Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So in studying all those rocks you never actually took an historical geology class? Yeah, no surprise that the climate changes. Only problem is is those scientists who study the changes IN THE PAST see that many if not most of the drivers that are driving the climate change THEN are NOT drying the change NOW.

That's how paleoclimate research works. It's PRECISELY BECAUSE WE KNOW CLIMATE HAS CHANGED IN THE PAST that we know a lot about why it's changing now.

And you study rocks and minerals from all over the world? Do you not have any geology training? Is it all just inorganic chemistry? You should take some earth science classes. It will help make sense of what those rocks are saying.

Are you trying to tell us you don't know the names of any actual SCIENTISTS in this debate? I mean you say you study science, and in an area that I am rather well familiar, and yet the only person you can talk about is Al Gore?

Wow. I would have thought you could maybe discuss some of the bigger names in the SCIENCE.

That's why I'm happy to talk to you about the SCIENCE, the hardcore stuff. The minute you bring up some data and your critique of it we can so.

WOW! Really? You think that way? I wouldn't really like you around my analytical chemical team if you don't understand that small quantities can sometimes make a big difference.

Perhaps you could read about the Stefan-Boltzmann Equation and factor in the difference between the blackbody temperature of the earth's surface and the actual temperature. And if you know anything about how the majority of the gases in the atmosphere work you'll have a better idea. There's almost NO debate over the critical role of greenhouse gases in maintaining the nearly 30deg difference between the blackbody temp of earth's surface and the actual surface temp.

So you are also saying you have not read any of the IPCC reports and have no real understanding of the SRES's?

The amount of material you clearly DON'T know about is manifest in this statement. Yes these things all factor in, but they are not the ONLY things. But then you don't even seem to understand chemistry, so well, you know. If you think just pointing at a small number and drawing some conclusion about it's impact, well...there's nothing to STOP you from learning.

Are you telling us you don't know the difference between climate and weather??? Wow! What do you do, exactly, in the lab you work in. Are you sure you actually do any science?

[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], you think that ice floating in water tells you something amazing? Did you just sit in on a Jr High science class? C'mon, man, EVERYONE with even an Associates degree in science know how melting ice in a container of water works and the difference between density and molecular packing in an ice cube in water. Wow. You sound like you just discovered basic science.

Now here's a hint: look at a picture of the globe and remember that a LOT OF ICE IS NOT SEA-ICE and it's melting. That excess water will go INTO the glass, it wasn't there before. It will raise sea levels.

This is basic simple math, dude!

What on earth do you DO in your lab?

Ok. Yeah, I'll take your word for it, the guy who works on all those pieces of equipment but who doesn't appear to understand basic earth science. Yikes!
We can all learn something valuable each day.

The Bible mentions quite a bit on knowledge.

It can puff one up.

Rather than make humble, it can exalt self.

And on it goes, but the last two are certainly not least.

As high as the heavens above us are, so are God's thoughts above our thoughts.

And the Bible mentions a person can have all knowledge but if he does not walk in love he is like a noisy gong.

There are many valuable things we can learn from one another and the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Do you think Jack is going to be able to teach me anything in regards to climate science, AV?

See? That's just it... I know you are not going to listen to me... But... you won't even listen to the interview of a man who could have lectured you in your school...

All I can do is assume that you just don't want to listen to anyone.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Did you make the video?

It might be the greatest video on earth by the most knowledgeable person on earth. I'm not wasting MY time watching the thing that fascinates YOU. If you like the info, present it. If you don't or you don't care about it or you don't understand it, fine. I don't care.

If you were half as smart as you let on you could EXPLAIN WHAT YOU LIKE about the video IN YOUR OWN WORDS. I don't have to prove anything. It's not my video it's not my point.

Nope, I'd LOVE to talk about any science you understand sufficient to discuss. What I won't do is waste my time watching a video you like. 99% of the time when I do this I end up making a point-by-point analysis of the video only to have people like you just walk away as if no one said anything.

So why bother this time? You're like all the others. You talk a big game but when you need to talk details you point to someone else's video.

Speak for yourself. It lets people know you understand what you are watching. And besides, I honestly DO NOT CARE what videos turn you on. I like THIS video:

Hilarious... You won't watch other posters vids....... yet post your own...... Too funny.

Upvote 0

theQuincunx5

Apr 7, 2018
Seattle
✟47,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I doubt you'll stick around much longer.

Remember verysincere?

Came here ranting and raving, arcing and sparking, screaming and yelling ... then booked.

