Your stand on homosexuality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norm d'Plume

May 27, 2015
✟11,524.00
I unfortunately have to share a country and a planet with "people of alternative sexual lifestyles" so I know a few.
More than just people. As of 1999, there were documented cases of homosexual behaviour in 500 species of creatures, ranging from intestinal worms to primates. God made them gay, and He made humans gay, unless they're all possessed by Satan, which I don't believe. We're pretty much surrounded.

Whatever the cause (nature vs. nurture, probably both), families are believed to benefit from having gay members, especially in hunter-gatherer societies. Gays don't have families of their own (until recently) and whatever they hunt or gather can be shared with their parents, siblings, nephews, nieces, etc., who would otherwise be left to their own resources to provide for their own spouses and offspring. For better or worse, it promotes survival of the fittest families, leaving gay genes in the lineage.

Why would God create gays and then forbid them to express their natural urges? Is it a test from God for them, or is it a test for us who adhere to the Bible to decide when certain parts of the NT/OT are no longer appropriate for a constantly evolving society (selling daughters, killing disobedient children, keeping slaves, etc.).

Upvote 0

Norm d'Plume

May 27, 2015
✟11,524.00
I came to the personal conclusion that the Bible was inspired by God, but that flawed humans wrote it, their thinking clouded by the period in which they lived. I don't accept it as the inerrant word of God. Selling your kids? Killing disobedient children? Keeping slaves? Killing those who are so desperate they have to work on the Sabbath to feed their children? My God is not in favor of those things, and therefore either the Bible is wrong, or I'm worshipping the wrong God. It's simply my personal point of view, but it defines my relationship with God. I'll take my chances on Judgement Day.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
More than just people. As of 1999, there were documented cases of homosexual behaviour in 500 species of creatures, ranging from intestinal worms to primates. God made them gay, and He made humans gay, unless they're all possessed by Satan, which I don't believe. We're pretty much surrounded.

Whatever the cause (nature vs. nurture, probably both), families are believed to benefit from having gay members, especially in hunter-gatherer societies. Gays don't have families of their own (until recently) and whatever they hunt or gather can be shared with their parents, siblings, nephews, nieces, etc., who would otherwise be left to their own resources to provide for their own spouses and offspring. For better or worse, it promotes survival of the fittest families, leaving gay genes in the lineage.

Why would God create gays and then forbid them to express their natural urges? Is it a test from God for them, or is it a test for us who adhere to the Bible to decide when certain parts of the NT/OT are no longer appropriate for a constantly evolving society (selling daughters, killing disobedient children, keeping slaves, etc.).

There are also animals who eat their young and kill their partners after sex. We live in a fallen world and that includes the animal kingdom, so that argument doesn't fly. Just because monkeys fling their feces doesn't mean we as humans should see it as acceptable behavior.

The urge to act on homosexual thoughts isn't any different from those tempted to cheat, murder, lie or steal. We're all sinners and we are all tempted by different sins---that doesn't mean that we should justify those desires or make excuses in order to make them seem less severe. There are enough verses in both the Old and New Testaments that prove God does not approve of homosexuality.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,979.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Granted, it is against biblical law. However, we do pick and choose which biblical laws we live by. For example, we certainly do not follow the dietary laws or the clothing laws, etc. Same thing with homosexuality.
Not true. The sexual code was to apply to both Jew and Gentile, as evidenced by God judging the Canaanites for violating it. However, God did not judge the Canaanites for not following the dietary laws or clothing laws, or any other Gentile nation. This isn't just Christian teaching, it's also Jewish teaching (and they believe that they are supposed to follow as many laws as possible).

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,979.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is no evidence that God made humans gay. Furthermore, there is also no evidence that having a certain proclivity or passion indicates a moral license to act on it.

"Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food"--and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. - 1 Corinthians 6:13

But he answered, "It is written,"'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" - Matthew 4:4​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Where does the Bible say God punished the Canaanites for being gay? If you are thinking of Sodom, there is no evidence they were punished for being gay at all. Also what does the law applying to gentiles have to do with anything here? Biblical laws are biblical laws. It's totally arbitrary for you to say you feel free break those that appear to you apply only to Jews. Why is that a separate category for you?

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE