Nov 12, 2008
✟241,102.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am always amazed at how people, here, don't comprehend what they are reading in someone else's post.
I stated that the video was that of an interview with an educated and experienced man.
I also stated that these threads are made by laymen, arguing, debating and discussing topics.
I also stated that when, in the past, I have posted my view, I have been demanded that I show "evidence" or a "source".
So, I post a video of both and I am told that they want my own view... Very confusing.
If my fellow poster would actually watch the video, they would realize that this person was not a layman.

Please tell me what would have been easier than posting the video in my post?... all the reader has to do is click a mouse.

Seriously... if I have to do a "forward" of the video... the person really isn't interested in clicking the mouse and watching it...

I'm not presenting a paper to my peers here.. I'm not handing in an essay or assignment for a professor...

I'm simply offering a video on a public Christian forum....

Ya.. no thanks.... I don't expect that of others... I mean, really... If they are really not interested in a video on the topic that they are arguing about.... I'm not going to dress it up with bows, bells and whistles.

Actually, there are examples out there that show that people of standing, people of tenure, people with funding and who represent certain icons of academia.... will lose their accreditation if they present high quality evidence that contradict the view commonly held today by most accredited people of power.
I would never entertain simply posting a video and saying" look at this" as you have done.
1. It is insensitive. Many people are reluctant to open a video without having some details of what it contains.
2. It is inconsiderate. Almost all people have limited time - expecting them to view a video without some assurance it will be worth their time is selfish.
3. It is counter productive. Many people refuse on principle to entertain any document or video that is not accompanied by an executive summary.
4. It is unprofessional. Did you ever read a scientific paper that lacked an abstract?
5. It is silly. Because of the foregoing your argument will be ignored and your chance of changing someone's mind will be reduced.
6. It is rude. That should be self evident, but since it is not self evident to you I thought it best to let you know.

• Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would never entertain simply posting a video and saying" look at this" as you have done.
1. It is insensitive. Many people are reluctant to open a video without having some details of what it contains.
2. It is inconsiderate. Almost all people have limited time - expecting them to view a video without some assurance it will be worth their time is selfish.
3. It is counter productive. Many people refuse on principle to entertain any document or video that is not accompanied by an executive summary.
4. It is unprofessional. Did you ever read a scientific paper that lacked an abstract?
5. It is silly. Because of the foregoing your argument will be ignored and your chance of changing someone's mind will be reduced.
6. It is rude. That should be self evident, but since it is not self evident to you I thought it best to let you know.
Ophiolite, I don't mean any disrespect, but this is just a public Christian forum. You may not entertain simply posting a video and saying "look at this"... But, it's common here.
So:
1. You think it's insensitive. I have no clue how it would offend people or hurt their feelings. You are the only one that has ever told me such. You are free to log on to this site. View the posts and comment if you like... or leave if you like. The post was not directed to you so feel free to ignore it.

2. It is inconsiderate. To this accusation I must indicate the purpose behind my posting such a video. It was in direct response to another poster here, not yourself. They stated ( in post#149) "Based on all of that, why on earth do you doubt human-driven global climate change?" So, I obliged them with an interview of a well respected and accredited man in the field. I don't find that inconsiderate.

If you are so stretched for time, it confuses me as to why you are even responding to my post with such a lengthy reply.

Feel free to move on and ignore such blatant wastes of time.

3. Sheesh... You are definitely at the wrong place if this is the sort of format you are expecting... Really?

4. My goodness, I didn't realize that my posts here were tantamount to scientific papers. Next time I will use footnotes... Do I get to use the word "Ibid".

5. Silly? Whats silly is people ignoring other views and observations due to the fact that they don't come on a silver platter with an apple in their mouth... Honestly... what did you expect when you logged onto this site?

6. Rude? Rude? No.. what's rude is responding to the conversation of two other people and expecting to be treated like some "Fellow" at a distinct conference.

So, either watch the video for the content that it contains.... OR, Stop wasting your time with things that are contrary to your dogma.... Stop interjecting into conversations that you were not part of, and for goodness sake.... ask yourself why you care about something that someone like me has posted.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,102.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Ophiolite, I don't mean any disrespect,
You may not mean any, but your post has substantial amounts within it.

