Arizona
✟8,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have a deep belief in one God—the Creator of all things. Every morning, I get on my knees and surrender myself to this higher power. This practice has been a source of comfort and strength for me.

However, I've recently been exploring Christianity and have encountered a challenge that I'm struggling to reconcile. Within Christianity, there is an emphasis on believing in Jesus. I'm grappling with the concept of Jesus being God, and how that aligns with my own belief in one God.

In my heart, I feel that if Jesus is God, then it should be the same thing as believing in one God. But I can't seem to fully grasp this concept, and I'm unsure of how to approach my faith from this perspective. It feels like a contradiction, yet I know that many Christians find harmony in this belief.

I'm hoping that some of you might be able to share your experiences and insights on this matter. How have you reconciled your belief in one God with the teachings of Christianity? Is there a way to understand Jesus as God that still aligns with my belief in a singular Creator?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a journey of self-discovery and spiritual growth, and I'm eager to learn from others who have faced similar challenges.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have a deep belief in one God—the Creator of all things. Every morning, I get on my knees and surrender myself to this higher power. This practice has been a source of comfort and strength for me.

However, I've recently been exploring Christianity and have encountered a challenge that I'm struggling to reconcile. Within Christianity, there is an emphasis on believing in Jesus. I'm grappling with the concept of Jesus being God, and how that aligns with my own belief in one God.

In my heart, I feel that if Jesus is God, then it should be the same thing as believing in one God. But I can't seem to fully grasp this concept, and I'm unsure of how to approach my faith from this perspective. It feels like a contradiction, yet I know that many Christians find harmony in this belief.

I'm hoping that some of you might be able to share your experiences and insights on this matter. How have you reconciled your belief in one God with the teachings of Christianity? Is there a way to understand Jesus as God that still aligns with my belief in a singular Creator?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a journey of self-discovery and spiritual growth, and I'm eager to learn from others who have faced similar challenges.
I've been a believer for 50 years. There are many things that I still do not understand. Understanding is not essential to belief. I am inclined to intellectualism. If anything, it gets in the way of simple faith. Jesus is indeed God. He claimed that Himself. The Father is God and the Holy Spirit is God. They are one.

My advice is to read the gospel of John and the letter to the Colossians. Let the Bible speak to you. Ask God to reveal the truth to you. He delights to make Himself known. Be persistent. He has promised to reveal Himself to those who diligently seek Him. If you struggle with a passage, ask God to show you what it means.

If you want to get to know someone, it takes time in their company. It is no different with God. I advise that you have a notebook and write down questions and also the answers when you receive them. Often, the Bible answers itself, so study is very beneficial.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see the Incarnation as very much tied to the redemption of creation. That is, the way for God to heal the creation, to fix all the ways that humans and the rest of creation are broken, was to enter into the creation -- to experience a human life and a human death, and in so doing, to join divinity to the creation in a way that began a great healing process.

So, I don't see Jesus as a second god, that we somehow have to reconcile with the first, creator God. Rather, and importantly, Jesus is the same God as the one who creates and sustains the world. The Creator entering into the creation is an important part of the picture for me.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Acts 17 22-31 may help. "The unkown God."
Blessings

Upvote 0

mmarco

Aug 7, 2019
Roma
✟54,312.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Hi,

in the first place, you should understand that only God can comprehend and know the essence of God; we must accept that our limited and finite mind cannot comprehend God in His essence. Actually, I think that we cannot fully comprehend ourselves either; man remains always partially a mistery for himself. It is totally illogical to think we can comprehend the nature of God.

God is intrinsically in His essence Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is three Persons who are one God. What is difficult to understand is the idea that "God" and "Person" are different concepts. As I have said, we must accept the idea that God in His essence is beyond our capacity of understanding and we must accept His revelation about Himself.

God is the source of all true goodness and all true love; God is love and therefore God could not be perfect if He was a single person because love implies more than one person.

God is perfect and complete, God is life in and of Himself, God is self-sufficient. In the dimension of the eternity, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit love infinitely one another.