Thanks. I'm glad you got something from my post. I'm glad I attempted to moderate my tone. It's that way with people like you. You are a form of "taker". People must pay attention to you and your comments, no matter how nasty or hypocritical are like unto pure golden manna falling from heaven.

I actually start to feel bad giving you back what you seem to dish out...it makes me feel bad about myself to do that to someone. So I attempt to kind of back off a bit.

Only to be met with....this.

Good on ya. I'm sure Yahweh is proud of you.

Upvote 0

theQuincunx5

Apr 7, 2018
Seattle
✟47,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hilarious... You won't watch other posters vids....... yet post your own...... Too funny.

...ummmm, I was making fun of your point. Sorry. I shouldn't be so subtle I guess? Which is why I posted the video I did.

Look, Jack, this thread and this forum are starting to get to me. I find myself getting far too negative and nasty.

If you have your favorite videos by people who tell you what you want to hear, then by all means ENJOY THEM! Don't confuse that with personal insight, it's just other people talking.

Wait until you're a little further in your career. When you aren't just the lab tech and you have to build on the data yourself. It's a tough transition, but don't let your personal haughtiness stand in the way of a good career later on. We all start out as lab techs and if we remember that we are on our way TO bigger knowledge rather than assuming we are already there, it tends to make for a more solid path in the sciences.

I've been through it (although I wasn't quite as self-absorbed when I was still starting out, I tried to maintain my humility a bit moreso, it helps with the "learning" aspect, but sure we all try to spread our wings sometimes a bit too early.)

Slow your roll a bit. Take the time to learn your craft and learn the science. It does start to come together later on. Enjoy your time in the lab.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

theQuincunx5

Apr 7, 2018
Seattle
✟47,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We can all learn something valuable each day.

The Bible mentions quite a bit on knowledge.

I agree. There is a great deal of good knowledge in the Bible.

It can puff one up.

True dat.

And the Bible mentions a person can have all knowledge but if he does not walk in love he is like a noisy gong.

There are many valuable things we can learn from one another and the Bible.

Yup. Totally agree.

Upvote 0

theQuincunx5

Apr 7, 2018
Seattle
✟47,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
All I can do is assume that you just don't want to listen to anyone.

You call that a reasonable deduction? Seriously? Just because I'm bone tired of watching someone's favorite video as if they made it themselves?

Like I said I've been through this about a billion times. If I watch the video and if I bother to make any comments on it you're about 99% likely to just walk away. I've seen that game over and over and over and over.

And why? Because the person who posted it doesn't understand it enough to bring the conversation themselves. If it isn't important enough for YOU to even understand why make me watch it? What possible value will it have for me to play YOUR game? I've already played it about a thousand times with all manner of creationist and climate denier the internet can throw at me.

It's just boring at this point! And you seem to think you've stumbled onto some new "technique"?

So naive. So young.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, I believe that some people would not even believe the Gospel if it was not for the fact that the eternal salvation of their soul depended on it.

The life of Jesus Christ has so many miraculous supernatural events. It is what we Christians believe and have faith in.. It is what saves our souls..

But, soon as you move away from the salvation topic... People start tossing this and tossing that.. as not true... allegorical... myth or metaphor. It's a slippery slope.

It's an equally slippery slope to claim that nothing in scripture is allegorical, even though many things obviously are.

In the end.. the Bible will be shown to be solid truth and the Living Word of our Creator.

But not every different person and sect's interpretation of it (many of which are mutually exclusive).

So, not directly? Did God not dictate much of the words that Moses wrote? The rest of the biblical scripture is so dear to Christ that He states that not one Jot or Tittle should be changed.

Direct words from God are recorded in parts of the OT, and in the Gospels. But that's a relatively small fraction of the overall text.

So, how do you determine what is allegory and what is literal

Based on a metric. God created the universe, and examination of His creation reveals certain things. Take any given event in scripture, and compare it to the records in nature itself. They will fall into one of 3 different categories:

A. The Bible says X, direct examination of God's creation also says X

In that case, I believe X is true.

B. The Bible says X, direct examination of God's creation neither supports or contradicts X.

In that case, I also believe X is true.

C. The Bible says X, direct examination of God's creation shows not only not X, but also that something else Y, which is mutually exclusive, happen(s).

In that case, we are likely not interpreting scripture correctly when we claim that it says X.

An example:

Job 38:37 said:
Who can number the clouds in wisdom? or who can stay the bottles of heaven,

I think we can safely say rain does not come from actual bottles in the sky. Therefore, it makes sense to say that this is a poetic metaphor for rainclouds. I'm guessing that you agree, and you're not insisting that scientists are engaged in a worldwide conspiracy to cover up the evidence of the giant bottles in the air.

