A christian commits suicide?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No we're discussing suicide by a Christian.
Bye!

If you believe in a "Plan to Sin Again and still Be Saved" type doctrine because Jesus paid for all your future sin, then sins such as suicide or inappropriate contentography or murder cannot separate you from God. But that is clearly not what the Bible teaches, though. The Scriptures clearly teach that sin has always been separation from God. For Adam and Eve bought into the lie that they would not die (spiritually) if they sinned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible mentions six specific people who committed suicide: Abimelech (Judges 9:54), Saul (1 Samuel 31:4), Saul’s armor-bearer (1 Samuel 31:4–6), Ahithophel (2 Samuel 17:23), Zimri (1 Kings 16:18), and Judas (Matthew 27:5). Five of these men were noted for their wickedness (the exception is Saul’s armor-bearer—nothing is said of his character). Some consider Samson’s death an instance of suicide, because he knew his actions would lead to his death (Judges 16:26–31), but Samson’s goal was to kill Philistines, not himself.

The Bible views suicide as equal to murder, which is what it is—self-murder. God is the only one who is to decide when and how a person should die. We should say with the psalmist, “My times are in your hands” (Psalm 31:15).

God is the giver of life. He gives, and He takes away (Job 1:21). Suicide, the taking of one’s own life, is ungodly because it rejects God’s gift of life. No man or woman should presume to take God’s authority upon themselves to end his or her own life.

Some people in Scripture felt deep despair in life. Solomon, in his pursuit of pleasure, reached the point where he “hated life” (Ecclesiastes 2:17). Elijah was fearful and depressed and yearned for death (1 Kings 19:4). Jonah was so angry at God that he wished to die (Jonah 4:8). Even the apostle Paul and his missionary companions at one point “were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself” (2 Corinthians 1:8).

However, none of these men committed suicide. Solomon learned to “fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind” (Ecclesiastes 12:13). Elijah was comforted by an angel, allowed to rest, and given a new commission. Jonah received admonition and rebuke from God. Paul learned that, although the pressure he faced was beyond his ability to endure, the Lord can bear all things: “This happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead” (2 Corinthians 1:9).

So, according to the Bible, suicide is a sin. It is not the “greatest” sin—it is no worse than other evils, in terms of how God sees it, and it does not determine a person's eternal destiny. However, suicide definitely has a deep and lasting impact on those left behind. The painful scars left by a suicide do not heal easily. May God grant His grace to each one who is facing trials today (Psalm 67:1). And may each of us take hope in the promise, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I really liked how you started off, but I am concerned by your last paragraph, my friend. You said suicide does not determine a person's eternal destiny. This is simply not true. If God saves wicked believers then why not just save wicked unbelievers? What really separates the believer from the unbeliever? A belief alone? Sorry, I am not impressed with people who have a belief alone and yet their actions show forth something different. Jesus even said to the Pharisees that they were hypocrites. In Romans we (Gentiles) are told to continue in his goodness otherwise we can be cut off just like the Jews.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really liked how you started off, but I am concerned by your last paragraph, my friend. You said suicide does not determine a person's eternal destiny. This is simply not true. If God saves wicked believers then why not just save wicked unbelievers? What really separates the believer from the unbeliever? A belief alone? Sorry, I am not impressed with people have a belief and yet their actions show forth something different. Jesus even said to the Pharisees that they were hypocrites. In Romans we (Gentiels) are told to continue in his goodness otherwise we can be cut off just like the Jews.

It is a sad fact that some Christians have committed suicide. Adding to the tragedy is the false teaching that committing suicide automatically consigns one to hell. Many believe that a Christian who commits suicide will not be saved. This teaching is not supported in the Bible.

Scripture teaches that, from the moment we truly believe in Christ, we are guaranteed eternal life (John 3:16). According to the Bible, Christians can know beyond any doubt that they possess eternal life (1 John 5:13). Nothing can separate a Christian from God’s love (Romans 8:38–39). No “created thing” can separate a Christian from God’s love, and even a Christian who commits suicide is a “created thing”; therefore, not even suicide can separate a Christian from God’s love. Jesus died for all of our sins, and if a true Christian, in a time of spiritual attack and weakness, commits suicide, his sin is still covered by the blood of Christ.