Ophiolite, I don't mean any disrespect, but this is just a public Christian forum.
And it would be nice if members followed Christian ethical principles and made their posts as helpful as possible. My critique of your approach was not an attack on you, but a genuine attempt to make you aware of how that approach might impact others. It seems you are not open to such suggestions - that's fine - duly noted. Provisional judgement made.

You may not entertain simply posting a video and saying "look at this"... But, it's common here.
Yes. So I have noticed. It's a shame the mod/admin team don't encourage a more user friendly environment by discouraging the approach, but I recognise they are overstretched.

1. You think it's insensitive. I have no clue how it would offend people or hurt their feelings. You are the only one that has ever told me such. You are free to log on to this site. View the posts and comment if you like... or leave if you like. The post was not directed to you so feel free to ignore it.
It seems I was unclear. I have read multiple responses on forums, from multiple individuals, in multiple threads, over multiple years who have stated they are uncomfortable with opening a video that is unaccompanied by a good description of its content. I have now made you aware of this. If you choose to ignore their concerns in future that would seem to me to be insensitive. That aspect doesn't bother me at all from personal POV, but it clearly does concern others and it takes only minor effort to meet their needs.

2. It is inconsiderate. To this accusation I must indicate the purpose behind my posting such a video. It was in direct response to another poster here, not yourself. They stated ( in post#149) "Based on all of that, why on earth do you doubt human-driven global climate change?" So, I obliged them with an interview of a well respected and accredited man in the field. I don't find that inconsiderate.
As you have now noted three times, this is a public forum. Your approach might have been fine if you were conducting a private exchange by email. You were not. You were participating in a public discussion forum. It is appropriate to take account of others who will read the post. They may not have followed the entire conversation to that point and so a comprehensive summary would be of value to them.

If you are so stretched for time, it confuses me as to why you are even responding to my post with such a lengthy reply.

Feel free to move on and ignore such blatant wastes of time.
You seem to think that my objections all relate to my feelings on the matter. I have carefully re-read my original post and do not see how you extract that from what I wrote. I am concerned about the impact upon others and therefore, ultimately, on how well your message is received. I am making the assumption that you would like your message to be received and understood by others, else why would you take the trouble to put it out there? I'm offering you advice on how to better achieve that. (And I am doing this despite the fact that that I think your message is seriously faulty.)

3. Sheesh... You are definitely at the wrong place if this is the sort of format you are expecting... Really?
This is the one item on my list that I find personally important. Incoherent writing is a bugbear of mine. Nothing is more effective at getting a message across than providing a good summary of its intent. I am presently incandescent with rage with myself that I have not provided such a summary for this lengthy post and for that I offer sincere apologies. (As Mark Twain reportedly wrote at the end of a 20 page letter, "I intended to write you only a two page letter, but I didn't have time".)
Author's Message: There is nowhere on the planet where writing is employed that would not benefit from the use of executive summaries.

4. My goodness, I didn't realize that my posts here were tantamount to scientific papers. Next time I will use footnotes... Do I get to use the word "Ibid".
You don't need to be a scientist to go about writing in a professional manner. If you wish to be known as a slipshod writer, who has little regard for the concerns of his readers because this is "just a Christian forum", you go write ahead. Don't be surprised if people associate your slipshod style with your ideas. Your choice.
I may be giving you advice in an aggressive fashion, but that is only because I am passionate about the principles involved here. Follow it and you will garner more respect for your views. (Once again, this is dumb of me, since I should be encouraging you to keep up the same approach that will put many people off.)

5. Silly? Whats silly is people ignoring other views and observations due to the fact that they don't come on a silver platter with an apple in their mouth... Honestly... what did you expect when you logged onto this site?

6. Rude? Rude? No.. what's rude is responding to the conversation of two other people and expecting to be treated like some "Fellow" at a distinct conference..
Yep. Silly and rude. "Why bother to put a little extra effort into getting your ideas across. Let the reader work for it. You know you are right, so it's up to them whether they want to bother reading it or not" That is how you are coming across. Arrogant. Patronising. And ultimately uncaring about your own viewpoint.
Weird!

And once again, posting on open forum is not a "conversation between two other people".

So, either watch the video for the content that it contains.... OR, Stop wasting your time with things that are contrary to your dogma.... Stop interjecting into conversations that you were not part of, and for goodness sake....
You really need to learn how a discussion forum works. Any comment, by any one, is fully open to a response by any other member. Live with it.