Is Sodom and Gomorrah myth or true?
Is the talking donkey truth?
Is the talking snake?
Moses parting the Red Sea?
Jonah and the fish?
Jesus walking on water?
Feeding the 5000?

These all fall under Class B.

If you cannot discern between things this obvious... and the literal things that we are told in the scriptures that are only dismissed because they contradict the Church of Darwin.... There are other translations and commentaries that can help you.

There is no church of Darwin. You've been indoctrinated by your creationist upbringing to think that the ToE and many aspects of modern science are a Satanic conspiracy, rather than just observations about the world we live in. If your worldview was consistent, you would be complaining about the 'church of meteorology' suppressing the evidence of the bottles in the sky too.

In fact, by denying the age of the universe, you are yourself calling God a liar, because you are denying what is clearly written in His creation.

Psalm 19:1 said:
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

When we examine the sky we see a universe that is billions of years old. Thus that is what God intended.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
...ummmm, I was making fun of your point. Sorry. I shouldn't be so subtle I guess? Which is why I posted the video I did.

Look, Jack, this thread and this forum are starting to get to me. I find myself getting far too negative and nasty.

If you have your favorite videos by people who tell you what you want to hear, then by all means ENJOY THEM! Don't confuse that with personal insight, it's just other people talking.

Wait until you're a little further in your career. When you aren't just the lab tech and you have to build on the data yourself. It's a tough transition, but don't let your personal haughtiness stand in the way of a good career later on. We all start out as lab techs and if we remember that we are on our way TO bigger knowledge rather than assuming we are already there, it tends to make for a more solid path in the sciences.

I've been through it (although I wasn't quite as self-absorbed when I was still starting out, I tried to maintain my humility a bit moreso, it helps with the "learning" aspect, but sure we all try to spread our wings sometimes a bit too early.)

Slow your roll a bit. Take the time to learn your craft and learn the science. It does start to come together later on. Enjoy your time in the lab.
You're very presumptive....I've been working in my career since the times when we did all our math and graphs by hand....

I'm still amazed at youngsters like yourself that assume that they are so full of knowledge and have this "righteous indignation" towards those that contradict their dogma.

So, dodge the video all you want. Make all the excuses that you can as to why you won't watch it.

I lose respect for those who refuse to observe new data. Science is exploring all the observations and data... not just what agrees with our view.

Don't worry. As you mature, you will find, as I did that wisdom does come with age.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You call that a reasonable deduction? Seriously? Just because I'm bone tired of watching someone's favorite video as if they made it themselves?
First, It's not my favorite video. Second, I take no claim to making it myself. Third.. I stumbled on to this interview while researching what top scientists are saying about "global warming" ...er... ah... "climate change".

Like I said I've been through this about a billion times. If I watch the video and if I bother to make any comments on it you're about 99% likely to just walk away. I've seen that game over and over and over and over.
Now, now.. we all know what "assuming" does.

You make all these predictions.. about the video, about me... and none are founded on any substantial reasoning.... I certainly hope that your science is not based on the same type of deductions.

And why? Because the person who posted it doesn't understand it enough to bring the conversation themselves. If it isn't important enough for YOU to even understand why make me watch it? What possible value will it have for me to play YOUR game? I've already played it about a thousand times with all manner of creationist and climate denier the internet can throw at me.

I have found that when I post the points made in such a video.. I am hammered with demands for "evidence" and "where is your source"?

So, I post my source, directly and you seem to find it unacceptable because I didn't do a readers digest version..

This is a very odd approach.

It's just boring at this point! And you seem to think you've stumbled onto some new "technique"?

What "new" technique would that be? Presenting a live video of an expert answering questions? I hope that is not new.

So naive. So young.
OK gramps....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's an equally slippery slope to claim that nothing in scripture is allegorical, even though many things obviously are.
I never made such a claim.

But not every different person and sect's interpretation of it (many of which are mutually exclusive).
I agree.

Direct words from God are recorded in parts of the OT, and in the Gospels. But that's a relatively small fraction of the overall text.
I agree that there are parts that are actually God speaking or Christ. There are also parts that were dictated to Moses.

Over all, what is written in the scripture is God's words penned by men, inspired by the Holy Spirit.
It is:
2 Timothy 3:16 King James Version (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Based on a metric. God created the universe, and examination of His creation reveals certain things. Take any given event in scripture, and compare it to the records in nature itself. They will fall into one of 3 different categories:

A. The Bible says X, direct examination of God's creation also says X

In that case, I believe X is true.

