Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really don't believe in horoscopes or anything like them... but just for fun I'll read them once in awhile. I have noticed, in my own personal relationships with guys, that Aries dating an Aries is usually a really bad thing (me being an Aries and I've dated 2 or 3 Aries)... just like how most horoscopes put it.

Nothing can out right say yes or no to a good relationship... it truly depends on how two people come together and how well they connect in many different aspects.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CJ said:
I swear, Christianity is the most paranoid of every religion on the planet.

CJ

I wouldnt say Christianity is paranoid... I'd say that some Christian believers are paranoid based on how they interpret the Bible or believe they should live. But I guess maybe that's the difference between having a religion and having a faith. (Not to get off topic :o )

Upvote 0

sjdennis

May 15, 2006
✟15,947.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TerraSin said:
Eatting and drinking is also embraced by those religions, should we avoid that as well? ;)

As far as your HP comment, that is pure opinion. I, and a lot of other Christians, have no problem with Potter.

I swear, Christianity is the most paranoid of every religion on the planet.

CJ
I know many Christians have no problem with Harry Potter. However, the truth is not decided by the majority.

Harry Potter normalises witchcraft and wizardry. It makes kids want to do magic. It portrays the magical people (witches and wizards) as much greater and more important than the normal people ("muggles"). It is a "soft" start for a kid to start getting interested in this sort of thing, and may then lead into them being curious about participating in seances etc.

I know that many people will disagree with me, Christians are very divided on this issue. However I do speak from some personal experience and observation in this area, and am quite convinced of what I believe. Harry Potter is very well written - the stories are very gripping and interesting for kids. But having a gripping storyline and being "just a story" does not necessarily make something ok. Children imitate what they read. They want to find out more. Witchcraft is not something to joke about - it is a real thing. And it is very interesting - it is a way of getting power, and who isn't interested in that? If a child wants to find out more about what Harry Potter does, it is very easy for them to find out about witchcraft and get drawn into it, just do one net search, and once you are involved in that sort of thing it can be very difficult to get out. There is power in witchcraft, and when people see that it can actually work they get very interested. However it is not wholesome power, and draws people away from Jesus and firmly into the clutches of Satan, who doesn't let go very readily.

One of the saddest things I see in the world today is Christian parents who don't consider the implications of what their children are feeding their minds with. They let them read all about witchcraft, play around with witchcraft-based games, and then naively believe that somehow none of it will rub off on their children at all and the only things their children will remember about the supernatural is what their Sunday-school teacher tells them.

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Angeldove97 said:
I wouldnt say Christianity is paranoid... I'd say that some Christian believers are paranoid based on how they interpret the Bible or believe they should live. But I guess maybe that's the difference between having a religion and having a faith. (Not to get off topic :o )
I believe Christians are VERY paranoid. All you have to do is look at some of the posts in this forum. People who have no self-control and basically shelter themselves in the event that something MAY happen. Christians generally hate taking any sort of risk or putting themselves in a situation where they might have to show some amount of self-control.

CJ

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
sjdennis said:
I know many Christians have no problem with Harry Potter. However, the truth is not decided by the majority.

Harry Potter normalises witchcraft and wizardry. It makes kids want to do magic. It portrays the magical people (witches and wizards) as much greater and more important than the normal people ("muggles"). It is a "soft" start for a kid to start getting interested in this sort of thing, and may then lead into them being curious about participating in seances etc.

I know that many people will disagree with me, Christians are very divided on this issue. However I do speak from some personal experience and observation in this area, and am quite convinced of what I believe. Harry Potter is very well written - the stories are very gripping and interesting for kids. But having a gripping storyline and being "just a story" does not necessarily make something ok. Children imitate what they read. They want to find out more. Witchcraft is not something to joke about - it is a real thing. And it is very interesting - it is a way of getting power, and who isn't interested in that? If a child wants to find out more about what Harry Potter does, it is very easy for them to find out about witchcraft and get drawn into it, just do one net search, and once you are involved in that sort of thing it can be very difficult to get out. There is power in witchcraft, and when people see that it can actually work they get very interested. However it is not wholesome power, and draws people away from Jesus and firmly into the clutches of Satan, who doesn't let go very readily.