I think that the strongest argument supporting the divine nature of Christ is that the christian concept of God and of divine love is the highest possible concept. It is not possible that man could conceive a concept of God superior to the true God, God being the highest good, the source of all good and all true love. I find that the very idea that God loves us so much that He chose to divest himself of his divinity, take on human nature, and agree to undergo crucifixion to save us, expresses such a high concept of God and of divine love that it can comes only from God and it is certainly a truth. I believe that Chirst suffered His Passion to help us have faith in God and trust God, to make us feel loved by God and to make us understand that God is close to us, that God is good and merciful, that we are so precious for Him so that we can truly trust Him, open our heart to Him and let Him change our existence in true life and true love. The Christian faith is unique because it gives a very concrete and unique meaning to the concept of divine love: in fact God wanted to express his love in a concrete act, sharing human existence to the point of accepting a very painful agony.
In the Christian faith, love is not just a theoretical and vague concept; the passion of Christ is a clear and concrete realization of true love and teaches us the true meaning of love.

I hope this may help,

Marco

Upvote 0

Berserk

Oct 15, 2011
✟44,678.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Here are the 4 key verses that might clear up your confusion:
(1) "Though being of the same essential substance (Greek: "morphe") as God, He did not think e quality with God something to cling to, but emptied Himself (Philippians 2:6-7)."
This is a very literal Greek translation. The Greek "morphe" means "same essential substance" (not "form") when used philosophically.
The key question here is "Emptied Himself of what?" His divinity? His divine prerogatives--omnipresence, omnipotence, omniscience, etc.?
The answer is that He emptied Himself of His divine prerogatives to become human. (2) below explains why.

(2) "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with us in our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted just as we are, yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15)."
Jesus embraced all our weaknesses, so that He had no advantage over us that would undermine the legitimacy of His moral and spiritual example.
His temptations were just as real as our own.

(3) "Although He was a Son, He learned obedience through what He suffered (Hebrews 5:8)."
Obedience did not come naturally to Jesus any more than it does for us. He had to learn by trial and error just as we do. Human maturation is not in itself sinful. Christians forget that in Gethsemane Jesus demands to get out of His fate before submitting to God's will for Him:
"He said: "Abba Father, for you all things are possible. Remove this cup (of suffering) from me... (Mark 14:36)!" He didn't even know when His second coming would occur (Marj 13:32)!

(4) Jesus increased in wisdom... and in divine and human favor (Luke 2:52)."
How could the 12-year-old Jesus increase in wisdom unless He previously lacked wisdom?
And how could He increase in favor with God unless He was previously less in favor with God?
He should have told His parents where He was going when He abandoned their entourage on the journey back to Galilee to go back to the Temple to ask questions! He panicked His parents about His safety and forced them to embark on an anguishing 3-day search for Him. Mary rightly rebukes Him for His inconsiderateness: "His mother said to Him, "Why have you treated us like this?" Look, your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety (Luke 2:48).""

Upvote 0

SplendidSeraphim

Spreading love and cookies
Apr 6, 2023
California
✟9,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I PMed you, I'd love to discuss this!

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The answer to this question is the Christian belief in the Trinity.

The doctrine of the Trinity can be, admittedly, difficult to wrap one's head around.

I think it may be helpful to provide some foundation before diving right into the technicalities of Christian Trinitarian theology.

The best place to start is right at the beginning of the Christian movement. We have a growing community expanding all over the ancient world, as followers of Jesus are bringing the message of Jesus to cities as they travel around. This Good News (Gospel) of what God has done through Jesus. And basically right from the beginning we see this awareness among the early Christians that Jesus is unique. He's not just unique because He's the Messiah/Christ, though that is certainly unique. But that Jesus shares identity with the God of Israel in some way.

We see this throughout the writings of the New Testament. For example in the letters of St. Paul we see a number of instances where Paul will quote or reference passages from the Old Testament that are talking about the God of Israel (YHWH) and applies them to Jesus. Paul will, also, speak in great lofty language about Jesus, where Jesus is said to be "the fullness of Deity in bodily form", or is straight up called "God". It's not just in Paul's writings either, in the Gospel according to John it begins by opening up by saying of Jesus, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God ... and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us". In the same Gospel Jesus is recorded as saying things like, "Before Abraham was, I Am" which seems to be a rather implicit if not explicit reference to what God said to Moses, "I AM that I AM", in fact the response to Jesus saying that was people wanting to stone Him for blasphemy for claiming Divinity.