According to the Bible, suicide is not what determines whether a person gains entrance into heaven. If an unsaved person commits suicide, he has done nothing but “expedite” his journey to hell. However, that person who committed suicide will ultimately be in hell for rejecting salvation through Christ, not because he committed suicide (see John 3:18). We should also point out, however, that no one truly knows what was happening in a person’s heart the moment he or she died. Some people have “deathbed conversions” and accept Christ in the moments before death. It is possible that a suicide could have a last-second change of heart and cry out for God’s mercy. We leave such judgments to God (1 Samuel 16:7).

The suicide of a believer is evidence that anyone can struggle with despair and that our enemy, Satan, is “a murderer from the beginning” (John 8:44). Suicide is still a serious sin against God. According to the Bible, suicide is murder; it is always wrong. Christians are called to live their lives for God, and the decision of when to die is God’s and God’s alone.

May God grant grace and the psalmist’s perspective to each one who is facing trials today: “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God” (Psalm 43:5).

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't find where it says / implies that.

It does not say that directly. However before I can answer the question we must ask "what's the difference between murdering and killing".

The Old Testament records God killing multitudes of people, and some people want to believe this makes Him a murderer. The misconception that “killing” and “murder” are synonymous is partially based on the King James mistranslation of the sixth commandment, which reads, “Thou shalt not kill” (Exodus 20:13). However, the word kill is a translation of the Hebrew word ratsach, which nearly always refers to intentional killing without cause. The correct rendering of this word is “murder,”. So I would define murder as taking life outside of your authority and without cause to do so. Because God gave specific regulations on killing in situations of capital punishment or war, these killings are not murder because they are within the authority God has given us.

So how does this apply to suicide and why is it murder? It is because the bible makes it clear that our lives are not our own. (1 Corinthians 6:19) (Jeremiah 10:23). Since our live are not our own but rather that of God, a suicide is still taking a life outside your authority...murdering yourself.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I honestly cannot recall how long I thought about it. It was a long time ago. But I do not believe it would have mattered if I thought about it a long time versus thinking about it for a short amount of time. For do you think Judas thought about suicide before he betrayed Jesus? I don't think so. He committed suicide as a result of his guilt in betraying the Lord.

See, the problem with your beliefs on this matter is that you are not really looking at all the verses in Scripture on suicide. You are primarily basing your beliefs on how you feel and that is not a good indication that you are making a Biblical decision here, my friend. At least that is the impression I get because you are focusing a lot on the feelings that one can experience from suicide rather than looking at things Biblically. The Bible says the heart is deceitful above all things (Jeremiah 17:9). In other words, what you may think is right (based on your emotions) may not always be the best indicator that you are making the right decision logically for your well being. The fruit is suicide is bad and never good. You should realize it is something that is not of God but of the devil; And anything that is of the devil's kingdom should never lead you to Heaven.

I believe you are missing the point. Judas committed suicide because he believed he failed to such a point that he couldn't face living life for one moment longer. How is that "selfish"? What did he expect to gain? He probably thought he was doing the world a favor by eliminating himself...and it was a punishment for his sin.

Christians are human and humans that get to the point of seriously considering suicide are not in an emotional place where they are making healthy choices. God doesn't quit loving anyone just because they feel grief, guilt, or suffer from despair. Again, I think that the Christian church is the one who has failed these people that they don't feel that there exists unconditional love or assume that the church will provide a place of unconditional acceptance in their lowest places of existence. Suicide is not a sin of an individual. It is a failing of the church to provide a place that the community sees as a place to wrapped in God's unconditional love. Even sadder when a Christian doesn't feel like it is a safe house. I don't think most churches are safe places, really.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Folks can rationalize sin as being okay with God all they like; However, such exuses or explanations are not going to work with the Lord God Almighty. For God is Holy, just, and righteous. There is no repentance after death and God is not capable of agreeing with a person's sin that leads unto spiritual death.

I mean if folks want to rationalize sin, then leave God out of it. For it is written,

"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot: I would that you were cold or hot." (Revelation 3:15).

In other words, someone who is cold has no knowledge of the gospel yet and they can accept such a gospel correctly by repenting of their sins (See Matthew 12:41, Jonah 3:6-10, 1 John 1:9, 1 John 1:7, Proverbs 28:13). However, someone who is Luke warm is going to think it is okay to serve both God and their sin. But Jesus says you cannot serve two masters. For you will hate the one and love the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No. Please be careful as to what Jesus said in verse 48. He said he that rejects Him and His words, those very words that Jesus spoke will judge them on the last day.

No, verses 47 and 48 doesn't have the same meaning.

Let me ask you a question: Do you keep all of Christ's Words, 24/7, if possible, every second of your life?

Because if you miss and should you suddenly die in that moment, you go to hell.......

Is that the meaning you want me to agree with? Does God works that way?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
God is the only one who is to decide when and how a person should die. We should say with the psalmist, “My times are in your hands” (Psalm 31:15).

Are you saying that suiciders could overrule God's omniscience in their deaths?

I don't think so. If one's fate is suicide then that's how it's gonna be and God knows it all along.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So how does this apply to suicide and why is it murder? It is because the bible makes it clear that our lives are not our own. (1 Corinthians 6:19) (Jeremiah 10:23). Since our live are not our own but rather that of God, a suicide is still taking a life outside your authority...murdering yourself.
Alright, i agree.
BUT, let's not pretend there is no difference between taking your own life and taking someone else's life.
That would be stupid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gabriel Anton

Exitus Acta Probat Acta Non Verba Deus Vult 11:18
May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Folks can rationalize sin as being okay with God all they like; However, such exuses or explanations are not going to work with the Lord God Almighty. For God is Holy, just, and righteous. There is no repentance after death and God is not capable of agreeing with a person's sin that leads unto spiritual death.

I mean if folks want to rationalize sin, then leave God out of it. For it is written,

"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot: I would that you were cold or hot." (Revelation 3:15).

In other words, someone who is cold has no knowledge of the gospel yet and they can accept such a gospel correctly by repenting of their sins (See Matthew 12:41, Jonah 3:6-10, 1 John 1:9, 1 John 1:7, Proverbs 28:13). However, someone who is Luke warm is going to think it is okay to serve both God and their sin. But Jesus says you cannot serve two masters. For you will hate the one and love the other.

I like reading your posts. It's very Insightful.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I don't think so. If one's fate is suicide then that's how it's gonna be and God knows it all along.
Well, based on your logic, that can be applied to all murder. If I murdered a man, is it not a sin because God saw it coming?

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Very good point.
And in this case it's a Christian = saved.
And there's only one unpardonable sin, and suicide is not it.

Really though, folks, stop putting suicide on the same level as murdering someone else.
It's just silly.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, verses 47 and 48 doesn't have the same meaning.

Let's look at them again and also look at verse 49, too.

47 "And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak."

Verse 47 says "if any man hears my words and believes not, I judge them not" is in reference to Him saving the world as a part of His mission of going to the cross. This is what verse 47 essentially says at the end. It says Jesus came not to Judge the world but to save the world. See, Jesus needed to die on the cross and rise three days later and ascend to the Father. This was a part of Jesus' mission to save the world. That is why He said He came not to Judge. The Incarnation of Jesus and His Earthly ministry was not His Second Coming which will obviously bring Judgment.

Verse 48 says those who do not RECEIVE Christ's words, the very words of Jesus (Which come down from the Father) will judge them on the last day. For Jesus says in the very next verse,

Verse 49, "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak." (John 12:49).

This is why Jesus does not judge them because He is only following the words which the Father has commanded Him to say. This is why verse 47 says Jesus judges them not because it is the Father that gave Him the words in what He was supposed to say and speak.

timewerx said:
Let me ask you a question: Do you keep all of Christ's Words, 24/7, if possible, every second of your life?

Not all sins lead unto spiritual death (i.e. the Lake of Fire, which is called the Second Death - See Revelation 21:8).

1 John 5:16-18 says there are sins that do not lead unto death and sins that lead unto death. One example of a sin that does not lead unto death (in the Bible) is 1 Peter 3:21 that says that baptism does not save us from the filth of the flesh (i.e. sin - see 2 Corinthians 7:1 as a cross reference on similar word usage for filth of the flesh). Meaning baptism is not a salvation issue. Yet there are other sins that are salvation issues. Jesus Himself said if you look upon a woman in lust, your whole body can be cast into hell fire (Which would be the Lake of Fire, a.k.a. the Second Death) (See Matthew 5:28-30).

timewerx said:
Because if you miss and should you suddenly die in that moment, you go to hell.......

