Why do Christians have trouble with accepting Evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think i know some key ideas. Its because it undermines the creation story and that people will become irreligious?

Well wouldnt that be an issue about the idea of the earth is flat if the bible is literal on that part i mean?

What i mean is that science explains our physicial world. The main point i am making is that Creation Story had two interpretations in medieval ages. Allegory" basically a deeper meaning than it is. Or "Literally" like just like it is written.

So basically allegory seems to be the key point then. Since that can be used. Since God is outside our understanding. Science is a method just to understand the world we live in more or less.

So i dont see the problem with evolution, because it doesnt undermine the scripture in the sense of it not being true?

Although i do believe its a shame that more people who lack understanding go away because of ignorance and just dont bother trying to understand why Christianity is a religion to help your life.

But i am curious to what you think?

I know I'm coming pretty late to this thread, but just wanted to touch on a couple things, that may or may not have been covered.

1) The Bible doesn't teach a flat earth. The hebrew (erets) means land, not planet. "and God called the dry land, earth.." It's distinct from the sea.
Ex. 20:11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
So flat earth arguments from the Bible are simply a misunderstanding of biblical nomenclature. Ends of the earth, for instance, are simply references to where the land ends, and the sea begins. They are references to coastlines. It's 100% literal, and 100% true.

2) The real problem is using science to determine how words are meant, rather than discerning the author's intent. If you simply decide something is figurative because it's in conflict with science, than any miracle in the Bible can be taken figuratively. This includes the Resurrection, which is in conflict with science. In fact there are many "theologians" who dismiss the Resurrection as figurative, such as Bishop Spong. He's simply doing what you're doing. Anything that conflicts with science is understood figuratively.

3) Jesus was a creationist. In fact, he was a young earth creationist. He not only believed that Adam and Eve were created and didn't evolve, he also believed Adam and Eve were created in the "beginning of creation." This doesn't work with modern scientific models which have human beings appearing on the scene very late in world history.

Reactions: KWCrazy
Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
3) Jesus was a creationist. In fact, he was a young earth creationist. He not only believed that Adam and Eve were created and didn't evolve, he also believed Adam and Eve were created in the "beginning of creation." This doesn't work with modern scientific models which have human beings appearing on the scene very late in world history.
This is very true, which is hard for me to understand how followers of Jesus could disagree so vehemently with what Jesus taught.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I'm Christian and I believe in evolution. We all don't fit on that boat.

I think there are a lot of Christians who believe in Evolution. And I think they are true Christians. But think about this. What effect will this have on the next generation? What affect will it have on kids growing up in the Church?

Statistics show that as belief in evolution increases, belief in essential doctrines, like he resurrection, decrease. This was found in a couple of Harris polls done over 10 years. They're noting that the youth are turning away from the Church in huge numbers, and I believe it's because their parents are compromising on the Bible. The parents are telling there kids they don't believe most of the Bible, and then are wondering why their kids don't believe any of it.

So yes, you might be a Christian, but what message are you sending to others when you tell them you don't believe your Bible?

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think there are a lot of Christians who believe in Evolution. And I think they are true Christians. But think about this. What effect will this have on the next generation? What affect will it have on kids growing up in the Church?

Statistics show that as belief in evolution increases, belief in essential doctrines, like he resurrection, decrease. This was found in a couple of Harris polls done over 10 years. They're noting that the youth are turning away from the Church in huge numbers, and I believe it's because their parents are compromising on the Bible. The parents are telling there kids they don't believe most of the Bible, and then are wondering why their kids don't believe any of it.

So yes, you might be a Christian, but what message are you sending to others when you tell them you don't believe your Bible?

Thats because the Pope and others think its good to agree with the world, in order to gain more church members, but in the end they will only lose more. Sure they may still be members, but members of what exactly?

Joel 3:I will also gather all nations,
And bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat;
And I will enter into judgment with them there
On account of My people, My heritage Israel,
Whom they have scattered among the nations;
They have also divided up My land.
3 They have cast lots for My people,
Have given a boy as payment for a harlot,
And sold a girl for wine, that they may drink.

7 “Behold, I will raise them
Out of the place to which you have sold them,
And will return your retaliation upon your own head.
8 I will sell your sons and your daughters
Into the hand of the people of Judah,
And they will sell them to the Sabeans,
To a people far off;
For the Lord has spoken.”