So from the beginning of Christianity there was this understanding that Jesus, though human--He was born, He grew up, He spoke to people, He had disciples, He experienced emotion, He was arrested, beaten, crucified, died, and rose from the dead--was also somehow God. That Jesus shared identity with the God of Israel. And it is right there in the New Testament that we see a three-fold name or way of speaking about God. For example Jesus told His followers that when they baptize, to baptize "in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit". Now, it doesn't say "names of" but rather "name of" singular. We see this triadic formula used a lot throughout the New Testament and early Christians.

That there is God the Father, Jesus Christ His only-begotten Son, and the Holy Spirit. Three. And yet there is only one God.

By the end of the 2nd century the biggest Christological debates Christians were having were not whether Jesus was Divine or not, but rather how was Jesus Divine.

Some, like Paul of Samosata, said that Jesus became Divine by God's power, a view known as Adoptionism or more formally Dynamic Monarchianism. More popular, however, was a view held by people like Sabellius, Praxeas, and Noetus whose argument was that Jesus was, in fact, God the Father in the flesh. That "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" were actually three faces, or "masks" which God could wear, and that Jesus was simply God the Father in human form. This view is sometimes called Sabellianism after Sabellius, or called Modalism, but more formally Modalistic Monarchianism.

Both of these views were, however, rejected by most Christians. And so most Christian theologians and bishops argued two points:

1) There is only one God, therefore if Jesus is Divine it can't be because He became a god.
2) There is actual distinctiveness and relationality between Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Jesus, therefore, isn't the Father, He's the Son. And thus Jesus has a real relationship with God the Father, they aren't the same "Person"

And that is what sets the stage for the next, and largest theological battle in early Christianity: The Arian Controversy.

Arius was a presbyter (elder or priest) from Alexandria in Egypt. As the story goes, Arius was listening to his bishop, Alexander, preaching. In his preaching Alexander said that the Son was of the same Being as the Father; that is, Jesus is God even as the Father is God.

Arius' responded to this by criticizing Alexander, because he thought what Alexander was saying sounded a lot like what the Modalists had been saying. Arius argued that's no good, because the Modalists were heretics.

But as Arius was going around bad-mouthing Alexander, it eventually led to the various bishops of Egypt coming together and, ultimately, they decided to ban Arius from his office of preaching. Arius decided, instead of doing that, he would leave Egypt and went to Palestine, and began preaching to anyone who would listen there. And he gained a rather big following in places in Caesarea.

News of this began to spread throughout the entire eastern half of the Roman Empire. And soon bishops and clergy were all writing letters, and talking about this. According to the contemporary historian, Eusebius of Caesarea, one couldn't even go to the marketplace to buy bread without getting into an argument about what Arius was teaching.

So what was Arius teaching? Well according to Arius there was only one uncreated God, the Father. However the Father, in order to create the material universe, wanted a divine agent, a "Second God". So the Father begot and created the Word, His Son, and it is the Word and Son that then created the universe. So according to Arius there were, in fact, two Gods. The uncreated and eternal God (the Father), and a lesser second God (the Son, aka Jesus). So it isn't that Arius thought Jesus wasn't Divine, wasn't God, but rather Arius believed Jesus was a second God in addition to God the Father. Some of Arius' writings have survived, and we even have creeds drawn up by followers of Arius that explain all this.

The controversy got so heated that the Roman emperor, Constantine, got involved. And so Constantine asked that the various bishops gather together at the city of Nicea to hash everything out, and make an official statement about what Christians actually believe. That's a very simplistic way of telling it, but still.

At Nicea around 320 bishops gathered together, most of them were from the eastern half of the Roman Empire, the bishop of Rome for example wasn't able to make the trip because he was old and the trip was too far, so there were two representatives in his place.