Jesus says, "narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." (Matthew 7:14).

timewerx said:
Is that the meaning you want me to agree with? Does God works that way?

Ananias and Sapphira were condemned to hell for lying to the Holy Spirit and a great fear fell upon the church and all who heard about it. If Ananias and Sapphira went to Heaven, then everyone should have rejoiced or at least be comforted in the fact that they went to Heaven. But the exact opposite emotion was expressed instead. Fear (See Acts 5:1-11). Fear is not usually felt by believers when another believer goes to Heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>Remember, we are all on the same team.

I take this topic a little personally. Here is why. A couple of years ago, there was a man who was very troubled. His girfliend just miscarried his little girl, he was in and out of jail, and he was due in court the next day. While driving in a sedan with his friend and his little brother, he overdosed on anti-depressants. He then told everyone in the car, "I'm not going to jail. I am going to see my baby girl and you all are going with me." He floored the gas and ran through an intersection and hit my wife's car. My 4 month old son was the only survivor. My wife was murdered by a man on a suicide mission. I want to believe that had he been sober, he would have never thought about doing what he did. To this day I pray that God would judge him based on the nature of his heart and not the chemicals that was going through his brain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is a sad fact that some Christians have committed suicide. Adding to the tragedy is the false teaching that committing suicide automatically consigns one to hell. Many believe that a Christian who commits suicide will not be saved. This teaching is not supported in the Bible.

Scripture teaches that, from the moment we truly believe in Christ, we are guaranteed eternal life (John 3:16). According to the Bible, Christians can know beyond any doubt that they possess eternal life (1 John 5:13). Nothing can separate a Christian from God’s love (Romans 8:38–39). No “created thing” can separate a Christian from God’s love, and even a Christian who commits suicide is a “created thing”; therefore, not even suicide can separate a Christian from God’s love. Jesus died for all of our sins, and if a true Christian, in a time of spiritual attack and weakness, commits suicide, his sin is still covered by the blood of Christ.

According to the Bible, suicide is not what determines whether a person gains entrance into heaven. If an unsaved person commits suicide, he has done nothing but “expedite” his journey to hell. However, that person who committed suicide will ultimately be in hell for rejecting salvation through Christ, not because he committed suicide (see John 3:18). We should also point out, however, that no one truly knows what was happening in a person’s heart the moment he or she died. Some people have “deathbed conversions” and accept Christ in the moments before death. It is possible that a suicide could have a last-second change of heart and cry out for God’s mercy. We leave such judgments to God (1 Samuel 16:7).

The suicide of a believer is evidence that anyone can struggle with despair and that our enemy, Satan, is “a murderer from the beginning” (John 8:44). Suicide is still a serious sin against God. According to the Bible, suicide is murder; it is always wrong. Christians are called to live their lives for God, and the decision of when to die is God’s and God’s alone.

May God grant grace and the psalmist’s perspective to each one who is facing trials today: “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God” (Psalm 43:5).

I would like to respond to each of these verses properly, my friend.

Thank you for your reply.
And may the Lord's love shine upon you this fine day.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The question arises.
Is it the case that OSAS is true?

This is relevant when it comes to the question in this thread.
Since we can't reach a conclusion on the bigger question of OSAS, as that's a whole other matter what we can do is postulate one view or another, and makes logical conclusions based on each view.

1. So if we postulate OSAS, and a christian is saved and commits suicide, he goes to heaven
  2. If OSAS is not true, and a person has been a christian, yet later commits suicide we can say that it makes sense that he did not die as a saved person.
I have no intention of debating or discussing further the position described in "1.", as OSAS seems set in stone, and no amount of sin can remove salvation in that paradigm.

As for 2, there is something to discuss. If suicide is a sin, can it cause a person to lose salvation? Is it a form of denying Christ through actions? etc.

Any further discourse on the matter should be clarified with information pertaining to either view above. We should also avoid discourse that assumes we're on the same page concerning OSAS, when we really are not.

Upvote 0