To the gentlemen: When considering women's clothing, what is your stumbling block?

May 29, 2012
✟7,760.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Joykins said:
That's why there are so many men that always post on these threads to reassure women that it doesn't matter what she wears, they are going to lust after her anyway ^_^

Well, I have my opinions on that but they aren't very nice so I'll keep them to myself haha

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I think that soliciting men's opinion on this issue is a great way to get men to think about women in skimpy clothing, personally. YMMV.

The thought of female anatomy helplessly comes to mind. I thought the same thing.:doh:

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a problem with the phrase "if Christ is in your heart there will be no desire to (insert anything applied)". There are times when we do things and we do not recognize it's sinful or that it is a stumbling block to others and that is in no way saying that you don't have Christ in your heart. I am not asking for rules, my goal is to ask the guys what clothing causes them to sin so that I can ease their struggles even if it's just a little bit.

There are many things that drive people away, but clothing is something that we have to deal with because regardless of what we think, we know that there are some enticing clothing out there.
I could not agree more.
I remember too well an incident back when I was a baptist pastor.
Things were really going well. We had a flood of new converts and it was simply to see that lives were being changed by God. Many were some pretty wicked folks before the Lord touched their heart.
Then right on que I got a call from the deacon board. They wanted a meeting with me. Seems two of them were pretty upset as some of the new converts, along with quite a few who were still on the fence, were not dressing modestly enough. They asked to install a dress code for Church attendance
Now I'm not a fire and brimstone style preacher but they sure got a sermon out of me.
Without a doubt a mature christian woman should know not to expose herself in Church. But the with new Christian woman she needs to learn this and it may be the best she owns.
The Christian man is to employ the self control God instills in him. If the new christian woman is to be taught about modest dressing it is the Mature Christian women who are to teach her. Hopefully by example.
Without a doubt we do not want to cause another to sin. But in a day and time with so many fetishes and perversions being viewed as the norm, it would be nearly impossible to dress to attract the attention of no one.
So fellas, if that gal across the church house is showing too much cleavage and you find yourself entertaining thoughts about her breasts that are sinful, try praying and asking the Lord to help you focus on worshipping Him. He's quite understanding as it was Him who fashioned her breasts in the first place (well in today's world that's not always the case).
A womans beauty was designed to catch the eye of a man. Admiring His handiwork is not a sin. Desiring to defile that handwork is. But in worship we need to focus even if we must close our eyes.

Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
IA womans beauty was designed to catch the eye of a man. Admiring His handiwork is not a sin. Desiring to defile that handwork is.
theres no reason to be ashamed of the body that God hand made for us himself.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This entire topic borders on verge of overly risque. We are on a fine line here!
Really? I would assume you have read the Song of Songs? Sexuality is not a topic God frowns upon.
The OP was about what makes a man stumble concerning the attire of a woman. The answer is simple: Lust. There is a cure for natural lust: love.
If we are having issues with the topic, it really does need to be discussed.
There are times I am glad I'm old. I had issues with this when I was young. It really didn't matter if she was in a bikini or wearing a loose fitting dress buttoned up to the chin. Her eyes were enough to get my blood boiling and my mind racing to places it should not be. No need for her to reveal herself as I has already done that in my mind.
Christ along with a very good wife cured that. Now my mind is content to desire my wife. She is enough.
Lust leaves us wanting more. Love satisfies. St. Paul said it is better to marry than to burn. Even being inspired, St. Paul's truth was something he didn't know the half of. It's not only better, it's wonderful. Christ understands it best. He calls us His Bride. The happily married man can understand that well.
Risque? It shouldn't be. It should however be frank.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Evexchange

Booyyyaaaahhh
Aug 1, 2013
✟7,849.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Women's clothing only makes me stumble if my wife leaves them on the floor in the dark.
Come on guys. Are we really that easily distracted? I have noticed a visitor and new converts dressing inappropriate. But that's often because that's what they own. They usually learn and dress better later.
Perhaps we should practice looking people in the eye and not at their boobs?:doh:
It helps being old and in love.;) My head is not easily turned.

Great post Rev......thank you

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
yeah . i'm recalling that winter when i first could see body outlines from the electromagnetic field that surrounds the body . that was quite a challenge . i'm pretty sure it isn't about clothing in most cases . and if it is .. it's just adding fuel to the fire .

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is wrong with asking someone if "this is okay"? My best friend ask me that all the time. Some people do struggle with the way they dress and so therefore, they have to ponder "So...is this skirt ok or what about this top?" And I think God would be pleased that we're at least recognizing that our attire is not professing godliness.

As for men's wardrobe, I'm not sure around Jesus' day and age, but I feel like guys have it pretty easy, not many options, compared to females.

But whether or not "this is ok" comes from the heart, not the cleavage.

For example, the point of your OP was ostensibly to find out what clothing would keep your brothers from lusting over you and stumbling, yet you have specifically asked those very same brothers to visualize the things that make them lust, which goes directly against your view of what is 'right'.

The opening post is hypocrisy, plain and simple.

Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
Hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3)
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's why there are so many men that always post on these threads to reassure women that it doesn't matter what she wears, they are going to lust after her anyway ^_^

You find that to be humorous?

Such men ought to be plucking out their eyes if they cannot abstain from such sin...if we're to believe Jesus, that is, and, personally, I do.