One of the saddest things I see in the world today is Christian parents who don't consider the implications of what their children are feeding their minds with. They let them read all about witchcraft, play around with witchcraft-based games, and then naively believe that somehow none of it will rub off on their children at all and the only things their children will remember about the supernatural is what their Sunday-school teacher tells them.
It's called FANTASY, mate. AKA not real. There are no witches who fly on brooms, nor shoot fireballs from their hands. And quite honestly, most (American) people involved in "witchcraft" have this silly, unrealistic idea about it. They think it's all this dark gothic rooms and casting spells on people, this and that when they have no idea what Wiccian truly is. Any child who would find themselves interested in it from a movie would be very sorry to see what Wiccian truly is and would become disinterested in it when they see it's not the magical fantasy world they saw on tv.

CJ

Upvote 0

sjdennis

May 15, 2006
✟15,947.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TerraSin said:
It's called FANTASY, mate. AKA not real. There are no witches who fly on brooms, nor shoot fireballs from their hands. And quite honestly, most (American) people involved in "witchcraft" have this silly, unrealistic idea about it. They think it's all this dark gothic rooms and casting spells on people, this and that when they have no idea what Wiccian truly is. Any child who would find themselves interested in it from a movie would be very sorry to see what Wiccian truly is and would become disinterested in it when they see it's not the magical fantasy world they saw on tv.

CJ
There are certainly two sides to this debate, and you have some very good points. It is fantasy. However please acknowledge that my side of the argument exists as well, and has some strong points that must be considered. Even fantasy influences how you view the world, especially when you are a child. There is good fantasy and bad fantasy, and I would be the first to say that fantasy as a genre is great - I love the novels of C S Lewis and J R R Tolkein for example. I do see that the Harry Potter series is very well written and is a gripping story, I just have some major issues with its content.

Not everyone will agree with me, and not everyone will agree with you. However in reading our posts I hope others come to think about their point of view on this issue, and come to a viewpoint they are satisfied is consistent with the Bible.

Upvote 0

princessellie

Jul 20, 2006
Australia
✟8,883.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Liberals
the only signs we should be paying attention to when we are looking for a potentail partner are those from god, just couse i was born in october doesnt mean i will be compadable with Mr. X from march its just stupid, god knows who my man should be and im going to let him tell me

Upvote 0

charligirl

Senior Veteran
Aug 26, 2003
London
✟17,471.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
TerraSin said:
There are no witches who fly on brooms, nor shoot fireballs from their hands.

I think some of the African Christians I have come across would tell a different story... broomsticks perhaps not, but flying? Yes.

In some parts of Africa there are many reports of witch doctors who have moved through the air and created fire supernaturally... wicca is not the only discpline of witchcraft.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

invisiblebabe

He will restore the years the locust hath eaten
Feb 12, 2004
Second star to the right, and straight on 'til mor
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
radhead said:
What do you think about using astrological information in mate selection?

Personally, to me, it doesn't seem any different from "Christian" books that talk about using temperament, birth order, love languages, etc, in the study of courting and mate selection.

temperament theories are based on a whole lot of study and research. same with birth order. social science is quite different from astrology. :)

as far as astrology, the only valid info that i know of is that babies born in winter months are more prone to depression later on in life. not a whole lot to go on.

Upvote 0

sjdennis

May 15, 2006
✟15,947.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
radhead said:
Today one of my coworkers asked me what sign I am. I told her, and she said that she knew it. Then she told me her sign and that we were supposed to be very compatible. That's never happened before today.
That has never happened to me either, or probably most of the other people here. I think it could be more than a coincidence that you are the person that it was mentioned to. You obviously struggle with / wonder about this area, as you started this thread. It is obviously an area that Satan could use as a window to tempt you or draw you away from God. He has seen this opportunity, and is now using it.

Pay no attention to this woman's statement. There have been plenty of reasons posted in this thread to ignore astrological information in mate selection. I would be highly suspicious of any woman who comes on to you using astrological information to say you are compatible. Can she not think of any better reason for you to be compatible? Like, both being Christians, having similar interests, similar senses of humour etc? All she can come up with is what some book says, written by someone who has never met either of you?

Ignore what she has said. If she isn't a Christian you should be already running in the opposite direction. Look for a wife in a Christian setting instead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums