Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we should throw away all such material, christian or not, and just learn to know each other again.
Some ******* writes a book about what worked for them. But you and I are not them. Go find what works for you.
These days we follow any sign except common sense.

Edited to say that I don't even know what I typed that hit the censor.

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mr.Cheese said:
I think we should throw away all such material, christian or not, and just learn to know each other again.
Some ******* writes a book about what worked for them. But you and I are not them. Go find what works for you.
These days we follow any sign except common sense.

Hear, hear!

Upvote 0

sjdennis

May 15, 2006
✟15,947.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem with the zodiac and astrology is that it is all tied in with witchcraft, new age religion and other stuff like that. It is very hard to draw the line between "just a bit of fun" and "satanic". Much better to steer clear of it all.

The difference with love languages is that this is a way of looking at your actual personalities to see how to please each other. It is NOT a way of working out whether you are compatible for marriage, just how to please each other. You do not need similar love languages to get married, it just helps if you understand what each others are.

Birth order & temperament are looking at your actual personality or factors that affect your personality and understanding each other. Again I would NOT use them to decide whether or not to get married. This decision must be based solely on what you believe God is saying to YOU, not what someone wrote in a book.

Understanding each others personality is a very practical way of learning to please each other. This is completely different from using zodiac signs to see if you are compatible - the zodiac is based on stars that are millions of miles away and have nothing to do with you.

Don't find your spouse by following a formula. Find him/her by praying, then trusting and waiting on God to reveal them to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sjdennis

May 15, 2006
✟15,947.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TerraSin said:
Ehh, somehow I knew the other religion stuff would come into play. Common misconceptions.

Astrology is based on mathmatical superstition, not a religion, though the new age religion embraces it.

CJ
Yes, which is why it is better avoided. It is embraced by new age beliefs, witchcraft etc. Who is to say where the line is? Is superstition itself evil? I would say a good argument could be made that it was.

Leviticus 19:26
"Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times."

I think this phrase "observe times" refers to observing the seasons, times of year or month (ie what time of year you were born (zodiac signs), what phase of the moon etc). Here it is mentioned alongside using enchantment, which is clearly wrong. In the new testament the Christians were also told to avoid this, it isn't just part of the old Jewish laws:

Galatians 4:8-11
"Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain."

This is why I say it is safest to avoid using zodiac signs at all. The bible speaks against this sort of thing. I do not know exactly what the "observe days, and months, and times, and years" in Galations is referring to, but it sounds very much like the zodiac signs. It is best to avoid them just in case.

The zodiac is embraced by new age beliefs, witchcraft etc. It can be a door into these practices. Best to not open the door at all, rather than open it and promise yourself you'll never look through it. Maybe you'll just put your head in and have a look, but never go through. Then, is it alright to put my right arm in if I leave my legs outside?... It is easy for someone to be drawn into these practices through a seemingly innocent thing like the zodiac, or for that matter a Harry Potter board game. Don't open the door.

Upvote 0

sjdennis

May 15, 2006
✟15,947.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chaan Stines said:
Couldn't hypnotism also be considered a form of "enchantment"?
Many Christians (myself included) also object to hypnotism, for various reasons. I object to it as I do not think it is safe to allow someone else to control your mind. I do not know much about hypnotism however. Best to steer clear of anything like this, that is debatable and has the potential to be dangerous.

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
sjdennis said:
Yes, which is why it is better avoided. It is embraced by new age beliefs, witchcraft etc. Who is to say where the line is? Is superstition itself evil? I would say a good argument could be made that it was.

*snip*

It is easy for someone to be drawn into these practices through a seemingly innocent thing like the zodiac, or for that matter a Harry Potter board game. Don't open the door.
Eatting and drinking is also embraced by those religions, should we avoid that as well? ;)

As far as your HP comment, that is pure opinion. I, and a lot of other Christians, have no problem with Potter.

I swear, Christianity is the most paranoid of every religion on the planet.

CJ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tim114

Jun 19, 2006
Land of Auz
Visit site
✟15,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
TerraSin said:
Eatting and drinking is also embraced by those religions, should we avoid that as well? ;)

As far as your HP comment, that is pure opinion. I, and a lot of other Christians, have no problem with Potter.

I swear, Christianity is the most paranoid of every religion on the planet.

CJ
yeah, to ture. I've heard so many stories of the exact moment when the Earth is going to self-combust I would scream... after the next couple 100 more :p

Upvote 0