Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
absolutely agreed.
back in the 20th Century the civil laws tended to reflect the various religious beliefs of the majority. right was right and wrong was clearly wrong.
and most importantly, they recognized the difference

hwever in the 21st Century everything has flipped. and now the civil laws tend to reflect the beliefs of the anti religious minority,
along with the support of the extreme liberal wing of the political left.
and without that support the laws would not have been changed, because the homosexual community is still in the minority in this country.

As a result, the anti-religious minority is close to becoming the majority rule in this land. And the divide has never been clearer.

So yes, Christians have a right to be concerned about the civil laws of this land.
Most Christians either support or are indifferent to marriage equality and gay rights. Sorry, but the days of yelling over and over in increasing volume "IT'S CLEARLY WRONG" being a compelling argument are over.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would consider the sin of unbelief as a lifestyle to be far more prevalent and just as insidious.
Yes, I agree that homosexuality is not the only thing that is wrong. And we can make a project of criticizing gays . . . so our attention is away . . . from how we ourselves need correction > Hebrews 12:4-11 > 1 John 4:17 > Matthew 5:46.

I think Jesus had the greatest issue with hypocrisy.

And yes I can self-righteously look down on gay people, instead of dealing with how I myself can be wrong.

I think that Christianity has, since the days of Peter Damian, placed far too much emphasis on sexual things rather than on more important things.
I think sexual pleasure can be such a treasure, that ones can make an idol out of it and even build an identity around it.

Ones can make an idol of how they get their sexual pleasure, then criticize gays for getting it another way.

Meanwhile, gays might be making an identity out of how they get their treasure pleasure.

But sexual pleasure is not love, no matter how you get it. And weakness for pleasure can help keep us weak so we suffer pain "later". Only God's love can deeply satisfy us plus keep us strong and safe against cruel and dominating emotional things and feelings. So we need to learn how to relate in God's love, so we are sober and safe . . . but also so we are pleasing to God >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

In God's gentle and quiet love, we are loving Him by being pleasing to Him in the "precious" beauty of this love. Also, this gentle and quiet love's beauty is "incorruptible" > making us so we can not be corrupted by boredom, loneliness, lusts, depression, worry, hurry, unforgiveness, or bitterness and nasty raging anger . . . and arguing >

Among other things, people can maintain themselves in weakness, by arguing, so they don't get into real love which would keep and protect their souls. And so they can not be deeply satisfied by love. And their children, then, can grow up with their bad example, so the children can not be deeply content, and so they run desperate to the things the parents might say are wrong . . . desperate to feel pleasure to make themselves feel good, and not feel that nasty deep-down nonsense of their sin. But the parents' bad example helped to keep the children from getting into real and satisfying love. The children just did not try to use what has not worked for the parents!

So, if you don't like the products, become a good example to help people find better, "and not only feel better."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
make an idol of how they get their sexual pleasure, then criticize gays for getting it another way.

Or just read the Word of God - as we do for anything else like adultery, stealing, honoring parents - to see what God says about the subject.

for example - Today at 7:54 AM #518

Question for Christians - the day may be coming when the "mere quote of the Bible" will not be "tolerated" as the "thought police" step in to show just how "tolerant" a liberal agenda really is - if you are a Christian. Are you ready?

Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think sexual pleasure can be such a treasure, that ones can make an idol out of it and even build an identity around it.
I don't agree with the whole rhetorical notions of "making an idol" of things. Sexuality is important in terms of how people identify and understand themselves, it's not an idol because of it. I think what's ironic is just how much heterosexuality is used in advertising, skinny naked women are used to sell just about anything and no one bats an eye; when homosexuals talk about equality under the law everyone loses their minds.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
When people talk about promoting/defending LGBT - the last thing many of them want to hear -- is what God has to say on the subject. Imagine if prostitutes had a "political lobby" like that. They would insist that "every other issue in the world be solved first" for anyone talked about the problem of prostitution.