B. The Bible says X, direct examination of God's creation neither supports or contradicts X.

In that case, I also believe X is true.

C. The Bible says X, direct examination of God's creation shows not only not X, but also that something else Y, which is mutually exclusive, happen(s).

In that case, we are likely not interpreting scripture correctly when we claim that it says X.

An example:

I think we can safely say rain does not come from actual bottles in the sky. Therefore, it makes sense to say that this is a poetic metaphor for rainclouds. I'm guessing that you agree, and you're not insisting that scientists are engaged in a worldwide conspiracy to cover up the evidence of the giant bottles in the air.

These all fall under Class B.
Understood.

There is no church of Darwin. You've been indoctrinated by your creationist upbringing to think that the ToE and many aspects of modern science are a Satanic conspiracy, rather than just observations about the world we live in. If your worldview was consistent, you would be complaining about the 'church of meteorology' suppressing the evidence of the bottles in the sky too.

I think that, if you were to take a good look, honestly... You will find that the Darwinian camp is more dogmatic with their view than the collective church. Just try to contradict one of the pillars of their religion. They have more faith than most Christians.

In fact, by denying the age of the universe, you are yourself calling God a liar, because you are denying what is clearly written in His creation.

When we examine the sky we see a universe that is billions of years old. Thus that is what God intended.
How so?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think that, if you were to take a good look, honestly... You will find that the Darwinian camp is more dogmatic with their view than the collective church. Just try to contradict one of the pillars of their religion. They have more faith than most Christians.

The science advocates here are no more Darwinian than they are Wegenerian or Fracastoroian. We accept the conclusions of the science based on evidence, not on authority. And there is no "church" of Darwin nor it there a religion of Darwin. that simply is a lie.

As far as your comment about "pillars" goes, you seem to be confusing reacting to the lies and debunked nonsense promulgated by Creationists as a "dogmatic" reaction rather than simply reacting to falsehoods as people normally do.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Well if you're not making that claim, then it seems that you must be claiming to have perfect exegetical skills. Which is something I strongly doubt.

Just FYI you attributed the rest of the quotes in your post to someone other than me.

I agree that there are parts that are actually God speaking or Christ. There are also parts that were dictated to Moses.

Over all, what is written in the scripture is God's words penned by men, inspired by the Holy Spirit.
It is:
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So we're on the same page here.

Understood.

Which religion would that be? If you're talking about atheists, I was just arguing in another thread that they can be very dogmatic (and of course they were disagreeing with me), but scientific theories are not religions, and are studied by people with all kinds of different religious beliefs. If you have a competent and honest scientist, and you give them clear data to analyze, they will come up with the same conclusion, whether the scientist in question happens to be a Christian, Jew, Muslim, atheist, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. For example, the age of an artifact determined with radiometric dating won't change based on the religion of the scientist doing the procedure.

The heavens and stars are a direct testament to God's handiwork. We can detect trillions of trillions of stars, stretching across billions of light-years of space, showing a universe that is very old. If (as some creationists argue), God created the universe recently, but with the appearance of age, then that would render Psalm 19 false, as what we would be seeing would not be the glory of God's work, but rather an illusion created to mask God's work.

Upvote 0

theQuincunx5

Apr 7, 2018
Seattle
✟47,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You're very presumptive....I've been working in my career since the times when we did all our math and graphs by hand....

You really have me intrigued. It doesn't seem you can explain why you doubt climate change so you point to what other people say on a video.

Maybe I need to re-frame (since you are incapable of this). Let's go over why _I_ (who also started out in those days of hand-graphing) believe anthropogenic climate change in a simple list:

1. We have known for 150+ years that CO2 absorbs in the IR region. (You can confirm it everytime you do a background scan on an open chamber in your FTIR --I am assuming you know what an FTIR is).

2. We know that all things being equal the black body radiation of the earth is about 255K (again, assuming you know that K is Kelvin) and that would be about the same given an atmosphere of O2 and N2 (the dominant gases in the earth's atmosphere), but GREENHOUSE GASES like CO2,CH4 and H2O allow us to have a surface temperature about 30K HIGHER than that (you can confirm all of this with a simple Stefan-Boltzmann calculation).

