To the gentlemen: When considering women's clothing, what is your stumbling block?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I see that this (Because of the "vernacular" you used), is being overlooked,
and you do have a great point.
But it's not "energy centers" or "chakras" and since you do know Christian
words to use, and since this is a Christian site, it might help if you just used
those?
You could be speaking of the "lust of the flesh"
Or you could be experiencing spiritual activity

THAT may be the "empathy" thing you refer to, and I think you're right,
that in that case, it's not really WHAT she's wearing so much as a more
subtle seductive draw
?

It's actually magnetism . i could explain it scientifically as well . those parts of the body where the hindus say there are energy points actually are points of intense electromagnetic energy . and for some reason when someone is looking in my direction i tend to just go look and i'm staring them right in the eyes .. or .. if they're passing by somehow i've zoned in on a particular part of the body without even seeing them first or knowing how tall they are . there's just more to it .

Which is why I didn't and wont just ignore such references as being
interchangeable.
I have friends who I am very concerned about mixing this junk.
And I've seen your posts transform over the past year or so, as you've
learned and grown in different ways,... some good things, then some
(IMO) dangerous ideas, etc.
This stuff is NOTHING to play around with.
Don't just assume that every "spirit" is good.

It was forced on me . it's just an area of ministry i get . that's all . the more i understand about it .. the better things go . one has this gift the other has that .

And don't let my questions be a rock of offence to you.
I'm nobody, just a voice, (crying out in the wilderness?) lol
How do I know what you're into or not, hon?
it was a question, meant to cause a discussion.
I'm not your enemy, else I'd be an enemy of God Himself, no?
(I am assuming you're in covenant with the great I AM)

Hope that helps.
If I've offended you, I hope you
forgive me ...
I'm learning to be less offensive
...trying anyhow! :blush:
:crosseo::crossrc::prayer:

nah we're good . the sudden spike in energy in the post probably just startled my child within .

Upvote 0
May 29, 2012
✟7,760.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rev Randy said:
The distiller(my meaning in that post) is the person working the distilling equipment. I'm quite sure they can think and know that there are alcoholics out there.
I can look upon a woman, appreciate her beauty without desiring to partake of her sexually or I can take it to the next step and desire her. The choice is mine.

I am not saying that women who dress purposely to attract the lustful looks of men are not also in err. That would be a separate sin or wrong of of being a temptress. I'm saying it's not an excuse I would argue before the Lord. A cause might be the reason we sin but not an excuse that works.

I apologize,I misunderstood your post. I'm pretty sure we are agreeing with each other. i agree that if I am drunk, I cannot blame the bartender. That is a good example if the woman is dressed moderately and the man has an issue with idolizing and lusting after the woman.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I apologize,I misunderstood your post. I'm pretty sure we are agreeing with each other. i agree that if I am drunk, I cannot blame the bartender. That is a good example if the woman is dressed moderately and the man has an issue with idolizing and lusting after the woman.

No problem . I could see you thought I was speaking of the still itself.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2012
✟7,760.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rev Randy said:
No problem . I could see you thought I was speaking of the still itself.

Indeed that's what was going through my mind. Rather, this is the statement I disagree with:
Rev Randy said:
It's the man's fault if she's naked and he lusts

It would be more accurate, in my eyes, if it read "it's NOT ONLY the man's fault if she's naked and he lusts". Unless of course it was a situation like Bathsheba and David, in which she was going about her own business and David stumbled into this scene and made the choice to lust after her instead of looking away. But if a woman is walking down a public road naked and gets lusted after, it's a sin on her part.

What I AM NOT saying, is that it is her fault that the man lusted. That was his decision. But in failing to dress moderately, she has opened a door of temptation for others, which is where her sin occurs.

I hope I didn't misread that one as well haha

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
This topic always depresses me...

I have not replied to this topic for almost the same reason. If Christ is in the heart there will be no desire to dress inappropriately. We have women at work who dress to draw attention to themselves. They will wear short shorts and cowboy boots.

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God. - Deuteronomy 22:5

But I have seen in Pentecostal Holiness circles people trying to doctrinalize the clothesline. They will try to say that a woman must have a dress on. I have seen this type of stuff drive away many people.

So this topic depresses me too.

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
I have not replied to this topic for almost the same reason. If Christ is in the heart there will be no desire to dress inappropriately. We have women at work who dress to draw attention to themselves. They will wear short shorts and cowboy boots.