"And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." - Matthew 5:29

Perhaps it's just me, but I believe that Christian men ought to view "the elder women as mothers" and "the younger as sisters, with all purity" (I Tim. 5:2). I don't know about the rest of you, but I stopped "desiring" my mother's breasts as an infant...the first time that she gave me milk to drink in a bottle. Yeah, I think that one's wife ought to satisfy/meet all of his sexual desires, but, then again, I believe the Bible and that may be too "old fashioned" for some...

"Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love. And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger? For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings. His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins. He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray." - Proverbs 5:18-23

Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But whether or not "this is ok" comes from the heart, not the cleavage.

For example, the point of your OP was ostensibly to find out what clothing would keep your brothers from lusting over you and stumbling, yet you have specifically asked those very same brothers to visualize the things that make them lust, which goes directly against your view of what is 'right'.

The opening post is hypocrisy, plain and simple.

There's nothing the least bit hypocritical in what daydreamergurl15 posted. In fact, from what I've read of your flippant responses here, you could learn a thing or two from her.

ETA:

Apparently and sadly, I had this poster confused with another poster and I therefore misspoke about her. I have offered my sincere apology in a future post and I'll be careful to not misspeak about anybody else again in the future. My bad. :sorry:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is wrong with asking someone if "this is okay"? My best friend ask me that all the time. Some people do struggle with the way they dress and so therefore, they have to ponder "So...is this skirt ok or what about this top?" And I think God would be pleased that we're at least recognizing that our attire is not professing godliness.

As for men's wardrobe, I'm not sure around Jesus' day and age, but I feel like guys have it pretty easy, not many options, compared to females.

There's nothing wrong with asking.

God bless you for your godly consideration of glorifying Him, not selfishly disregarding the weaknesses of others and, I must add, protecting yourself. We live in a godless society where sexual perversions of all sorts are "glorified" and, as a man who was once heavily into inappropriate contentography and all sorts of sexual sins, I can tell you that Satanic lust can drive men to acts of rape, violence (they're similar, anyway) and all sorts of sexually driven crimes against women.

Personally, I believe that those, whether men or women, who feel the need to "flaunt their bodies" do so because of pride and vainglory. Don't let anybody put you down for guarding yourself against the same.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing the least bit hypocritical in what daydreamergurl15 posted. In fact, from what I've read of your flippant responses here, you could learn a thing or two from her.

I have not been flippant in the least.

I am sick to death of seeing my sisters in Christ, children of the living God, wonder of all creation, hog-tied by anxiety for external matters, tiptoe-ing around the sins of men instead of boldly proclaiming the love of Christ.

Reactions: Joykins
Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not been flippant in the least.

Actually, you're correct. I had you confused with another poster whom I had recently responded to and I greatly, humbly and sincerely apologize to you for misspeaking about you. I'll certainly be more cautious and conscientious in the future to make sure that this never happens again. Again, I humbly and sincerely apologize to you and ask you to please forgive me for what I misspoke (mistyped). I'm sorry. Having said that, there was still nothing the least bit "hypocritical" about daydreamergurl15's OP.

I am sick to death of seeing my sisters in Christ, children of the living God, wonder of all creation, hog-tied by anxiety for external matters, tiptoe-ing around the sins of men instead of boldly proclaiming the love of Christ.

How in the world is daydreamergurl15 "hog-tied"? She started this thread of her own volition and, having conversed with her elsewhere on this forum, she doesn't seem to be the least bit "anxious" as you infer. Rather, she seems to be godly and thoughtful and I commend her for the same. Btw, who are you to infer that she doesn't "boldy proclaim the love of Christ"? Perhaps you should offer an apology of your own? Yes, you should. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, by seeking to not be a stumblingblock to others, daydreamergurl15 is "boldly proclaiming the love of Christ" (I Cor. 8:1-13).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, you're correct. I had you confused with another poster whom I had recently responded to and I greatly, humbly and sincerely apologize to you for misspeaking about you. I'll certainly be more cautious and conscientious in the future to make sure that this never happens again. Again, I humbly and sincerely apologize to you and ask you to please forgive me for what I misspoke (mistyped). I'm sorry. Having said that, there was still nothing the least bit "hypocritical" about daydreamergurl15's OP.

Forgiven, brother. :)

How in the world is daydreamergurl15 "hog-tied"? She started this thread of her own volition and, having conversed with her elsewhere on this forum, she doesn't seem to be the least bit "anxious" as you infer. Rather, she seems to be godly and thoughtful and I commend her for the same. Btw, who are you to infer that she doesn't "boldy proclaim the love of Christ"? Perhaps you should offer an apology of your own? Yes, you should.

When is the last time that you, my brother, looked in the mirror and asked yourself whether your pants would cause someone else to sin? I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it has never happened.

Yet I see this with my sisters all the time. Now, the answer is not 'those pants are fine' or 'those pants are out', because that just backs the same question up until tomorrow morning. The real answer is the question: Why are you so concerned about your pants?

How can one boldly proclaim the love of Christ if they can't even boldly get dressed in the morning?

So my answer to the OP is: Wear what everyone else is wearing. Do not seek to stand out for your 'righteous' or 'unrighteous' clothing. Rather, seek to be known for your love.

Upvote 0