. ask yourself why you care about something that someone like me has posted.
I don't need to ask myself. I know very distinctly.

Good communication is vital to effective cooperation between humans in families, friendships, companies, governments, social settings, and the myriad of other activities in which people are involved. I have spent a significant part of my professional and private life seeking to help people practice good communication. I have offered you advice that, if followed, would materially improve one aspect of your communication and that would be "a good thing". You are free to take advantage of that advice, or to think up further excuse to avoid it. I hope you choose the former.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You may not mean any, but your post has substantial amounts within it.

Feel free to reference it. Not just make blanket claims.. Oh, be careful not to show any yourself.

And it would be nice if members followed Christian ethical principles and made their posts as helpful as possible. My critique of your approach was not an attack on you, but a genuine attempt to make you aware of how that approach might impact others. It seems you are not open to such suggestions - that's fine - duly noted. Provisional judgement made.
Really? Show me where I was outside of my Christian principals.
Also, in all honesty, your critique, IMHO, would have been something that I would have expected from a professor at a university... not a fellow poster on a public forum.

Yes. So I have noticed. It's a shame the mod/admin team don't encourage a more user friendly environment by discouraging the approach, but I recognise they are overstretched.

Actually, if a forum was held to the level of restrictions that you are suggesting.. I wouldn't bother posting.. I'd go elsewhere.

It seems I was unclear. I have read multiple responses on forums, from multiple individuals, in multiple threads, over multiple years who have stated they are uncomfortable with opening a video that is unaccompanied by a good description of its content. I have now made you aware of this. If you choose to ignore their concerns in future that would seem to me to be insensitive. That aspect doesn't bother me at all from personal POV, but it clearly does concern others and it takes only minor effort to meet their needs.
Thanks for the information.. Guess you won't be opening a lot of videos that are posted here. Many of which are posted exactly as I did...

I'm really confused as to why anyone would find that offensive or insensitive or rude. I actually thought your entire post may have been a joke.

Seriously, if you think that my posts are rude and offensive.... stick around..

As you have now noted three times, this is a public forum. Your approach might have been fine if you were conducting a private exchange by email. You were not. You were participating in a public discussion forum. It is appropriate to take account of others who will read the post. They may not have followed the entire conversation to that point and so a comprehensive summary would be of value to them.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, and I have observed here, others take it as their own initiative to "catch up" with the content of the forum.
Just so you're aware, I'm not wearing a tuxedo, standing around with others eating hors d'oeuvres and sipping champagne while waiting for the key note speaker to arrive. It's a forum... not a conference or grand Gala.

You seem to think that my objections all relate to my feelings on the matter. I have carefully re-read my original post and do not see how you extract that from what I wrote. I am concerned about the impact upon others and therefore, ultimately, on how well your message is received. I am making the assumption that you would like your message to be received and understood by others, else why would you take the trouble to put it out there? I'm offering you advice on how to better achieve that. (And I am doing this despite the fact that that I think your message is seriously faulty.)

Thank you for your concern.. However, I feel that my approach is, from what I have observed on this forum.. quite the norm.

This is the one item on my list that I find personally important. Incoherent writing is a bugbear of mine. Nothing is more effective at getting a message across than providing a good summary of its intent. I am presently incandescent with rage with myself that I have not provided such a summary for this lengthy post and for that I offer sincere apologies. (As Mark Twain reportedly wrote at the end of a 20 page letter, "I intended to write you only a two page letter, but I didn't have time".)
Author's Message: There is nowhere on the planet where writing is employed that would not benefit from the use of executive summaries.

You are joking? Right?

Is that you Jay.. you're trolling right? :oldthumbsup: Good one.

You don't need to be a scientist to go about writing in a professional manner. If you wish to be known as a slipshod writer, who has little regard for the concerns of his readers because this is "just a Christian forum", you go write ahead. Don't be surprised if people associate your slipshod style with your ideas. Your choice.

I'll have to live dangerously then... but thanks for the warning...Heaven forbid that I am labeled as "slipshod". But, I'll probably get over it.. yep.. already over it.

