100 pushup challenge

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, I can't easily post links right now, but if you Google "100 pushup challenge" it'll come up, probably number 1. I'm familiar with the theories of health and fitness, but not with the practice of creating a regimine and progressing toward a set goal, so i have a few questions about it.

Does the rate at which it gets harder look reasonable? It looks...rather fast, to me, bit then I've been somewhat aimlessly doing strength training for the past week or so, and when I started that today, I was able to do more than my usual.

Today, I did 5, 5, 7, 6, 14--the last set was supposed to be as many as I could handle, so I think I'll start higher next time.

So...it seems that was my only question--does that seem like a reasonable thing? Also, it's not the only thing I'm doing. I'm doing the pushups as one part of an interval training ...program....thing.

Verticordious

Sep 4, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
✟8,768.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, I can't easily post links right now, but if you Google "100 pushup challenge" it'll come up, probably number 1. I'm familiar with the theories of health and fitness, but not with the practice of creating a regimine and progressing toward a set goal, so i have a few questions about it.

Does the rate at which it gets harder look reasonable? It looks...rather fast, to me, bit then I've been somewhat aimlessly doing strength training for the past week or so, and when I started that today, I was able to do more than my usual.

Today, I did 5, 5, 7, 6, 14--the last set was supposed to be as many as I could handle, so I think I'll start higher next time.

So...it seems that was my only question--does that seem like a reasonable thing? Also, it's not the only thing I'm doing. I'm doing the pushups as one part of an interval training ...program....thing.
How many push-ups you can do depends on how you train. I can bench press 300 for half a dozen reps or so, but last time I tried push ups I couldn't do more than about 60. Granted, that was several months ago, but there's no practical reason to train for high repetition. Why would be the use of being able to bench 135 a hundred times without stopping? It is of much more practical value to be able to bench 335. I guess push-ups are better than nothing, but if you're not increasing the weight your progress is going to continue to slow down more and more as the number of reps you do increases.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Not sure if I found the site or not. The one I found felt anyone doing 50 was part of a very small minority. When I was a teen 50 was no problem at all. It was a hard target for marine pushups. (EG pushing up hard enough that you you could get yuor hands off the ground and clap.

I've never liked a one regimine fits all or even most. In the right area (meaning the water) I can still do a workout that would kill many people. But a decent track guy can easily do the same ot me when it comes to running.

Upvote 0

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I know this thread is old but I've found a big helper with pushups is using weight training to build muscle, after you've added some muscle mass your strength and endurance will dramatically increase. You will be able to push longer without being exhausted and you will recover faster afterward. Muscle exercises shouldn't be an effort to cardio your way through which is what I've seen TONS of military people do. They focus too much on breathing through the exhaustion rather than building muscle to increase sheer strength and stamina. Leave the cardio for running, build strength and muscle stamina for muscle exertion.

Also when you do a pushup be mindful of where you place your hands and how your hand is placed on the ground. Some people have a tendency to only press off the outside edge of the hand were if you keep the entire hand pressed flat on the ground you generate more power and you're optimal form for pushing should be with your hands at or just above your nipples. Keep your head facing the ground with the neck relaxed, looking forward with the head raised only adds unneeded stress.

Upvote 0