. That’s a lot of people dying off before the end of time or people falling lost. What are your thoughts on this?

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
With the SDA church spreading God’s Word throughout the world and the church growing, I find this number to be very small. I believe a lot of the saints will not make it to the time of tribulation. That’s a lot of people dying off before the end of time or people falling lost. What are your thoughts on this?

I think you're on to something here.

Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
EGW on this:

Many Laid to Rest Before Time of Trouble

It is not always safe to ask for unconditional healing.... He knows whether or not those for whom petitions are offered would be able to endure the trial and test that would come upon them if they lived. He knows the end from the beginning. Many will be laid away to sleep before the fiery ordeal of the time of trouble shall come upon our world.—Counsels on Health, 375 (1892).

The Lord has often instructed me that many little ones are to be laid away before the time of trouble. We shall see our children again. We shall meet them and know them in the heavenly courts.—Selected Messages 2:259 (1899).
Just because the number is small does not mean that the number of the saved is small. The 144,000 are the ones that are alive, receive the Seal and endure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think you're on to something here.

Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
EGW on this:

Many Laid to Rest Before Time of Trouble

It is not always safe to ask for unconditional healing.... He knows whether or not those for whom petitions are offered would be able to endure the trial and test that would come upon them if they lived. He knows the end from the beginning. Many will be laid away to sleep before the fiery ordeal of the time of trouble shall come upon our world.—Counsels on Health, 375 (1892).

The Lord has often instructed me that many little ones are to be laid away before the time of trouble. We shall see our children again. We shall meet them and know them in the heavenly courts.—Selected Messages 2:259 (1899).
Just because the number is small does not mean that the number of the saved are small. The 144,000 are the ones that are alive, receive the Seal and endure.
That’s a lot to wrap my head around. There must be some massive destruction during the time of little trouble or before.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
That’s a lot to wrap my head around. There must be some massive destruction during the time of little trouble or before.

Kinda puts things into perspective doesn't it? I would like to be alive to see it, but that's a small number of people to aspire to be a part of.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Kinda puts things into perspective doesn't it? I would like to be alive to see it, but that's a small number of people to aspire to be a part of.
I’m going to ask my dad what he thinks. He is an ordained SDA pastor. I’ll report back.

Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My dad thinks its literal too. Apparently a lot of people will die before the tribulation and during tribulation. Their personal opinion is they think COVID is here to stay and will keep getting worse. ‘

The good news is our Lord is coming soon and there will be no more sorrow and no more sin.

Off topic-Have you seen the video of how bees and beavers keep the Sabbath?

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
My dad thinks its literal too. Apparently a lot of people will die before the tribulation and during tribulation. Their personal opinion is they think COVID is here to stay and will keep getting worse. ‘

The good news is our Lord is coming soon and there will be no more sorrow and no more sin.

Off topic-Have you seen the video of how bees and beavers keep the Sabbath?

Yes, I have! That one blew my mind. It made me wonder how many other animals do as well, but I've read it's not necessarily consistent in nature.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have! That one blew my mind. It made me wonder how many other animals do as well, but I've read it's not necessarily consistent in nature.
My dad was telling me about it I need to find it online!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums