Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
In another thread I made, a christian being threatened with death,
one user brought up an interesting question:

Possible questions to address:

So, what about such a person?

Is it even possible for a true christian to commit suicide?

Yes.

Some may say suicide isn't even a sin, others compare suicide to self-murder.

Suicide is murdering oneself which is a very serious sin. However, if a person is severely depressed due to a medical condition he may not be guilty of that sin before God. It is similar to a person who murders his neighbor while hallucinating and thinking he's acting in self-defense.

Is suicide a forgivable sin? Can one be forgiven after death?

No, but not everyone who commits suicide will be guilty of sin.

What does it mean if a person commits suicide, and why would any christian commit suicide?

It could mean he was depressed. Some prescription drugs can cause severe depression and a person who commits suicide as a result of it may not be guilty of sin. A Christian could also commit suicide due to despair in which case he may die guilty of murder.

Do the conditions of suicide matter in God's eyes? Reasons, culture, environmental pressures?

Absolutely. Since God is just, he would take into account a person's knowledge of the sinfulness of his act and the degree of his consent.

What happened to Judas?

I don't know.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Suicide is murdering oneself which is a very serious sin. However, if a person is severely depressed due to a medical condition he may not be guilty of that sin before God. It is similar to a person who murders his neighbor while hallucinating and thinking he's acting in self-defense.
I think I'm beginning to lean towards that view. If a person is having a serious mental episode, it seems like they wouldn't really know what they're doing. They could think they're hearing the voice of God telling them that they can fly, so off the building the person jumps, but falls to death.

It seems strange to me though, and this raises another question. Do we have reasons to think that God would let a person who is saved get into a situation in which he is going to commit suicide due to depression, drugs, hallucinations?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think I'm beginning to lean towards that view. If a person is having a serious mental episode, it seems like they wouldn't really know what they're doing. They could think they're hearing the voice of God telling them that they can fly, so off the building the person jumps, but falls to death.

A person can often be mentally altered by their situation, which can bring despair and hopelessness. An illness that is permanent and has no remedy and years of suffering ahead of them.

It seems strange to me though, and this raises another question. Do we have reasons to think that God would let a person who is saved get into a situation in which he is going to commit suicide due to depression, drugs, hallucinations?

I've been wondering about that myself now that I'm thinking about suicide. God said something along the lines that He wouldn't allow us to be in situations where we also wouldn't have an escape. Couldn't suicide be a form of escape? Kind of like the escape pods on a ship? It's really not that much different. We would be abandoning our body which has been rendered hopeless. If we are saved and believe in Heaven and being with Jesus after death, it seems almost like an act of faith to commit suicide.

Now, before anyone attacks me for this view, I understand that we also have to consider people we leave behind. Some people would have loved ones who would be scarred by it. But in my case, I really don't have any friends, no job, don't attend church, etc. so I really wouldn't be affecting anyone if I were to do it. My Dad who is 76 is my only family. If anything happens to him, then I'm alone. I've even thought of how I could commit and do it secretly. There are ways!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There are men of God throughout the Bible who were so depressed that they wanted to die.

It is quite possible that a Christian can lose their faculties under great duress and stress and in sheer desperation, attempt to, or actually commit suicide.

I believe that this is a God-realm thing.

Our hearts should go out to anyone struggling with suicidal ideation and in such despair and hopelessness that they commit suicide.

And we should be praying for them.

I suspect that most here, reading this, have struggled to one degree or another, with suicidal thoughts.

Just like these men of God throughout the Bible, being so despondent, that they wanted to die.

One of these men come to mind, and that is Job.

I cannot fathom how he endured what he did and not lose it.

We are fragile, ev'ry one of us.

Screen-shot-2013-05-11-at-5.14.54-PM.png

Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A person can often be mentally altered by their situation, which can bring despair and hopelessness. An illness that is permanent and has no remedy and years of suffering ahead of them.

I've been wondering about that myself now that I'm thinking about suicide. God said something along the lines that He wouldn't allow us to be in situations where we also wouldn't have an escape. Couldn't suicide be a form of escape? Kind of like the escape pods on a ship? It's really not that much different. We would be abandoning our body which has been rendered hopeless. If we are saved and believe in Heaven and being with Jesus after death, it seems almost like an act of faith to commit suicide.

Now, before anyone attacks me for this view, I understand that we also have to consider people we leave behind. Some people would have loved ones who would be scarred by it. But in my case, I really don't have any friends, no job, don't attend church, etc. so I really wouldn't be affecting anyone if I were to do it. My Dad who is 76 is my only family. If anything happens to him, then I'm alone. I've even thought of how I could commit and do it secretly. There are ways!