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

jimbohank

Disciple of Yashewah
Aug 27, 2014
✟9,520.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think i know some key ideas. Its because it undermines the creation story and that people will become irreligious?

Well wouldnt that be an issue about the idea of the earth is flat if the bible is literal on that part i mean?

What i mean is that science explains our physicial world. The main point i am making is that Creation Story had two interpretations in medieval ages. Allegory" basically a deeper meaning than it is. Or "Literally" like just like it is written.

So basically allegory seems to be the key point then. Since that can be used. Since God is outside our understanding. Science is a method just to understand the world we live in more or less.

So i dont see the problem with evolution, because it doesnt undermine the scripture in the sense of it not being true?

Although i do believe its a shame that more people who lack understanding go away because of ignorance and just dont bother trying to understand why Christianity is a religion to help your life.

I don't think it is because it undermines creation but undermines the character of God. I believe that a perfect God would use His creation perfectly, allowing His laws to dictate creation on certain levels. This doesn't imply that He isn't a part of every aspect of every part of His creation but that He is a part of every aspect of every part of His creation. Many "Christians" take issue with "time" in the bible. For example, Gap Theory believes that there are two creation events in Genesis and that creation days are literally 24 hour days. Young Earth theory also says that each of the six days of creation were literally 24 hour days yet the seventh day is not a 24 hour day. Very contradictory, especially when you understand God's basic laws, particularly the speed of light and the expansion. Also, there is the fact that scripture says a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like a day. I guess my question to someone who believes in Gap or Young Earth theory would be how do you reconcile literal 24 hour days when a literal 24 hour day wasn't "literally" defined as 24 hours...and then to turn it around and say that the seventh day is thousands of years, the same day we are living in now. These theories were introduced between the 18th and 20th centuries. Were these "theorists" more intelligent than those writing scripture thousands of years ago? Maybe in their arrogant heads they were and of course in our technologically advanced age our societal narcissism dictates our false sense of truth. We celebrate a computer beating a chess champion and then say "see we are gods and there is no God above us!" yet all God had to do was breath one breath into the nostrils of man for him to exist in the first place.

Reactions: theophile
Upvote 0
1) Creation best fits the evidence available; it's the most scientific.
2) Evolution fails on so many accounts, it's ludicrous - music, beauty, sense of purpose, fossil record, mathematical odds, origins of information in the cell, evil & morality, life from non-life, etc... All can be explained by Creation, but not Evolution.
3) Bible prophecy, among other things, prove it to be a book from another dimension - authored by God. This is not just another book written by mankind and the Bible makes it unmistakably clear that God created man in His own image, unlike the animals.

Those are some of the reasons I believe in Creation and reject the fairy tale of Evolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2consider

Sep 2, 2015
✟11,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It doesn't just undermine the creation "story", it undermines the reason for creating us. It undermines God's purpose, and it's inconsistent with what God would do. Therefore, your conclusion that it's simply a matter of allegory is incorrect. If we're just another evolved species, then we're just like any other animal, but it takes vary little observation to see that isn't the case.

First, we were created "special" from all other creation. One example is, we're the only creature that would ask question like, "where did we come from." "Did we evolve or were we created." I'm certain, my dog spends no time at all contemplating the meaning of life. We're the only living that that has free will, the ability to reason, philosophize and can make choices about our futures.

According to evolution, we're among the newest forms of life, but we've evolved much faster than any other animal. Squirrels and Cockroaches are not plotting how to take over the world. Elephants and Donkeys don't form political differences. They have no self awareness to speak of. Why not?

Another reason, creationists are more likely to learn about the evidence for creation and against evolution. Evolutionists rarely look at such evidence. On the rare occasion they do, they ignore it. They go to school, memorize a bunch of ideas and consider themselves informed. No one can call themselves informed if they only look at one side or viewpoint of an issue. Science does not explain the universe, it certainly cannot offer anything tangible to explain how or why we're here. What went bag in the big bang. No one knows. If we don't know, then we can't expect to be able to assign a cause. The idea od something from nothing defies everything we know and observe.