The Council of Nicea, which met in the year 325 AD, through much debate and argument ultimately came on the side of Alexander and his disciple Athanasius, which is to say, Arius' teachings were rejected. And a creed, or confession of faith, was written up and 318 of the bishops who were there signed on and agreed that this was a faithful confession of Christian teaching.

It's not that the Council changed anything, or adopted something new, it's that the Council rejected Arius' views as being inconsistent with the historic faith of the Christian Church.

What did the Creed of Nicea say? Well specifically, concerning Jesus, it said,

"We believe ... in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the only-begotten, begotten of the Father before all ages. Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten not made, of the same Being as the Father"

In other words what was affirmed at Nicea was two things:

1) Jesus is not the Father, but is distinct, as the Son of the Father.
2) It is as Son of the Father that He is God, because He has the same Being as the Father.

One Being, but two distinct "Persons".

The Council of Nicea in 325 didn't have much to say about the Holy Spirit, because that wasn't the focus. However, decades later, another theological controversy would show up, this time about the Holy Spirit, and another gathering of bishops happened, this time in Constantinople, which would re-affirm the Nicene Creed as well as expand on the Holy Spirit.

This confession of faith known as the Niceno-Constantinoplian Creed (usually just called the Nicene Creed for short), remains the standard confession of faith of almost all Christians today. From Roman Catholics, to Eastern Orthodox, to Lutherans, to Methodists, to Presbyterians, et al. Basically Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestants of all stripes accept and most use the Nicene Creed as a true statement of Christian faith.

Now, the word "Trinity" isn't used anywhere in the Creed. Rather the term "Trinity" was actually first used much earlier in the debates against the Modalists.

So what's the summary of all this?
Here's the take-away I want to give: When the Christian calls Jesus "God", it is because we understand that Jesus is of the same Being as God the Father. He is not a second god, He is not a quasi-divine being. Jesus really is God, He is God even as God is God. While He is distinct from the Father, He nevertheless is One with the Father substantially.

So there is only one God, and yet there are Three who are that one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

A later Christian confession of faith, known as the Athanasian Creed, says it like this:

"The [Christian] truth is this ... we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity, neither confusing the Persons, nor dividing the Being."

The other take-way I want others to have is this: The doctrine of the Trinity didn't just show up one day, rather it is a position that is ultimately a way of trying to maintain the central beliefs of the Christian Church:

1) There is only one God.
2) The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God.
3) The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct "Persons".

The only way to maintain all three of these is what we call the doctrine of the Trinity. It affirms the unity of God as well as the trinity of Persons. I have attempted to explain the alternative (and rejected) views of the early centuries as a way of showing how what we are actually saying is less "We understand God" and more "We don't understand God, but here is how God has shown Himself to us anyway".

The doctrine of the Trinity is, in a sense, our way of trying to say the least wrong thing about God. It isn't about our understanding God, but precisely that we don't know; but we can speak of the ways God has shown Himself and spoken about Himself. The experience of God we have through Jesus, the way that Jesus tells us about the Father, and yet, is One with the Father. That somehow God relates to God, as Father and Son and Holy Spirit. One God, and yet Three Persons.

So, therefore, Jesus is God, because He and His Father are One, and yet He isn't the Father, He's the Son. And even still, the Holy Spirit is One with the Father and the Son, yet He isn't the Father or the Son, the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit. We know God as the Three-in-One. One God, Three Persons, Holy Trinity.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The Hebrew word "echad" refers to a plural unity, such as one bunch of grapes, so there can be certain senses in which something is one and certain senses in which it is not one. Furthermore, there is also pagan ideas of there are certain emanations such as a god of justice and a god of mercy, where each trait is its own entity that we are possessed by when we are acting in accordance them, and some might see justice as being incompatible with mercy, but the Bible claiming that God is chad is saying there is one God who has all of these traits as part of His unified nature and that justice and mercy are His right and left hands.

