What do you all think about this paper/article?

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Biblical flood is reported to have drowned ALL human beings except for those that survived on the Ark. Other than those few there would have been absoutly no one left on the Earth to have even known about about said flood...unless these accounts were about local floods.

Shem lived right up to the time of Jacob, and could have provided eyewitness testimony of the Flood.

All these other civilizations that spoke about a worldwide flood in their writings were just plain wrong.

The names, dates, places, etc don't match.

If you're going to write about the Flood, either give Noah the credit for building the Ark, or take a hike.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,553.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sure! Why not? There are over 200 ancient flood accounts from cultures all over the world. These accounts share many similarities, which suggests that they may all be based on a real event.
Why not? A " may be" from
" 200" stories you've never seen?

Not much v clear proof from many fields of inquiry that show it didnt happen

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟247,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Reality is myopic.

That's why you didn't factor miracles into the equation.
Which miracles? And how would one "factor them in?" Does that mean we can just make things up and say it was the result of a miracle? Or do you need to actually show something was a miracle?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not much clear proof from many fields of inquiry that show it didn't happen.

1. Did it occur to you, Estrid, that there could have been many local floods in the Mesopotamian region before THE BIG ONE hit worldwide, and that academia views THE BIG ONE as just another local one, but told from the perspective of someone who had a vivid imagination?

2. How can "many fields of inquiry" show it didn't happen?

3. May I see one of those shows, please?

4. Are you admitting that "many fields of inquiry" checked into a story in the Bible that they considered fiction? What made science take time out of its busy schedule to even consider something written in the pages of the Bible in the first place if, according to science, it couldn't have happened as documented?

5. Does science, as I suspect, have a hidden agenda to use their methods of inquiry against the Christian faith to weaken it, so that the Antichrist's job can be much easier when he shows up?

6. Why did you use the word "proof", when talking against something the Bible said happened?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Which miracles? And how would one "factor them in?" Does that mean we can just make things up and say it was the result of a miracle? Or do you need to actually show something was a miracle?

Thanks for the QED.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟247,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for the QED.
I have in no way proven your argument. You literally cannot show anything that you believe happened with regard to the biblical flood as being true nor that any miracle took place to cover up whatever it is you think happened. You're just spewing fantasy and then pretending you're right because one cannot refute 'nothing'. You're not.

On the other hand, as Estrid rightfully pointed out, there are multiple fields of scientific study whose findings refute that such a flood could have taken place as depicted in the bible. You can offer nothing in the way of evidence to refute any of that. You just dismiss it out-of-hand, not because it could be wrong or that you have special knowledge, but only because it is inconvenient for your religious beliefs.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟247,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Ibanezer, I have a challenge thread from years ago, showing how God overrode the bottleneck effect after the Flood.

Would you like me to hunt it up for you?
No thanks.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No thanks.

Fair enough.

You asked "which miracles" and "how one would factor them in".

Since you don't want to do the research -- (science is a drag, isn't it?) -- would you like me to just answer your inquiries here?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
On the other hand, as Estrid rightfully pointed out, there are multiple fields of scientific study whose findings refute that such a flood could have taken place as depicted in the bible.

By "depicted," do you mean "as documented," or do you mean with a LOT of the story edited out?

Sure -- it's a no-brainer that Mother Nature cannot orchestrate a world-wide flood.

And science can certainly bear that out.

But science can't filter out God talking to Noah, Noah building the Ark, and so on and so forth.

Science edits all that out, then claims the Flood could not have occurred as documented.

And I call bologna on their attempts.

If you want to stick with your claim that "multiple fields of scientific study has findings that refute that such a flood could have taken place as depicted in the bible," then I challenge -- I double challenge -- you to show me.

But make sure it's the WHOLE STORY, not just half of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As told, the flood story is fiction.

World wide, months long, highest hills, all life except on ark.

Obvious fiction, provably false.
We SO miss the point when we read it all as literal history rather than theological storytelling. Powerful narratives that shape all our lives.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,553.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
We SO miss the point when we read it all as literal history rather than theological storytelling. Powerful narratives that shape all our lives.
The stories / narratives I grew up
with are of course very different ones.

Upvote 0