I may be giving you advice in an aggressive fashion, but that is only because I am passionate about the principles involved here. Follow it and you will garner more respect for your views. (Once again, this is dumb of me, since I should be encouraging you to keep up the same approach that will put many people off.)

Did you just use the word "dumb".. Not really a word that I would have expected from you. I would have been more comfortable had you used "naive", "nescient", "cretinous", "obtuse" or any other such floridity.

Yep. Silly and rude. "Why bother to put a little extra effort into getting your ideas across. Let the reader work for it. You know you are right, so it's up to them whether they want to bother reading it or not" That is how you are coming across. Arrogant. Patronising. And ultimately uncaring about your own viewpoint.
Weird!

Ya, sorry, I've seen the same methodology, that I used in posting my video, used many times here by many others.... Never once have I even felt that it was rude or offensive in any way or style that you could describe with the many other condescending adjectives we have at our disposal.

And once again, posting on open forum is not a "conversation between two other people".

Nor is the conversation in a crowded room.. yet I don't blurt in and critique either party, in that setting either.

I'm, again, confused. You, a person so concerned about etiquette, yet you missed that one.

You really need to learn how a discussion forum works. Any comment, by any one, is fully open to a response by any other member. Live with it.

Really? Check out my number of posts here... If I haven't figured that out by now... then feel free to use the word "dumb" when describing me. However, it still seems contrary to your style to stoop to such vernacular.

I don't need to ask myself. I know very distinctly.

Good communication is vital to effective cooperation between humans in families, friendships, companies, governments, social settings, and the myriad of other activities in which people are involved. I have spent a significant part of my professional and private life seeking to help people practice good communication. I have offered you advice that, if followed, would materially improve one aspect of your communication and that would be "a good thing". You are free to take advantage of that advice, or to think up further excuse to avoid it. I hope you choose the former.
What is it they say about "advice not asked for"? It's criticism.

They also say:

The people sensible enough to give good advice are usually sensible enough to give none.

And

Advice is like cooking--you should try it before you feed it to others.

images.jpg

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,102.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You are joking? Right?
Thank you for belittling soemthing I have devoted a significant portion of my life to. (A six figure salary suggests someone saw value in it.)

I'm really confused as to why anyone would find that offensive or insensitive or rude. I actually thought your entire post may have been a joke.
Perhaps you are just having trouble picking up on it because you are insensitive.

Nor is the conversation in a crowded room.. yet I don't blurt in and critique either party, in that setting either.
I'm, again, confused. You, a person so concerned about etiquette, yet you missed that one.
Despite your time on the forum you still don't understand that any member may comment on any post that is made. It is normal, it is acceptable. Live with it.

What is it they say about "advice not asked for"? It's criticism.
Fair enough. In that case I am highly critical of your posting style. I'm sorry you are unable to take that criticism and use it for self improvement, but prefer to pretend you don't have a problem.

I look forward to ignoring many more of your videos and challenging your unsupported arguments in future. Best of luck.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for belittling soemthing I have devoted a significant portion of my life to. (A six figure salary suggests someone saw value in it.)

Well, at least you were paid well.
And, let me make it clear.... Proper etiquette grammar, punctuation and manners... is important. As is protocol and procedure...in an environment that dictates such attention to detail..
I have just never found it necessary here.. by myself or from others.

Perhaps you are just having trouble picking up on it because you are insensitive.
That's gotta be it....That's me to a "T". Just ask around...

Despite your time on the forum you still don't understand that any member may comment on any post that is made. It is normal, it is acceptable. Live with it.
Oh, I understand that. It's never been the problem. However, having someone tell me why another poster probably isn't viewing a video that I posted.. and advising that I should have been more formal in the presentation... I just find that a bit intrusive.

Don't worry. I'll get over it.

Fair enough. In that case I am highly critical of your posting style. I'm sorry you are unable to take that criticism and use it for self improvement, but prefer to pretend you don't have a problem.

Believe as you wish. Pretend as you must.

I look forward to ignoring many more of your videos and challenging your unsupported arguments in future. Best of luck.
Carry on then. Ignore anything that is presented, that contradicts your view, and is supported by accredited knowledgeable people in the field...

And.. feel free to find trivial non related excuses for not viewing it. How something was presented is always more important that it's contents and message.... Right?

In the end... would it not have been more time efficient to have just watched the video?

Upvote 0