NW England
✟1,057,750.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm puzzled, and rather sad, by the 5 people who say that God hates people until they believe in, and accept, him. The NT says that we love because God first loved us, that the cross is how we know what love is and that Christ died for sinners.
Jesus also said that it is not particularly good, or noble, to love only those who love you. He told us to love our enemies - which is, of course, what God does.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does God hate people? What are your thoughts?
"For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe." (1 Timothy 4:10)

So . . . if God is "the Savior of all men", then I would say this means He loves any and all people, plus He is doing some kind of saving good for each and every person.

But this is "especially" good for "those who believe" . . . those who obey how our Father desires to take care of us.

But not all people submit to how God would do them good. So, there is the good of His caring resistance.

"God resists the proud,
. But gives grace to the humble."
. . . . . . . . . (in James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5)

God's resistance to proud people helps to keep them from getting into all the evil they could.

So, God does love any and all people, and this is our example (Ephesians 5:1-2). God wants us to love each and every person, and do the loving good we can for any person, at all.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These are some of whom the Lord hates.

Psalm 5:5 New King James Version (NKJV)

Psalm 11:5 New King James Version (NKJV)

Proverbs 6 New King James Version (NKJV)

Hosea 9:15 New King James Version (NKJV)

Malachi 1:3 New King James Version (NKJV)

That pretty well ends the controversy and answers the OP question, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That pretty well ends the controversy and answers the OP question, doesn't it?

Not if you are one to use human logic to define God.

Not if you are one to use Jesus' coming and new covenant to dismiss the O.T. and law.

Not if you are one to read only parts of scripture that you like.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

I would like quotes of the N.T. for completeness though in a claim to answer the OP.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟339,643.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God hates evil works not people ' Rev 2:6 ' and the verse says to be in Him then we too would hate what He hates.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not if you are one to use human logic to define God.

Not if you are one to use Jesus' coming and new covenant to dismiss the O.T. and law.

Not if you are one to read only parts of scripture that you like.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

I would like quotes of the N.T. for completeness though in a claim to answer the OP.
Amen to that.
Psalm 5:5 New King James Version (NKJV)

5 The boastful shall not stand in Your sight;
You hate all workers of iniquity.
Psalm 11:5 New King James Version (NKJV)

5 The Lord tests the righteous,
But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.
Proverbs 6 New King James Version (NKJV)
16 These six things the Lord hates,
Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
17 A proud look,
A lying tongue,
Hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that are swift in running to evil,
19 A false witness who speaks lies,
And one who sows discord among brethren.Hosea 9:15 New King James Version (NKJV)
15 “All their wickedness is in Gilgal,
For there I hated them.
Because of the evil of their deeds
I will drive them from My house;
I will love them no more.
All their princes are rebellious.
Malachi 1:3 New King James Version (NKJV)
3 But Esau I have hated,
And laid waste his mountains and his heritage
For the jackals of the wilderness.”

interperet that

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by Howard Cneal

If He does, would that be a sin?

Thank you kindly.

God is righteous judge and source of loving mercy. We are not righteous judges. God can punish, condemn, hate as he sees fit. We are not righteous or God, therefore we live by different "rules".

God gave the rule to us; to love our enemies. We do not know what is in the hearts of others like God does. We do not know what future is in store for others like God does. We do not know if others are to be saved like God does. For this reason, in hope to save others, we are to love our enemies.

Don't use humanistic logic to define and limit God. Don't impose the King's command to subjects on the King himself. We are but lowly servants. It is only by the grace of God through the death of his Son that we may be called brothers of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by Howard Cneal

Originally Posted by brinny View Post
If He does, would that be a sin?

Thank you kindly.

God is righteous judge and source of loving mercy. We are not righteous judges. God can punish, condemn, hate as he sees fit. We are not righteous or God, therefore we live by different "rules".

God gave the rule to us; to love our enemies. We do not know what is in the hearts of others like God does. We do not know what future is in store for others like God does. We do not know if others are to be saved like God does. For this reason, in hope to save others, we are to love our enemies.

Don't use humanistic logic to define and limit God. Don't impose the King's command to subjects on the King himself. We are but lowly servants. It is only by the grace of God through the death of his Son that we may be called brothers of Christ.

The question is, if God hates, is it a sin?

Is it?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God hates evil works not people ' Rev 2:6 ' and the verse says to be in Him then we too would hate what He hates.

Just because scripture in places say God hates evil actions it in NO way teaches anything about God hating evil people or fallen angels. God can hate both the crime and the criminal for he is judge. We can only hate the crime, for we are to be judged.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yhvh does as He pleases.

english is sad language to convey truth (maybe just because english speaking people sad?)

like "all" >> recently reported that a remote village was seen by few visitors,
but it could be said "all" visitors saw the village.

so too in scripture, "few" are chosen. even if "all" are loved. "IF" "loved" are not understood by english speaking peoples. well, in all the world few understand, not just english speaking peoples have trouble. it is written

"unless the Creator reveals it to a man, that man cannot receive it."

so kind of like a conundrum. people(mankind) are dumb. Yhvh is smart.
people are passing away. Yhvh is forever.
people are sinning. Yhvh is saving "few".

Yhvh could save all. all who are saved are saved!

the ARK, remember? EVERYONE! ALL who entered the ARK were SAVED.
ALL OF THEM WERE SAVED.

same today.
the ARK is Yahushua.(Jesus). ALL who enter Yahushua are SAVED.
ALL OF THEM ARE SAVED.

but , it is written, (read Revelation), almost ALL of them of the WORLD do not enter Yahushua. do not enter (figuratively) the ARK.

and NO ONE WAS SAVED who did not enter the ARK.
so also NO ONE IS SAVED who does not enter Yahushua.
but
ALL OF THEM ARE SAVED who do enter (the ARK) Yahushua.

"For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe." (1 Timothy 4:10)

So . . . if God is "the Savior of all men", then I would say this means He loves any and all people, plus He is doing some kind of saving good for each and every person....

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God hates the sin but loves the sinner.

Show me the scripture to support your claim. Certainly to the called, God still loves us even though we sin. Those that only He knows to be condemned to hell, he can hate. How could he love one condemned to eternal punishment?

Do you think God loves Satan? God provides no chance for redemption to him and his angels. Love is mercy and God extends none to Satan and his followers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟339,643.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just because scripture in places say God hates evil actions it in NO way teaches anything about God hating evil people or fallen angels. God can hate both the crime and the criminal for he is judge. We can only hate the crime, for we are to be judged.
How do you reconcile that with your earlier post that God says to love your enemies yet He says to hate what He hates? The enemy is the principalities. It sounds like we are saying the same thing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God hates the sin but loves the sinner.

How do you reconcile that with your earlier post that God says to love your enemies yet He says to hate what He hates? The enemy is the principalities. It sounds like we are saying the same thing?

I will quote the text that you referenced because it does not say what you say. Rev 2:6 But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. This text speaks only about one thing that God hates, not all things that he hates. It gives no command to hate everything that he hates and makes no attempt to expound on all that God hates. The one thing called out in the text is that both the church and God hate the practices of the Nicolaitans.

This goes with the thinking that we people should hate the sin not the sinner. I largely agree with this as a rule for us Christians. I do not think this rule applies to God as I have posted.

I don't think I am saying the same thing as you are and there is no contradiction that needs reconciling between loving your enemies, a who, and hating evil practices, a what.

The contradiction is you thinking that "rules" that God abides to are the same as man's.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Paradox.
He loved what He hated enough to save, to have mercy on a remnant.
so like Him, we c a n be forgiving and show mercy toward those we're just SURE deserve our hate. (Tounge in cheek smiley here).

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟339,643.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So God doesn't hate the fallen angels?

I will quote the text that you referenced because it does not say what you say. Rev 2:6 But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. This text speaks only about one thing that God hates, not all things that he hates. It gives no command to hate everything that he hates and makes no attempt to expound on all that God hates. The one thing called out in the text is that both the church and God hate the practices of the Nicolaitans.

This goes with the thinking that we people should hate the sin not the sinner. I largely agree with this as a rule for us Christians. I do not think this rule applies to God as I have posted.

I don't think I am saying the same thing as you are and there is no contradiction that needs reconciling between loving your enemies, a who, and hating evil practices, a what.

The contradiction is you thinking that "rules" that God abides to are the same as man's.
Well I certainly don't think that. The bible says to abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good, those who love God hate evil.

Paradox.
He loved what He hated enough to save, to have mercy on a remnant.
so like Him, we c a n be forgiving and show mercy toward those we're just SURE deserve our hate. (Tounge in cheek smiley here).
:rolling eyes smiley here: ;)

Upvote 0