3. H2O is a greenhouse gas, yes, but the key difference is that the hydrologic cycle means that excess H2O in the atmosphere can re-equilibrate back down to normal levels quickly so it acts like a "feedback" rather than a "forcing" (again, common chemical sense, you should know about the hydrologic cycle). Meanwhile excess CO2 in the atmosphere cannot cycle back out that quickly because it relies on the carbon cycle which is much slower. Yes, individual molecules of CO2 exchange out of the atmosphere but usually with another molecule of CO2 from ocean surface.

4. We know the CO2 level has increased over the last 150 years...almost perfectly in step with the timeline of mass industrialization and enormous increases in CO2 emissions from burning fossil and vegetal fuels.

5. The 13-C/12-C ratio has skewed to more and more 12-C exactly as one would expect from the burning of masses of fossil and vegetal fuels (again, since you have mass spec experience you no doubt understand this. Plants tend to fix lighter Carbon. It's pretty standard isotope chemistry)

6. Prior to massive nuclear atmospheric testing in the 50's and 60's the 14-C content was dropping (again, exactly as expected from the mass burning of 14-C depleted fossil fuels).

7. Satellite measurement of outgoing IR has changed over the last 50 or so years and we see more IR being blocked in the outgoing with time. (Now, granted, the IR still comes out, just at higher and higher elevations per standard radiation physics.)

8. Global average temperatures are increasing but none of the forcings which have driven warming in earth's geologic past are in the right conditions to account for this warming. (This is where a solid understanding of geologic history comes in handy). Yes we know it has warmed before and we have a pretty good idea of why it warmed in the past and right now the MAIN FORCING which seems to be driving the majority of the warmth is human activity. (This is where a solid understanding of statistics and statistical modelling comes in handy)

I lose respect for those who refuse to observe new data. Science is exploring all the observations and data... not just what agrees with our view.

why don't you impress me with your arguments.

• Informative
Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

theQuincunx5

Apr 7, 2018
Seattle
✟47,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have found that when I post the points made in such a video.. I am hammered with demands for "evidence" and "where is your source"?

So, I post my source, directly and you seem to find it unacceptable because I didn't do a readers digest version..

This is a very odd approach.

I see you have probably never written a peer reviewed article or even an MS thesis let alone a dissertation.

Citing one's sources is always great. It means I can go back and check your work. But if you think that you can get a publication accepted by simply saying "Hey, Dr. so-and-so over here said something I really like, watch this fun video!" you will be very unpleasantly surprised.

What "new" technique would that be? Presenting a live video of an expert answering questions? I hope that is not new.

No the "technique" is finding a video that sounds good to you and just thinking having someone else speak on your behalf is equivalent to understanding the science. And the second part of the technique is for you to run away from a technical discussion.

In my previous post I listed a suite of TECHNICAL reasons why I believe an anthropogenic global warming. Here's a bet: you won't address any of them in detail. the most you'll do is point to someone else's video. I would LOVE to be wrong!

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theQuincunx5

Apr 7, 2018
Seattle
✟47,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I agree.

It is:

Understood.

How so?

Somehow a bunch of quotes in this thread that you were replying to were attributed to me. They are not my quotes, I think maybe they are Strathos's? (Maybe a glitch in the software).

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Somehow a bunch of quotes in this thread that you were replying to were attributed to me. They are not my quotes, I think maybe they are Strathos's? (Maybe a glitch in the software).
Maybe an error on my part due to the volume of posts that I am trying to respond to.

In response to another of your posts... my posts, on this forum, are not scientific papers that I am presenting for peer review.

For the most part, it is laymen, discussing, arguing and debating on certain subjects.
If I have a source, I divulge it. In many cases I post it for those, who are open to other views, to view it.

As for the video...To make it easier... Why not just treat the video that I posted as this:

Let's say I went to a lecture and learned a lot of new information on a certain subject. The lecture had been recorded and, instead of me trying to tell someone what I learned... they can watch it for themselves for free?

I don't believe that you have any intention to watch it.. for whatever reason, of the many that you have given.

Again, this is not the action of a true scientific mind. True scientific minds examine all observations from all sources... They do not ignore something for the fear that it may bring light onto something that they disagree with...

On the contrary.. scientists are open and hungry for all evidences, observations and findings... Due to their integrity and desire for truth.. not just anything that perpetuates their personal view.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,845.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe an error on my part due to the volume of posts that I am trying to respond to.

In response to another of your posts... my posts, on this forum, are not scientific papers that I am presenting for peer review.

For the most part, it is laymen, discussing, arguing and debating on certain subjects.

Why, when talking about scientific topics, would you site laymen instead of actual scientific sources?