No. Don't do it. You have value and worth more than you know. Do not commit suicide! There is always hope to turn your situation around and live a life full of joy and happiness with the Lord your God and others who are loving in Jesus Christ.

First, seeing you have an interest in the Trek Universe:
There are Star Trek episodes that do in fact teach "pro life."

Check out this article here to see the short clips from each of the episodes.

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/12/16/...k-the-next-generation-upheld-pro-life-values/

Second, suicide is something the devil would want you to do. For the Bible teaches that suicide will lead one to face punishment and not salvation. 1 John 3:15 says

"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him." (1 John 3:15).​

Suicide is a just another way of committing murder, but in this case, you are murdering (taking the life) of yourself and not the life of another person. 1 John 3:15 says that no murderer has eternal life abiding within them; And the only way a believer can be forgiven if they commit a grevious sin like murder, or lying, or adultery, or stealing is by repentance (Which is confessing and forsaking one's sin (See Proverbs 28:13, 1 John 1:9, 1 John 1:7, 1 John 2:3-6, and Matthew 12:41 and then compare with Jonah 3:6-10).

Revelation 21:8 says murderers will have their part in the Lake of Fire. A murderer is anyone who has not repented of their sin of murder to God (and they died in that sin before they got a chance to repent).

For if a person were to commit willful sin after they received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins for them anymore. For it is written...

26 "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"
(Hebrews 10:26-29).

But ...

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).

You cannot confess your sins and be forgiven when you are dead.

Furthermore, the Bible also warns us that we are not to defile our temple (Which would include destroying it yourself) otherwise God will destroy you.

"If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" (1 Corinthians 3:17).

Please do not take this the wrong way, I do care for you my friend and I cannot imagine the pain you are going thru but please do not take your own life. Ask God to help you and your situation and wait on the Lord (however long that takes) then God will come thru for you. Don't give up having faith in Jesus Christ and what He has done for you. Jesus loves you and wants to walk in love with you in this life and to touch other people's lives. Jesus wants to do great things in your life. You can't do that if you are not here upon this Earth, my friend.

Pray and read the Bible and ask God to talk to you.

Anyways, you can always PM me if you like, too.
May God's love shine upon you in a great way today.
Please be well.

With loving kindness to you in Christ,

Sincerely,

Jason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No. Don't do it. You have value and worth more than you know. Do not commit suicide! There is always hope to turn your situation around and live a life full of joy and happiness with the Lord your God and others who are loving in Jesus Christ.

First, seeing you have an interest in the Trek Universe:
There are Star Trek episodes that do in fact teach "pro life."

Check out this article here to see the short clips from each of the episodes.

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/12/16/...k-the-next-generation-upheld-pro-life-values/

Second, suicide is something the devil would want you to do. For the Bible teaches that suicide will lead one to face punishment and not salvation. 1 John 3:15 says

"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him." (1 John 3:15).​

Suicide is a just another way of committing murder, but in this case, you are murdering (taking the life) of yourself and not the life of another person. 1 John 3:15 says that no murderer has eternal life abiding within them; And the only way a believer can be forgiven if they commit a grevious sin like murder, or lying, or adultery, or stealing is by repentance (Which is confessing and forsaking one's sin (See Proverbs 28:13, 1 John 1:9, 1 John 1:7, 1 John 2:3-6, and Matthew 12:41 and then compare with Jonah 3:6-10).

Revelation 21:8 says murderers will have their part in the Lake of Fire. A murderer is anyone who has not repented of their sin of murder to God (and they died in that sin before they got a chance to repent).

For if a person were to commit willful sin after they received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins for them anymore. For it is written...

26 "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"
(Hebrews 10:26-29).

But ...

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).

You cannot confess your sins and be forgiven when you are dead.

Furthermore, the Bible also warns us that we are not to defile our temple (Which would include destroying it yourself) otherwise God will destroy you.

"If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" (1 Corinthians 3:17).

Please do not take this the wrong way, I do care for you my friend and I cannot imagine the pain you are going thru but please do not take your own life. Ask God to help you and your situation and wait on the Lord (however long that takes) then God will come thru for you. Don't give up having faith in Jesus Christ and what He has done for you. Jesus loves you and wants to walk in love with you in this life and to touch other people's lives. Jesus wants to do great things in your life. You can't do that if you are not here upon this Earth, my friend.