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God. - Deuteronomy 22:5

But I have seen in Pentecostal Holiness circles people trying to doctrinalize the clothesline. They will try to say that a woman must have a dress on. I have seen this type of stuff drive away many people.

So this topic depresses me too.
I have a problem with the phrase "if Christ is in your heart there will be no desire to (insert anything applied)". There are times when we do things and we do not recognize it's sinful or that it is a stumbling block to others and that is in no way saying that you don't have Christ in your heart. I am not asking for rules, my goal is to ask the guys what clothing causes them to sin so that I can ease their struggles even if it's just a little bit.

There are many things that drive people away, but clothing is something that we have to deal with because regardless of what we think, we know that there are some enticing clothing out there.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is that?

Because Paul specifically says that women are to adorn themselves with good works, and then the next question is: "So...is this skirt ok?" Or: "What about this top, this isn't sinful, is it?"

:facepalm:

I mean really, how much time did Jesus spend pondering the 'appropriateness' of his wardrobe? Just throw on some culturally acceptable clothing and go feed somebody already.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When in doubt, and I never am on this issue, I could revert to the dress code of my Christian Jr. High school to make sure I am modest enough.

no midriff or see-through tops.
no writing on your clothes.
no cleavage showing (modest necklines only)
skirts at knee length or longer. (get someone to measure it while you bend over, and that person better not be a man!)
wear slips with skirts that could be translucent when backlit
no pants unless it's some sort of dressy pantsuit
no undergarments showing
at the pool, 1-piece swimsuit

There, you are perfectly outfitted to attend Christian school in 1983.

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
Because Paul specifically says that women are to adorn themselves with good works, and then the next question is: "So...is this skirt ok?" Or: "What about this top, this isn't sinful, is it?"

I mean really, how much time did Jesus spend pondering the 'appropriateness' of his wardrobe? Just throw on some culturally acceptable clothing and go feed somebody already.
What is wrong with asking someone if "this is okay"? My best friend ask me that all the time. Some people do struggle with the way they dress and so therefore, they have to ponder "So...is this skirt ok or what about this top?" And I think God would be pleased that we're at least recognizing that our attire is not professing godliness.

As for men's wardrobe, I'm not sure around Jesus' day and age, but I feel like guys have it pretty easy, not many options, compared to females.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2012
✟7,760.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
seeingeyes said:

Well, what she is trying to do here is admirable. She is trying to figure out what kids of clothes she needs to get rid of based on how it makes the gentlemen of the Christian world feel. If anything, it shouldn't make you sad, it should make you happy that she is deciding to be a better Christian by dressing moderately. I like that she's taking the opinions of men because there may have been some article of clothing that was a little provocative without her knowing it, and this way eliminating it from her wardrobe.

I for one was ecstatic when I saw this because it sets a good example for other women, and I think this is a very good quality in a woman. If I find a woman to marry anytime soon, I'm referring her to you, ok daydreamergurl15?

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Put it this way: if I were to ask my husband "So...is this skirt ok?" Or: "What about this top, this isn't sinful, is it?" it wouldn't end in me getting dressed.

Modesty isn't rocket science. Go with clothes that cover you more or cling to your body less if you are in doubt. If you get disapproving or oglig reactions, or someone mentions that you look like a nun, you may have gone too far in either direction.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
We're guys - we make everything sexy in our heads. Trust me, we'll find a way to lust over you wearing jeans with sweatpants over the top, snow boots, a turtle neck under a winter coat, and a facemask. Seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 29, 2012
✟7,760.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Joykins said:
Put it this way: if I were to ask my husband "So...is this skirt ok?" Or: "What about this top, this isn't sinful, is it?" it wouldn't end in me getting dressed.

Modesty isn't rocket science. Go with clothes that cover you more or cling to your body less if you are in doubt. If you get disapproving or oglig reactions, or someone mentions that you look like a nun, you may have gone too far in either direction.

I respectfully but completely disagree

Upvote 0
May 29, 2012
✟7,760.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mike to Michael said:
We're guys - we make everything sexy in our heads. Trust me, we'll find a way to lust over you wearing jeans with sweatpants over the top, snow boots, a turtle neck under a winter coat, and a facemask. Seriously.

Hm? All guys are like this? Wow I'm doing a lot of respectful disagreeing tonight

Upvote 0
May 29, 2012
✟7,760.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Joykins said:
So you think she should wear skimpier, tighter clothing to be more modest?

No that's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that its important to ask opinions and I highly doubt that talking a minute to check oneself Ina mirror will hinder the homeless from being fed

Upvote 0