1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Less Advertisements! Members see fewer ads and have the option to upgrade their account to ad free!

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A flat earth, and Noah's Ark.

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Kenneth Redden, Jan 1, 2017.

1. GodB4S

GodB4S New Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    I believed Jesus talked in parables too but he talk true all the time...there was a woman that lost a coin, I believe there was a son that asked his father for his portion and left to come back wiser...there was a field with a treasure in it and the man bought it...ect. ect. that made up the parables. Jesus explains the parable of the sower, but I believe there was a sower and another farmer that sent workers to put tares in to hinder the competition...Jesus used truths to show us that the laws of nature can show us the laws of the spirit...Jesus told Peter to cast his net on the other side after towing all night for nothing...it showed Peter the power of the Christ and the spirit of God will make you fishers of men...fishers not catchers for God does the catching...Peter was in fear of the truth Jesus showed him! You can fish all night and catch nothing, but catching is done in minutes and worth much more!

2. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Just a Brat

Ratings:
    +643
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Is this true? I know that when I state a "fact" or propose and idea, people here want to see how I arrived at this.
    Do you have anything that is proof of this fact?

3. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Just a Brat

Ratings:
    +643
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    All I'm saying is there are no animals mentioned in history, other than a brontosaurus, that fit this description.

There are human foot prints with dino foot prints too ya know...

But, as usual, they just say that they are fake, or a hoax and then science rings true over the biblical account of history and the facts that are solidified in stones....

4. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Just a Brat

Ratings:
    +643
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Words of man vs Words of God.

I'll choose the Words of God every time.

It says He did it and it is totally within His capabilities.
    Done

5. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Just a Brat

Ratings:
    +643
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    To say that Genesis is a parable follows no pattern of the scriptures.

6. antletems

antletems Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.

Ratings:
    +1,950
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    They are fake, as has been proven!

7. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Just a Brat

Ratings:
    +643
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Can you show me this proof?

8. squirrel123

squirrel123 Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Methodist
    Yes, it is true.

The proof would be to show the inaccuracies in every different type of flat map, and/or to show the accuracy of a model globe (which I can't do on the Internet, for obvious reasons). IF you truly are interested in verifying the shape of the earth, an interesting project would be to find different types of maps and check the distances between various sets of points in both hemispheres for yourself.

9. antletems

Ratings:
    +1,950
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
  10. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Just a Brat

Ratings:
    +643
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
  11. JackRT

JackRT I'm on the left.

Ratings:
    +3,530
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    United Church of Canada
    This was disproven decades ago and even the more responsible creationist organizations warn against using this as an argument.

12. Jason0047

Jason0047 Agent for Christ

Ratings:
    +1,006
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    So if you are not a flat earther, then why did you defend a flat earth view? Have you recently changed your mind? I asked if you believe in a flat ring world or a flat dome type Earth. Your reply from before led me to believe you believe in a flat earth dome atmosphere type view. Just tell me what kind of Earth you believe in. Do you believe the Earth is half of a sphere? Or do you believe the Earth is a full sphere? Just tell it to me straight.

13. Jason0047

Ratings:
    +1,006
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Simple. The Tectonic plates shifted with the fountains of the deep breaking up with all that hot liquid magma and made Mt. Everest to be higher than it is. When the polar ice caps melted mixing with the heated waters it could have been like letting hot air out of a balloon. If you don't believe that, then just believe God found a way for the flood to do so. For God parted the Red Sea. That was obviously a supernatural event. It is not impossible that God had judged the world with a supernatural flood. In other words, put the Science down and just believe what the Bible says. The waters covered the highest mountains according to Scripture. Our first standpoint is a faith thing and not a science thing. Science can support God's Word, but it is not always necessary.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  14. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Just a Brat

Ratings:
    +643
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    So, no, you don't have any way to prove this as a fact.

From what I have looked into, all the globe earth people believe that the flat paper map of the globe is distorted because you cannot draw a map of a round, spherical earth on a flat piece of paper.. Which, I agree, would be impossible without gaps and distortion.

However, if the earth was flat, then the globe model would be distorted.

There is no proof for either belief.

I have a map of my county and all the distances are perfectly fine with no distortion and it is a flat map that I had on my wall.

Is this possible only due to the fact that I'm only looking at a few hundred miles? Would this change if I did this to my province, country?

I could not prove that the earth is flat or a globe by the way we draw maps.