Additionally, since we live in a mostly secular world, Creationists are the nonconformists in society. Say that marriage should be between a man and a woman, or saying abortion is wrong or even suggesting we were created certainly places that person outside the main stream. Nonconformists and people outside the mainstream tend to be that way in many aspects of their lives and it shapes their outlook. They are more likely to not just accept what they are told.

There are other reasons, but this should suffice for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

spinner981

Feb 22, 2016
The United States
✟7,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Evolution NEEDS millions of years, just to work in 'theory'. Millions of years don't fit anywhere in Genesis 1. You basically just have to reject the entire creation account in Genesis in order to accept evolution, including God creating the universe at all for that matter.

The problem is that many 'Christians' will pick and choose parts of Genesis 1 to not believe, just to attempt to force in the 'possibility' of various man-made theories. Nothing in the Bible actually supports evolution. The most people do is reject the parts of the Bible that CONTRADICT it, which is dishonest.

Upvote 0

2consider

Sep 2, 2015
✟11,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's just their bluff.
You can not test speciation over millions of years.
The fossil record doesn't help the idea either.
Well, I'm Christian and I believe in evolution. We all don't fit on that boat.
You're entitled to believe what you want, but why do you believe evolution?

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Evolution NEEDS millions of years, just to work in 'theory'. Millions of years don't fit anywhere in Genesis 1. You basically just have to reject the entire creation account in Genesis in order to accept evolution, including God creating the universe at all for that matter.

And that's exactly what the next generation is doing. They see all these theories and books out trying to harmonize the Bible with man's theories. They see that these "teachers" don't really believe the Bible, and are, in fact, trying to make excuses for it. So they do the logical thing, and take the next logical step in rejecting the Bible altogether.

Those compromising on this issue think they're doing the next generation a service. In reality, they're shipwrecking their faith in the reliability of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think a lot of wise things are been said on this forum on this topic. To me many Christians reject evolution because they haven't thought through the greatest self-revelation we have of God.
Are you suggesting God revealed evolution?
You must be joking.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amen!

The spirit of rebellion reigns supreme in men's hearts...
...let's not forget though, that even in the churches (from within the organisation, not necessarily the flock) evolution is accepted as truth.

Teachers take responsibility for the convictions of their students, you see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...let's not forget though, that even in the churches (from within the organisation, not necessarily the flock) evolution is accepted as truth.

Teachers take responsibility for the convictions of their students, you see.

Maybe in your denomination, but not where I attend.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Past me had issues with accepting evolution but I.....evolved :)

But now I am glad I don't have conflict between my Christian faith and the scientific world.

You can't mix lies from the "scientific" world with God. Anything not of God is of satan. Do you feel comfortable in trying to find agreement with satanic points of view? I certainly hope not. Perhaps you really are ignorant of the Bible and the overwhelming amount of evidence discounting evolution.

Upvote 0

AmericanChristian91

May 24, 2007
California
✟12,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Evolution believers not only refuse to believe the creation, they reject the story of Noah as well. Jesus mentioned Noah by name as well as the flood that carried them all away. Jesus taught that the flood was real. Evolution believers discount His teaching. Evolution, then, is a rejection of the Scriptures as much as it is an acceptance of scientific theory.

Yes because it is a super important part of our faith to believe in a Good God who drowned the whole world, children included because of the sinful world, only to have the new humanity eventually fall to further darkness that leads to genocide and world wars.

It is also important to only treat the story of Noah as being super duper historically accurate and there can NEVER be any other reason why the writer(s) of that story created it. We all know that when it comes to discussing the past, people back then were JUST LIKE a modern historian creating a history book. Huge focus on being as historically correct as possible.

It is also important to ignore all the evidence that shows that Mankind didn't get wiped out to a super small number a few thousand years ago. While it appears from scientific sources that the whole world wasn't covered by water and there are multiple human populations/civilizations that pre-date the Flood.....and seem to have still been "kicking" post-Flood, it is important for our Christian faith to ignore this because history can not contradict the fact that genesis is also a history book.

You made an excellent point KWCrazy about Jesus referencing the story. After all it is impossible for a non-historical story to be referenced by real people to make a point.

To conclude, it is important to hold onto faith that this story of Flooding and Genocide is very historically correct because if it wasn't......well out faith is all in vain, sense we need a Bible to be accurate when it comes to history.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.