Pray and read the Bible and ask God to talk to you.

Anyways, you can always PM me if you like, too.
May God's love shine upon you in a great way today.
Please be well.

With loving kindness to you in Christ,

Sincerely,

Jason.

Jason:
First of all, thank you for your kind words.
If I were going to do it, it wouldn't be right now anyway. But my situation is more of a medical and mental one (I guess you could say both of those together) and there's not really any cure for it and it's hard to fathom living the next 40 years enduring it. That's the reason it has me thinking about it now.

Second, I've heard suicide being compared to murder before. Murder is supposed to be an act of hate toward your fellow man. Then again, I've heard of suicide being said to be the ultimate act of self-love (no joke!). They said that we love ourselves so much that we kill ourselves to relieve our pain no matter what it costs others left behind. The reasoning is that we are to love our neighbor as ourselves--meaning that we already love ourselves. Jesus even said that nobody ever hated his own flesh, which is why it's assumed that we are to love others as we love ourselves.

But personally, I don't see it as self-murder. If I wanted to die, it's not an act of hatred toward myself, just as shooting an injured deer on the side of the road after it was hit by a car is not murder, or an act of hatred, or cruelty to animals.

As for the forgiveness of a sin after the fact, I believe Jesus saved me from my sin--both past, present, and future. I don't believe a sin is unforgiven if death comes before a person can ask forgiveness after committed.

But at this time, I'm not really planning on doing anything right now. Just thinking about it and looking at it objectively. I like to look at all options in different situations. Sometimes we just get backed into a corner with few options.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

What does it mean if a person commits suicide, and why would any christian commit suicide?

Do the conditions of suicide matter in God's eyes? Reasons, culture, environmental pressures?

What happened to Judas?

Do we have reasons to think that God would let a person who is saved get into a situation in which he is going to commit suicide due to depression, drugs, hallucinations?

Some users have expressed the feeling that we may be unjustly damning people, but we're not judging anyone in particular, this is purely theoretical.
there are 2 important things to remember here:
1. is that we still have free will in self-inflicted suicide.
2. that means we have a choice between life and death.

even Judas had a choice. and even after his betrayel of Christ, he could have chosen to go to Jesus on the cross and confessed his sin. we have the example of the repentant thief who hung next to Jesus and took the opportunity to confess.
in return he was promised by Christ that he (the thief) would be with Jesus in paradise that very day.
That very same option was also open to Judas, but instead he chose to go with the old covenant and he tried to return the money to the priests.

in other words he followed one bad choice (to betray Christ) with another bad choice,(to beg forgiveness from the priests who could not give it) and then finally he knowingly and with full responsibility made a third bad choice to hang himself, thus committing a sin against his own body and rejecting the sanctity of his own God-given life.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

the actual question should be: did God let a person who is saved exercize their free will and get themselves into a situation where they might committ suicide?
the answer is yes, He would allow that situation.
but He would also not leave them alone and with no other recourse.
and that's an important distinction to make.
knowing that outcome was a possibility in their life, God would have put
people in that person's life who could speak to them and offer alternate
solutions and helps along the way.

What that person does with the helps that are offered
is their choice.
God will not force us against our will to choose His gift of life.
While He gave us that gift in the beginning, what we decide to
do with our life is our gift back to Him.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jason:
If I were going to do it, it wouldn't be right now anyway. But my situation is more of a medical and mental one (I guess you could say both of those together) and there's not really any cure for it and it's hard to fathom living the next 40 years enduring it. That's the reason it has me thinking about it now.

Second, I've heard suicide being compared to murder before. Murder is supposed to be an act of hate toward your fellow man. Then again, I've heard of suicide being said to be the ultimate act of self-love (no joke!). They said that we love ourselves so much that we kill ourselves to relieve our pain no matter what it costs others left behind. The reasoning is that we are to love our neighbor as ourselves--meaning that we already love ourselves. Jesus even said that nobody ever hated his own flesh, which is why it's assumed that we are to love others as we love ourselves.

But personally, I don't see it as self-murder. If I wanted to die, it's not an act of hatred toward myself, just as shooting an injured deer on the side of the road after it was hit by a car is not murder, or an act of hatred, or cruelty to animals.

As for the forgiveness of a sin after the fact, I believe Jesus saved me from my sin--both past, present, and future. I don't believe a sin is unforgiven if death comes before a person can ask forgiveness after committed.

But at this time, I'm not really planning on doing anything right now. Just thinking about it and looking at it objectively. I like to look at all options in different situations. Sometimes we just get backed into a corner with few options.