Reactions: topcare
Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When people talk about promoting/defending LGBT - the last thing many of them want to hear -- is what God has to say on the subject. Imagine if prostitutes had a "political lobby" like that. They would insist that "every other issue in the world be solved first" for anyone talked about the problem of prostitution.
I don't think the bible addresses LGBT things. I think it's very much a stretch to read "homosexuality" into the bible and I don't think it's altogether important to do so.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the bible addresses LGBT things. I think it's very much a stretch to read "homosexuality" into the bible and I don't think it's altogether important to do so.
There is no doubt that homosexual behaviour is condemned in the Bible.
Many liberal Christians do not regard the Bible as a guidebook for living today but most conservative Christians do.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
So said 4 of the supreme court justices - including Chief Justice - Roberts. They were appalled and rightly so - this is a new twist in levels of defiance against the American constitution - to wage war against Christians "as if we would not notice". So then pray to God that our leaders will turn back to the truth of God's Word.

it is indeed a new level. but without that slippage the difference between what is right and what is wrong would not be so clearly seen.
and it is the difference between what is right and hat is wrong that must be made clear before the end comes.
In that way no one has any excuse for choosing wrong when they could have done what is right.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

and you have a right to believe that if you will.
But the question remains will that belief lead to heaven or to hell?
and are people ready to stake their eternal lives on the outcome?

Reactions: topcare
Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Many liberal Christians do not regard the Bible as a guidebook for living today but most conservative Christians do.
Well, there's no doubt that most translators of the bible seem to think it condemns homosexuality but, as an example, if one really interrogates the meaning of "arsenokoitai" and "malakoi" one finds very little of it directly means "homosexuality" in any meaningful sense. There really actually is a doubt that homosexual behaviour is outright condemned by the bible.

and you have a right to believe that if you will.
But the question remains will that belief lead to heaven or to hell?
and are people ready to stake their eternal lives on the outcome?
That's not the immediate question that comes to mind when I think about whether or not the bible condemns homosexuality... It's just another banal question with a fairly straightforward answer as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

That's not the immediate question that comes to mind when I think about whether or not the bible condemns homosexuality... It's just another banal question with a fairly straightforward answer as far as I'm concerned.

really? the consideration of what will either get you into heaven or else keep you out of heaven is a banal question?
or did i misunderstand your answer....

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, there's no doubt that most translators of the bible seem to think it condemns homosexuality but, as an example, if one really interrogates the meaning of "arsenokoitai" and "malakoi" one finds very little of it directly means "homosexuality" in any meaningful sense. There really actually is a doubt that homosexual behaviour is outright condemned by the bible.

It doesn't have to be "condemned", it just has to be contrary, and contrary, it is.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most Christians either support or are indifferent to marriage equality and gay rights. Sorry, but the days of yelling over and over in increasing volume "IT'S CLEARLY WRONG" being a compelling argument are over.
If you or anyone considers it okay to act or condone things that are contrary to God...then you are not God's.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, there's no doubt that most translators of the bible seem to think it condemns homosexuality but, as an example, if one really interrogates the meaning of "arsenokoitai" and "malakoi" one finds very little of it directly means "homosexuality" in any meaningful sense. There really actually is a doubt that homosexual behaviour is outright condemned by the bible. .

Ok so all of these Hebrew and Greek scholars -- are only known by LGBT advocate/activists - not by the actual Bible translators??

How did that happen??

Seems like a convenient finding.

How is it that we never see outstanding attention to Bible detail by that interest group when they participate on these threads, if in fact they are the only guys that know Greek and Hebrew?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I think that is a better angle than arguing that only LGBT advocates/activists know Greek and Hebrew to any accurate degree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have obviously read the pro-gay interpretations of the words you reference. I have read commentaries that directly link those words to homosexual behaviour. This is consistent with teaching throughout the Bible and represents the consensus view among Bible translators that homosexuality is unequivocally condemned in the Bible.

http://www.equip.org/article/is-arsenokoitai-really-that-mysterious/ discusses some of the pro-gay interpretations of "arsenokoitai" and "malakoi" and refutes them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, there's no doubt that most translators of the bible seem to think it condemns homosexuality

Why do you think that is?