But..

Check this out:

15. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Just a Brat

Ratings:
    +643
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    As I have said before, I believe that the earth is a globe. However there are things with this belief that are in question. I am simply searching for answers.

In the end, it matters little to me. My salvation is not altered by either model...Yet, if the earth was flat... IF, that is... what would happen to evolution, life on other planets, Aliens????

So, I have to ask, if the flat earth is the deception.... what would the purpose of this deception be? Why would Satan introduce a deception that would contradict or kill the evolutionary theory?

Would it not be better to introduce a deception that, in all aspects, makes this theory of spontaneous anti biblical formation of the earth and all life possible?

16. JackRT

JackRT I'm on the left.

Ratings:
    +3,530
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    United Church of Canada
    There may be several grains of truth to the flood mythology of Noah and similar mythologies from elsewhere in the ancient Middle East. About 25 years ago it was discovered (" Noah's Flood" by Ryan and Pitman) that in antiquity the Black Sea was a freshwater lake with a water level at least 155 meters (510 feet) below its present level. It was cut off from the Mediterranean Sea by a silt plug in the Straits of Bosporus. This plug broke through about 5600 BC due primarily to the dramatic rise in sea levels caused by the melting that ended the last ice age.. It created an immense waterfall whose sound was most likely audible for 100 or more miles. The Black Sea basin filled to its present level over a period of several weeks. It is estimated that the shore line advanced at the rate of a mile or more per day. For the people living around the lake it was a catastrophe of immense magnitude. It was likely the single most memorable flood in all of human history. The racial memory of this event probably inspired the Gilgamesh epic which in turn inspired the Noah narrative in the Bible. The evidence for this flood is scientifically solid. This prompted the National Geographic Society to finance an underwater search along the ancient shoreline for evidence of pre-flood human habitation. This search has been successful! A settlement has been found at a depth of 90 meters approximately 12 miles off the coast of Turkey. It is in a remarkable state of preservation because it is located in an area of the Black Sea where the water is completely devoid of oxygen with the effect that biological decomposition does not take place. This means that wooden artifacts such as tools, planks, housing beams etc are preserved intact. What is also quite amazing is that while there is solid scientific evidence for this local flood some 7600 YBP, there is no evidence at all for a worldwide flood just 4300 YBP. One would think that a more recent, more catastrophic event would have wiped out evidence of the earlier Black Sea event. There is also evidence for a similar event causing the flooding of the Gulf of Arabia about 10,000 YBP.

17. Jason0047

Ratings:
    +1,006
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I first believe God's Word. That is the starting point. Putting evidence before the Word is like putting the cart before the horse. Oh, and yes. I believe there is evidence for a global flood. But such evidence is not required. Faith in God's Word comes first. Then one can see. Sort of like when Indiana Jones had took a step of faith in the Last Crusade where he discovered he was walking on an invisible bridge.

18. squirrel123

squirrel123 Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Methodist
    Not able to prove on an Internet forum =/= not able to prove.

Of course you can print a reasonably accurate map of a piece of the earth's surface - the distortion because the globe is so big, maps most countries can be printed on maps with the distortion so small that it becomes immeasurable on the size of the printed map. (I suspect Russia may be an exception)

The fact that you are unwilling to conduct a simple experiment (measuring various maps for yourself) shows me that I was correct in my initial assessment of your intentions - you are not truly curious and looking for the truth, you are trolling. A truly curious person does not confine his searches to Internet forums when presented with other sources.

PS: I have already proven the most common flat-earth map wrong on this thread...

19. antletems

Ratings:
    +1,950
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Lol

20. quartetman1

quartetman1 Newbie

Ratings:
    +3
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Flat earth. Globe earth. A simple proof to find out. At the ocean shore pick a stable subject. Either a boardwalk post, a gas station, whatever, a subject that is small, but a subject that is stationary and doesn't move. Take a helicopter and fly at sea level directly away from the subject towards the ocean, 90 degrees away from the shore. Fly until you no longer see the subject. Stop forward motion. Turn around 180 degrees. Now fly straight up until you see the whole subject, including the bottom of the subject. Stop upward motion. Now fly down to sea level. Flying at sea level, start forward motion. The top of the subject will appear first. As you progress towards the subject you will eventually see the bottom of the subject.
    The proof is the ocean is curved, the earth is not flat, it is a globe.
    Simple proof.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List