The deer is an animal that God made for man to subdue. Man is created in God's image. Man is accountable to God by what he does because God designed man to understand right from wrong. The animals do not have that capacity to grasp morality like man does. Nor will animals face a Judgment like man. So the example you made does not apply because man and animals are not the same to God.

As for present and future sins being forgiven for a believer: While you might have heard a preacher quote a passage or two out of context to you or read an article about this, nothing could be further from the truth if you were to actually pick up your Bible and read it with no preconceived beliefs being pushed upon you in what the text plainly says. Jesus said repent or perish. In Matthew 12:41, Jesus said the Ninevites will rise up in Judgement against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah 3:6-10, we learn that the king of the Ninevites had told the people to cry out to God and to turn from their wicked ways. God then seen that the people turned from their iniquities and God then chose not to bring wrath or Judgment upon them anymore.

Jesus says if you look upon a woman in lust, your whole body can be cast into hellfire (Matthew 5:28-30). Jesus says if you do not forgive, you will not be forgiven (Matthew 6:15). Jesus says we can even be condemned by our own words (Matthew 12:36-37). So I don't see how you think suicide is not a grevious sin that does lead unto the Second Death. Perhaps you rationalized it over and over in your mind as being okay. But what if you are wrong? Why take such a huge gamble with your own soul?

For just read Matthew 13:41-42. It states that Jesus will send forth his angels and gather out from HIS KINGDOM (anyone who professes Christ) who do sin or iniquity and throw them into the furnace of fire (i.e. the Lake of Fire).

So while I sympathize with your situation, do not plan (even at some point in the future) of taking your life. It will not end well for you. For we reap what we sow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I would be concerned about anybody that sees suicide as an "escape pod". In fact I would venture to say such a person is living with a satanic delusion. God has a calling for everyone, even the most seemingly wretched person. To refuse that calling is a grave matter. There are many people who live difficult lives who, by the grace of God, find a reason to live and even to be happy. We as Christians should live a purpose-driven life because we have a promise-driven life, and those promises are not dependent on our physical or mental abilities.

Jesus sacrifice is not a license to do whatever we please. A person who just does whatever they please is living faithlessly and shows they have rejected the Gospel.

Get help from a doctor or therapist/counsellor if you are seriously entertaining suicide as an option. Don't wait, do it now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Jason:

wanting to die is not an act of hatred against oneself, it is however a rejection of the power of God.

not one single person on this earth knows with absolute certainty what will happen in their life tomorrow.
Nor do they know what God has in the works for them. it is this last thing that is the most important.

eg. at one time in the US people came down with polio; a debilitating life long disease that struck at random.
at that time there was no known cure. many of us when we were children knew of someone personally who had suffered from this disease.
today we have shots available so that no one has to be afraid of catching such a disease again.
but back then that wasn't an option.
today we still have diseases that are debilitating and some have no cure---yet.
What the disease of polio has proven is that it's too early in the game for anyone to say that there is no cure or no hope,
but only that the cure is not yet known.
and if it is not yet known, then there exists the possibility that one day it might be known.
or that a cure is in the works right now.

for ALL of life's problems there are answers; they just have to be discovered.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why would you take you own life if you love it? The Lord says we are to love our neighbors as ourselves (Matthew 22:39). So if you kill yourself because you think it is an act of love, then surely you can kill others out of an act of love, too. However, the Lord said, "You shall not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:" (Matthew 5:21). This means we are not to murder or kill ourselves, too, because we are to love our neighbors as ourselves.

"For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church." (Ephesians 5:29).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ladyghosthunter

Sep 26, 2016
Nebraska
✟15,343.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Let me just say this. There are times when I want to end it all because of what I've been through. I've been through childhood trauma, a shooting rampage that killed two of my best friends, two failed marriages and the loss of my family because they're dysfunctional and toxic. I literally have no one except God and Jesus. There are times I feel like ending it all because I'm tired of fighting against the negativity that I've been through. I'm tired, Jesus, I tell Him all the time. However, I keep on going no matter what because it's not my decision to make if I am to stay or go. Despite the pitfalls and Hell I've been through, I think of all the saints and many who have suffered much more than me. I'm thinking you're suffering from possibly PTSD or some other type of depressive state that needs more healing than we can give you. A Bible verse can be great and true-however, you need to look outside of the Bible for true help. God doesn't want you to suffer like this.

