Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Jews have always believed that their deceased bones needed to be gathered and put in a special place in order for them to be physically resurrected on the last day. Today they do not gather each one's bones. but bury their dead in wooden caskets.

Christians have been pressed very hard to believe that their physical body is necessary for a future resurrection. We have the best water-proof containers (caskets) in the history of mankind. If that is not enough, we pump the body full of embalming fluid.

Where past Christian teachers went off track to cause these insane practices of today, is not studying two Koine Greek words and what group was being addressed with which word.

When Jesus and later, Peter and Paul preached to the Jews concerning a future resurrection, they used the Koine Greek word ANISTEMI which meant to physically become upright, or, stand up. When later, Paul went to preach to the Gentiles, he used the Koine Greek word EGEIRO which meant to arouse from the sleep of death, to awaken. An example of this word is found in 1Sam. chapter 28 where King Saul had the witch of En-Dor conjure up the dead prophet Samuel. Since Saul could not see Samuel, the terrified witch certainly did and Saul asked her to describe him. Samuel asked Saul why he disturbed (awakened) him in raising him up from his sleep. The Apostle Paul deviated from this word usage in Athens Greece. When with every other Gentile audience he used the word EGEIRO, here on Mars Hill in Athens Greece he used the word ANISTEMI (Acts 17:31) The reception was somewhat disappointing: (Acts 17:32).

Many Christians wondered throughout their lives what would happen at the resurrection if their bodies happened to be totally destroyed before then through explosion, etc.,etc. Why God would have to re-create their body! There is nothing in scripture that indicates this. So they were left to wander.

Jesus was ANISTEMI for the Jews. After that, there was no need to prove that every believer was going to need their body in order to be well taken care of after their body expired. They (their spirit/soul) would go directly to Paradise (Heaven).

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Most likely neither Jesus or Peter used Greek at all when they made those comments. Christians have apparently believed this notion of needing at least some remnant or portion of the person's body for ressurection purposes since the beginning-which is why the catacombs are filled with bones.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The Jews have always believed that their deceased bones needed to be gathered and put in a special place in order for them to be physically resurrected on the last day. Today they do not gather each one's bones. but bury their dead in wooden caskets.

Christians have been pressed very hard to believe that their physical body is necessary for a future resurrection. We have the best water-proof containers (caskets) in the history of mankind. If that is not enough, we pump the body full of embalming fluid.

Where past Christian teachers went off track to cause these insane practices of today, is not studying two Koine Greek words and what group was being addressed with which word.

When Jesus and later, Peter and Paul preached to the Jews concerning a future resurrection, they used the Koine Greek word ANISTEMI which meant to physically become upright, or, stand up. When later, Paul went to preach to the Gentiles, he used the Koine Greek word EGEIRO which meant to arouse from the sleep of death, to awaken. An example of this word is found in 1Sam. chapter 28 where King Saul had the witch of En-Dor conjure up the dead prophet Samuel. Since Saul could not see Samuel, the terrified witch certainly did and Saul asked her to describe him. Samuel asked Saul why he disturbed (awakened) him in raising him up from his sleep. The Apostle Paul deviated from this word usage in Athens Greece. When with every other Gentile audience he used the word EGEIRO, here on Mars Hill in Athens Greece he used the word ANISTEMI (Acts 17:31) The reception was somewhat disappointing: (Acts 17:32).

Many Christians wondered throughout their lives what would happen at the resurrection if their bodies happened to be totally destroyed before then through explosion, etc.,etc. Why God would have to re-create their body! There is nothing in scripture that indicates this. So they were left to wander.

Jesus was ANISTEMI for the Jews. After that, there was no need to prove that every believer was going to need their body in order to be well taken care of after their body expired. They (their spirit/soul) would go directly to Paradise (Heaven).

So, if a person is cremated, God will raise them up from the ashes, yes?

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Jews surely thought that the Christians were crazy to think that when they died that they immediately went to Paradise (Heaven). The body of Jesus was resurrected to show that what the Jews were waiting for....had already arrived. They had to have wondered; If the Messiah's body had been resurrected, why had none of theirs. Their leaders had to conclude that Jesus was not the Messiah then.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not sure what your point is...Jesus body was raised, Lazarus body was raised, Jesus did inidcate that lazarus went to paradise (his soul) but that is not the same as the resurrection in which we our bodies are raised to life. 4 days later, Jesus raised him.
Lazaraus came out of the grave, and discarded his graveclothes. This could not have happened had his body been destroyed or cremated.

