What do you all think about this paper/article?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Here is an opening summary about and from the paper/article:

This article proposes a revision of the most likely date of Noah’s Flood from ca. 2900 to 5700 BC. A date around 2900 BC cannot be reconciled with the Genesis text as an eyewitness account of a real flood that devastated the Mesopotamian plain, killing all of its known inhabitants except those on the Ark. On the other hand, a devastating flood at 5700 BC could have had this effect, and is much more consistent with geological evidence for the date of severe flooding episodes in the ancient Middle East. In this article, a Neolithic date for the Flood is examined in the light of ancient literary accounts and geological evidence, and the implications for the construction of the Ark and for the origins of Sumerian religion are briefly examined.

God Bless.

Reactions: Kale100

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That it's attempting to ground fictionalized accounts in events that likely actually happened. This is pretty old hat.

I do like that he spends a good bit in consideration of the Gilgamesh flood tale, but one wonders if his dating pushes the "flood" even further back in time, therefore, separating the biblical account even further from the event, and we have the original flood story, why even consider the biblical account? It's obviously borrowed and embellished being so far removed. How can you trust that any detail in the biblical account wasn't just added?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting - Josephus mentions folks making pilgrimage to the Ark and names the tribe who were given task of being it's guardians.

I expect, when the hour is late enough, it will be found and stand as a physical object of judgement.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That it's attempting to ground fictionalized accounts in events that likely actually happened. This is pretty old hat.

I do like that he spends a good bit in consideration of the Gilgamesh flood tale, but one wonders if his dating pushes the "flood" even further back in time, therefore, separating the biblical account even further from the event, and we have the original flood story, why even consider the biblical account? It's obviously borrowed and embellished being so far removed. How can you trust that any detail in the biblical account wasn't just added?
How do you know the Biblical accounts are quote/unquote "fictional accounts" or not, etc? Because you sound pretty biased to me? Because he seems like a very honest researcher to me? Which is probably more than I can say for you probably, etc.

But I am right now currently looking into how certain people determine the exact dates and times of the people and events mentioned in early Genesis and if exact dates can be determined for them or not to see if this can be possibly dated back to the time period he says it can or not Biblically, etc.

But if it can, then I am also going to maybe propose a two races, or maybe even two different species theories, that I have been thinking about lately.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Here is also something I have been working on:

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,581.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
How do you know the Biblical accounts are quote/unquote "fictional accounts" or not, etc? Because you sound pretty biased to me? Because he seems like a very honest researcher to me? Which is probably more than I can say for you probably, etc.

But I am right now currently looking into how certain people determine the exact dates and times of the people and events mentioned in early Genesis and if exact dates can be determined for them or not to see if this can be possibly dated back to the time period he says it can or not Biblically, etc.

But if it can, then I am also going to maybe propose a two races, or maybe even two different species theories, that I have been thinking about lately.

God Bless.
As told, the flood story is fiction.

World wide, months long, highest hills, all life except on ark.

Obvious fiction, provably false.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
As told, the flood story is fiction.

World wide, months long, highest hills, all life except on ark.

Obvious fiction, provably false.
With the right perspective or interpretation, maybe not false.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

God Bless.
Oh, I am biased. Reality biases my opinion. The biblical account of the flood could not have happened the way it's portrayed. Genetic evidence does not support a genetic bottleneck of 8 individuals a few thousand years ago. Physics renders the narrative of flooding the whole earth to the highest peak in 40 days untenable. Biology refutes the 2 of each "kind" on an ark for 2 years tended by 8 people. The ark itself likely would not have been sea worthy based on the description given, etc. etc.

And again, why should we trust the biblical account as being anything other than copied and embellished fiction when it's so far removed from any actual event it might have been based on, even further according to this paper, when we have a more ancient, original flood story that differs dramatically from the biblical version?

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here is an opening summary about and from the paper/article:

This article proposes a revision of the most likely date of Noah’s Flood from ca. 2900 to 5700 BC. A date around 2900 BC cannot be reconciled with the Genesis text as an eyewitness account of a real flood that devastated the Mesopotamian plain, killing all of its known inhabitants except those on the Ark. On the other hand, a devastating flood at 5700 BC could have had this effect, and is much more consistent with geological evidence for the date of severe flooding episodes in the ancient Middle East. In this article, a Neolithic date for the Flood is examined in the light of ancient literary accounts and geological evidence, and the implications for the construction of the Ark and for the origins of Sumerian religion are briefly examined.

God Bless.
I tend to think the flood took place even further in the past. They have dated Gobekli Tepe at around 9500 BC (I understand it's a moving target) and have discovered evidence of petrified sea life, sea shell tools and depictions of sea life at the site.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,581.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
With the right perspective or interpretation, maybe not false.

God Bless.
Of course. Change all the
words, perspective and interpretation,
all fiction becomes fact.

Meanwhile, while perhaps entertaining, and believable to children, the story is FICTION.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,581.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I tend to think the flood took place even further in the past. They have dated Gobekli Tepe at around 9500 BC (I understand it's a moving target) and have discovered evidence of petrified sea life, sea shell tools and depictions of sea life at the site.
A world wide flood?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A world wide flood?
Sure! Why not? There are over 200 ancient flood accounts from cultures all over the world. These accounts share many similarities, which suggests that they may all be based on a real event.

Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Sure! Why not? There are over 200 ancient flood accounts from cultures all over the world. These accounts share many similarities, which suggests that they may all be based on a real event.
The Biblical flood is reported to have drowned ALL human beings except for those that survived on the Ark. Other than those few there would have been absoutly no one left on the Earth to have even known about about said flood...unless these accounts were about local floods.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This article proposes a revision of the most likely date of Noah’s Flood from ca. 2900 to 5700 BC.

One small problem though:

The universe didn't exist in 5700 BC.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Kale100

Jun 12, 2023
New England
✟12,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One small problem though:

The universe didn't exist in 5700 BC.
Assuming you are aware that...
A) Some Christians take early Genesis figuratively, if you weren't previously aware it was explicitly announced in the 2nd sentence.
B) Your one liner is not going to convince anyone of your viewpoint, nor even arouse them to consider it favorably or in good faith (much the opposite).
What does it profit you to post that?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, I am biased. Reality biases my opinion. The biblical account of the flood could not have happened the way it's portrayed. Genetic evidence does not support a genetic bottleneck of 8 individuals a few thousand years ago. Physics renders the narrative of flooding the whole earth to the highest peak in 40 days untenable. Biology refutes the 2 of each "kind" on an ark for 2 years tended by 8 people. The ark itself likely would not have been sea worthy based on the description given, etc. etc.

Says science.

Science can take a hike.

Upvote 0