Upvote 0

DeepWater

Just The Truth
Aug 6, 2011
Israel (usually)
✟16,539.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Sin" has already been forgiven.
So, all talk about...."can this sin or can that sin be forgiven" is void of understanding regarding SALVATION and the BLOOD ATONEMENT.
In fact, if all your sins are not forgiven, you are going to hell., as THAT is the principle of the Cross and of Grace.
Its that "sin" has been removed and pardoned.
So, there is no more "sin" regarding the eternal status of a born again person.

Regarding Suicide.
The people it hurts the most are the people closest to it.
Family, then friends.

Another issue, a BIG issue with Suicide, is that, ....what if it fails?
What if you try to kill yourself, and you FAIL?
What are the consequences of a FAILED Suicide attempt?
See, there is no sure thing, no certain death.....as it can FAIL, and THEN WHAT?
What if you are left a veggie?
What if you are left a veggie who is totally aware you are one, and cant tell anyone for 30 more years?
THEN WHAT !!!!

So, dont do it.
It might fail, and if it doesn't, you have crushed the hearts and damaged the lives of so many, and this pain will never leave them.
They will suffer from your death........so, dont do that to them.
Have a heart.
Show some compassion...

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
For those of us who claim that there is no way that we would ever ponder suicide, let alone actually do it, rest we be assured that none of us know what evils and ills can befall us in life. None of us are immune. Anything can happen to any of us and it seems that given the right set of circumstances, most of us are capable of almost anything, including suicide and even murder, or so they say anyway. I agree with those who say that God will judge suicide based upon the circumstances of each individual. Most of us know someone who has died from suicide. It is a very serious matter. I do not pretend to ever say otherwise. However, it is still up to God to judge, not us.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

What happened to Judas?

Do we have reasons to think that God would let a person who is saved get into a situation in which he is going to commit suicide due to depression, drugs, hallucinations?

Some users have expressed the feeling that we may be unjustly damning people, but we're not judging anyone in particular, this is purely theoretical.

I don't see any condemnation or prohibition of it in Scripture anywhere. When suicide is referred to in the Bible such as with Saul or Judas Iscariot, there's no comment on the event itself. It seems to be taken as just a matter of fact. As for the "self-murder" argument, I don't find it tenable. There's just no definition of "murder" that I can find that would allow it to include killing oneself. It's not the taking of a life illegally, because suicide is not a criminal offence. It's not the taking of a life without consent, because a person gives him or herself consent for life to be ended.

With that being said, I can't advocate for it. If the reason for it is that life has gotten difficult, that's understandable. However, life has no opportunity to ever get better if it has ended. The situation may look hopeless, but it always has the possibility at least of improving as long as it continues to be lived out. It's not wise to extinguish even that possibility.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

We know what they did, only God knows why for sure.

One of my professors had a brother who's children were raped and murdered. Unfortunately the man committed suicide, I can't believe I have any right to judge.

Technically it's self murder but even in human law there are some conditions known as mitigating circumstances. David was forgiven of murder, the child of this adulterous affair even succeeded him as king. That may not be a fair comparison but I think God takes everything into consideration, things we may know nothing about, even about ourselves.

I don't think it's a one way ticket to perdition if that's what you mean. You may well find yourself saved as by fire where only you survive final judgment and everything else is burned up.

In a word, depression. At one time the single biggest cause of death among teens in the United States was suicide, it can be a troubling time. In the UK, I've heard it said, the number one cause of death for men between 20 and 40 is suicide. If I have had one suicide awareness training session when I was in the Army I must have had a dozen. We used to be told to ask are you thinking about hurting yourself or others? Now they tell you to ask the question, are you thinking about suicide? They are in an altered state, most of the time they will snap out of it over time but in that state of mind it's all too easy. We are told to look for dilation, withdraw and giving cherished items away. All crucial warning signs. Suicidal people are in an altered state. If you put you hand on a hot plate, the limbic system will automatically pull it back without you getting a chance to decide. They could leave their hand there, depression is that dangerous.

I think the Scriptures are silent on that particular question but I would say motive.

What happened to Judas?

Jesus said it would be better he was never born and that one of you is a devil. Perdition is a permanent condition, the fact that he committed suicide just goes to show you what the Devil will do with you once he is finished with you.

Temptations will come, we know that. I firmly believe God never leaves us in a hopeless state but gives us a chance to escape it.

It's important to talk about this things but telling people it's a sin is a cope out, even if your absolutely right. It's an important topic of discussion but what we should be asking as well is how can we avoid this kind of depression and this terrible state in ourselves and others.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0