Heavens gates are not opened yet...that will happen at the final judgement. On the last day, when everyone is resurrected together and Jesus gathers all believers to Himself.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Not sure what your point is...Jesus body was raised, Lazarus body was raised, Jesus did inidcate that lazarus went to paradise (his soul) but that is not the same as the resurrection in which we our bodies are raised to life. 4 days later, Jesus raised him.
Lazaraus came out of the grave, and discarded his graveclothes. This could not have happened had his body been destroyed or cremated.

Heavens gates are not opened yet...that will happen at the final judgement. On the last day, when everyone is resurrected together and Jesus gathers all believers to Himself.

I read a story, long ago...I remember, because it gave me nightmares. It told of a terrible fire in an orphanage...many, many people, mainly children, were burned to death. And some forty children...mostly infants in their cradles...were never found. Their tiny bodies were completely destroyed in the flames.
Can God resurrect those little ones?

Upvote 0

Nathan A

Jul 25, 2012
California Gold Country
✟15,675.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read a story, long ago...I remember, because it gave me nightmares. It told of a terrible fire in an orphanage...many, many people, mainly children, were burned to death. And some forty children...mostly infants in their cradles...were never found. Their tiny bodies were completely destroyed in the flames.
Can God resurrect those little ones?
Plenty of people are lost at sea, or die in fires, or perish in other ways that prevent bones or any physical remains from surviving. No more remains exist for the vast majority of every human who has ever lived. Do you doubt that the God who created everything from nothing will have any trouble raising these people to life again? It's not like not having a body, or toenail, to work from would hamper God.

"Oops! John Wycliffe was a great guy and I was meaning to resurrect him, it's just too bad his detractors burned his body after his death."

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a difference between a 'resurrection' and a 're-creation' .

The scriptures do not teach a future re-creation of all who will have died.

The physical resurrection of the 'Messiah' Jesus, was a sign for the Jews. They had been waiting for this physical resurrection because it was to be tied to the Messiah. The Apostle Paul understood this very well, having been a Pharisee. This was why he used a different word in his letters to former Jews and those churches made up mostly of Gentiles. Peter, used the word for a physical resurrection because he went to preach to the Jews. After 70 A.D. with the assault on Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple, this word would have faded away. As the Apostle Paul taught, the saved go to Paradise or 'Heaven' when their body dies. There is no Judgment that they must pass. Those who are not saved, go to eternal punishment when their body dies.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The point is: If God can resurrect a martyr who was burned at the stake for his stand for Christ (and I don't know anyone who doubts that He can or that He will), He can resurrect a child who burned to death in an accidental fire.

Of course, He can, and He will...what is impossible for God?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm thinking there is a difference between a believer who got burned and an unbeliever.
Also we are not made from 'nothing'. We are made from clay, as it says in Genesis.
Perhaps the original clay was dust particles, but, I do know that Eve was made from Adam's rib. She was not made from 'nothing'.

I don't think it's a good idea to burn believers' bodies, obviously those that did, were hoping they would be completely destroyed. God will actually do that for unbelievers in hell.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I'm thinking there is a difference between a believer who got burned and an unbeliever.
Also we are not made from 'nothing'. We are made from clay, as it says in Genesis.
Perhaps the original clay was dust particles, but, I do know that Eve was made from Adam's rib. She was not made from 'nothing'..

Perhaps you have forgotten Who made the dirt?

I don't think it's a good idea to burn believers' bodies, obviously those that did, were hoping they would be completely destroyed. God will actually do that for unbelievers in hell.
And do you think God is incapable of resurrecting those believers?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No im just saying its not a good idea to burn believers.
Cos we know they wont be singed.

Also its disrespectful for a believer to be cremated. I trust my God and my body to God, I dont offer it up to be burned if can help it.

Anyway, God knows whos are His, he has the blueprints.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
God didnt make us out of dirt, he made us out of dust, from which he made clay from the earth from which he formed and made bones and breathed life into us.

I think if you hate what God made and wanted to destroy your body being cremated is the way to do it, its like thumbing your nose at God that he couldnt make you perfect.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
And some people think that it is better to have your bones all in one piece rather than bits of pieces of you ground and crushed into a powder and peed on by dogs.
To each his/her own.
The point is, God is able to resurrect in either case.

Upvote 0