Is it because you think not one of them could read Greek?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Some people say that the Bible doesn't speak about homosexuality, which is an absurd statement, but even if you were to remove the direct prohibitions and condemnation of it from the texts, you are still left with a mountain of Biblical evidence on the positive side. All evidence from Genesis onward demonstrates that marriage, sex, and romantic love are exclusively for man and wife. The Bible is replete with instruction, examples, and images that leave no doubt as to God's design.

The pro-homosexual argument is indefensible from both the clear prohibition and condemnation of it and the endless examples, of man and woman (husband and wife) as God's design.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As the title suggests. Tell me what is your stance on homosexuality.

I believe that:

- Homosexuality is unnatural, but not a choice. It's a problem of the soul (either caused by satan or original sin or both)

- Homosexuals should not be discriminated...

-...but same-gender marriage and adoption of children for gay couples should not be allowed.

- You can be "cured" of homosexuality if it's God's will.

- I've had a bisexual and a gay friend. They only differ by their sexuality, unlike Fundamentalists claim: "THEY ARE ALL PEDOPHILES!!! THEY RAPE OUR CHILDREN!!!!!".

By the grace of God, I believe that homosexuality is sin, as God has defined it. We are born into sin and man has a natural propensity to sin. God created all mankind to be heterosexual, not homosexual. Heterosexuality is the natural design of man. Man chooses to rebel against God by going against that which He designed. Some people falsely want to argue the question "When did you choose to be heterosexual?" No one chooses to be heterosexual, because that is the default design.
-------
"Homosexuals should not be discriminated"

Depends on what you mean by "discriminated" (or "discrimination"). Far too often people misuse and abuse this term. People "discriminate" every day. You "discriminate" which clothes to wear this morning. You "discriminate" to stop at a red light on the drive into work. You "discriminate" which characters to type as you formed your question. Why is "discrimination" automatically evil? It is not.

However, what you appear to be implying is that homosexuals should not be abused or insulted. I agree with that thought. But I do identify someone who identifies with their sin (whether they are homosexual, liars, thieves, murderers, idolaters, blasphemers, etc) and promotes that them remaining in sin is a righteous thing to do, then I will identify them as lost and enemies of God and try, by the grace of God, to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with them. That forgiveness can be found only in Christ Jesus. In 1 Corinthians 6:11, Paul shows us that one does not have to remain dead in their sin:

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

If someone continues to make a lifelong, habitual practice of sin (homosexuality or any other sin), they are not walking in the truth of God and are in rebellion to Him, and they do not have eternal life.

--------
"but same-gender marriage and adoption of children for gay couples should not be allowed."

There is no such thing as homosexual marriage. God defines marriage. And He has defined marriage to be the covenant union of one man and one woman. Any other form is not marriage, despite what sinful man claims.

A nation has no ability to legislate morality for a people who are in rebellion to God. Laws only work for those who seek to be obedient to God.
-----
"You can be "cured" of homosexuality if it's God's will."

Sin is not a disease. Sin is the product of a dead person's soul. And only God can rescue a person from the deadness of their sin.

-------
"I've had a bisexual and a gay friend. They only differ by their sexuality, unlike Fundamentalists claim: "THEY ARE ALL PEDOPHILES!!! THEY RAPE OUR CHILDREN!!!!!""

False characterization of "Fundamentalists". However, it can clearly be demonstrated that many pedophiles are homosexual as well. Not all of them, but there are some.

And if you have had a "bisexual and a gay friend" have you told them of the forgiveness that they can find only in Jesus Christ? Just because they are nice people or because you are friends with them does not make them righteous before God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.