If I have a source, I divulge it. In many cases I post it for those, who are open to other views, to view it.

As for the video...To make it easier... Why not just treat the video that I posted as this:

Let's say I went to a lecture and learned a lot of new information on a certain subject. The lecture had been recorded and, instead of me trying to tell someone what I learned... they can watch it for themselves for free?

If you want people to watch videos supporting your case, make it as easy as possible for them.

Explain who the video is presented by, and what (if any) relevant education, expertise or experience they have in the topic area.

Quote them directly, and then either add timestamped links (easy to do with youtube, right click on a video and click on 'copy at current time') or provide the timestamps yourself.

For example:

Here is
the first in a series of videos by youtuber MartyMer81, debunking a number of the claims made by flatearthers about the shape of the earth. At 2:24, he gives a convincing description of why the earth is not a flat disc, using evidence from the shape of the shadow cast by earth on the moon.

Again, this is not the action of a true scientific mind. True scientific minds examine all observations from all sources...

That's plainly not true. There is a hierarchy of evidence available to scientists, based on the quality of the evidence. Evidence that fails to meet certain basic criteria is routinely discounted or ignored. Evidence that has high quality is given more weight than evidence with low quality.

For example. A few months ago, I helped to edit a systematic review of best practice for a particular medical procedure. Getting the highest quality of evidence, like double-blind trials and randomised control trials, was impossible due to ethics concerns.

So, we had to rely on a larger number of cohort studies and outcome studies, along with meta/statistical analyses of those studies and literature surveys. Even then, a significant proportion of outcome studies and cohort studies were excluded due to quality concerns. Studies with insufficient sample sizes, information/practice biases, problems with methodology and other issues were not included in the review.

They do not ignore something for the fear that it may bring light onto something that they disagree with...

It's not "fear" that causes scientists to dismiss this "evidence", it's quality.

Look at the quality of evidence supporting the case that the earth is an oblate sphereoid. Then look at the quality of the evidence supporting the flat earth position.

The former has several thousand years of painstaking observation involving large teams of dedicated scientists, making conclusions that are supported by concordant conclusion made by multiple independent groups. The latter mostly consists primarily of youtube "skeptics" misapplying trigonometry and conducting backyard experiments.

• Winner
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why, when talking about scientific topics, would you site laymen instead of actual scientific sources?

I am always amazed at how people, here, don't comprehend what they are reading in someone else's post.
I stated that the video was that of an interview with an educated and experienced man.
I also stated that these threads are made by laymen, arguing, debating and discussing topics.
I also stated that when, in the past, I have posted my view, I have been demanded that I show "evidence" or a "source".
So, I post a video of both and I am told that they want my own view... Very confusing.
If my fellow poster would actually watch the video, they would realize that this person was not a layman.

If you want people to watch videos supporting your case, make it as easy as possible for them.
Please tell me what would have been easier than posting the video in my post?... all the reader has to do is click a mouse.

Explain who the video is presented by, and what (if any) relevant education, expertise or experience they have in the topic area.
Seriously... if I have to do a "forward" of the video... the person really isn't interested in clicking the mouse and watching it...

I'm not presenting a paper to my peers here.. I'm not handing in an essay or assignment for a professor...

I'm simply offering a video on a public Christian forum....

Quote them directly, and then either add timestamped links (easy to do with youtube, right click on a video and click on 'copy at current time') or provide the timestamps yourself.

For example:

Here is
the first in a series of videos by youtuber MartyMer81, debunking a number of the claims made by flatearthers about the shape of the earth. At 2:24, he gives a convincing description of why the earth is not a flat disc, using evidence from the shape of the shadow cast by earth on the moon.

Ya.. no thanks.... I don't expect that of others... I mean, really... If they are really not interested in a video on the topic that they are arguing about.... I'm not going to dress it up with bows, bells and whistles.

That's plainly not true. There is a hierarchy of evidence available to scientists, based on the quality of the evidence. Evidence that fails to meet certain basic criteria is routinely discounted or ignored. Evidence that has high quality is given more weight than evidence with low quality.

Actually, there are examples out there that show that people of standing, people of tenure, people with funding and who represent certain icons of academia.... will lose their accreditation if they present high quality evidence that contradict the view commonly held today by most accredited people of power.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,845.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually, there are examples out there that show that people of standing, people of tenure, people with funding and who represent certain icons of academia.... will lose their accreditation if they present high quality evidence that contradict the view commonly held today by most accredited people of power.

Feel free to show them. With supporting evidence, of course.

• Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0