In Colossians 1:15, it says that the Son is the image of the invisible God, and in Hebrews 1:3, it says that the Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact image of His nature, and the problem with idolatry is that it is seeking to become like a misrepresentation of the nature of God, so if the Son were anything less than that, then he would not be echad with the Father and worshiping him as God would be idolatry. In other words, we can't see the Father, but the Son is who we see when look at that the Father because the Son embodies the nature of the Father through living in sinless obedience to His law. When we are having faith in God, we are trusting in the nature of God with all of our heart to correctly divide between right and wrong by obeying His law instead of leaning on our own understanding (Proverbs 3:1-6), so this is what we are doing when we are believing in Christ through partaking in his nature by following his example of obedience to God's law through faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Lord Jesus Christ is God as John 1:1 attests. Probably the most key Gospel chapters that show that the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit are God are John 14 (John 14:1-31), John 15 ( John 15:1-27), and John 16 ( John 16:1-33). Note that their emphasis is on each Person of God in order that God is revealed as Father, Son, & Holy Spirit in their very sequence from 14 to 16.

Also compare Genesis 1:1-2 to John 1:1-3. In Genesis we find the Holy Spirit revealed early on while in John we have the Son of God also as God & in clear equal authority ( also distinction) to the Father. In Genesis 1:26 it is written that God said, “let Us make man in Our image”. When God decided to scatter the Tower of Babel, it is written in Genesis 11:7, “let Us go down”.

In Exodus 3:14, God says, “I AM THAT I AM” and tells Moses that He is “I AM” to the people. In John 8:56-59 the Lord Jesus Christ calls Himself “I am” in verse 58. The reaction to His identification as God is as if He was a blasphemer.

Colossians 1:1-29 is a great overview of that God the Father and Jesus Christ the Son are clearly God and of the Gospel preaching for living daily life.

It is clear that the early church knew Jesus Christ as God incarnate as St. Ignatius wrote to Ephesus about 40 years after Paul:

There is one only physician, of flesh and of
spirit, generate and ingenerate, God in man, true Life
in death, Son of Mary and Son of God, first passible
and then impassible, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shaul

Nov 27, 2022
Columbus
✟19,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Don't think of God as one dimensional. I know it's hard since we have to explore the divine with what we understand within our corporeal world. We tend to try and anthropomorphize God. Understandable, but remember unlike us, God is not answerable to time or space.

The best way to explain the Trinity is to examine things in this material world that can relate the idea of the Trinity and what we can see and relate to. I am going to use three examples in hopes that it will help.

(1) The simple example of an egg: An eggs contains three basic parts (1) The Shell (2) The Egg White (3) The yolk. Each part of the egg can exist separate from the other. I can peel off the shell, separate the white from the yolk and I have three separate parts of the egg. But do I have an egg with just the shell? No. Do I have an egg with just the egg white (inner and outer membrane)? No. If I have just the yolk do I have an egg? No, I have part of the egg. Same with God. The Egg as a whole (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) all make up God. They are three personalities that can and are distinct but they are all part of the Triune Godhead.

(2) Light. Light consist of three basic properties. (1) Illumination (2) Heat (3) Energy. If you have light, you have all three. Each are independent and distinct. but all three are necessary to make one light beam. May be precisely why God is referred to as light. He provides all three and it illustrates somewhat his being.

(3) Man (and woman). Man possess three parts, Body, Soul, and Spirit. Each one is separate and distinct, but it takes all three to make, well YOU. Since we are made after God's own image, it would make sense that God would design us similarly. Our souls and spirits can live in without the body, but without the body, we are incomplete, just as our bodies are incomplete without soul and spirit. Precisely why we will be given a new body on Christ's return.

Hope those simple examples help you..

יברך אותך בשם ה'

Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have been a "believer" for over 50 years, and I still do not fully understand the teaching of the Trinity, but I do not fret over it.
An analogy other than the "egg" that I often think of is water exists in three forms: solid, liquid, and vapor all at the same time and it is still water in all three states.
Recently, our Sunday school teacher gave an analogy that really makes sense to me. He said that he has a role as three different persons: a husband, a father, and a grandfather, and each role serves a different purpose, but he is still the same person.

John

Upvote 0