PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
We've all had those times in our lives in which we've made complete fools of ourselves publicly through our ignorance in one scientific topic or another. Sharing time! I shall go first.

My most embarrassing scientific error was mentioning cold fusion as a legitimate possible source of energy in the near future. I did this in a presentation in my introductory engineering class during my freshman year of college. I retroactively feel like such a moron for that, I bet the instructor internally cringed from that.

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This actually happened to me last semester. My professor was teaching us about the neurological system right, so she asked us all to write a question on a piece of a paper and to see if by the end of the class the question was answered
So silly me
I wrote "Why do we only use 10% of our brain" LOL
I didn't even know it was a myth. Everyone in the lecture laughed. I was SO embarrassed lolololol
One girl even messaged me the next day to say she didn't mean to laugh so hard or hurt my feelings. I was like "No, it's all good"
lolololololol

• Winner
Reactions: Grandpa2390
Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can remember in kindergarten being taught that thunder was caused by the collision of clouds...
And it made sense because thunder isn't a solid boom. and clouds are not a uniform shape.

I learned later that teachers don't know science that well.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Maybe not my most embarrasing one, but the one I still clearly remember, after all these decades.
A test about heat capacity and energy transfer: we were to calculate how fast a ice cube suspended over a candle would melt.
I calculated and recalculated multiple times, but I couldn't find the mistake: My little icecube took over three days to melt. ;)

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I wrote a pair of scripts to analyse and track somatic hypermutation in B cell receptor rearrangement. I didn't notice the first script used a 1 based array and the second a 0 based array, so all columns were shifted 1 to the left. Luckily the mistake was caught prior to submission.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I was in the 9th grade, I put together a science project on our solar system: complete with facts about each of our planets -- and I included Pluto! :doh:

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
When I was in the 9th grade, I put together a science project on our solar system: complete with facts about each of our planets -- and I included Pluto! :doh:
And that's the only time you've been right about science!(Pluto was defined as a planet according to astronomers at the time I suspect you were taught, though I am assuming they'd discovered Pluto by then)

• Haha
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We've all had those times in our lives in which we've made complete fools of ourselves publicly through our ignorance in one scientific topic or another. Sharing time! I shall go first.

My most embarrassing scientific error was mentioning cold fusion as a legitimate possible source of energy in the near future. I did this in a presentation in my introductory engineering class during my freshman year of college. I retroactively feel like such a moron for that, I bet the instructor internally cringed from that.

In high school, when I was about 14-15, I was totally into Atlantis and Mu as being literal history. It all made sense to me. There were these 2 great civilizations of extremely advanced people with advanced technology powered by solar energy. Some great catastrophy then disturbed the piece and as a result of this turmoil they went to war and destroyed eachother.

Survivors then went on to found new civilisations which were extremely primitive which made sense to me, as the "great technology" of their ancestral civilisation was lost in the war and the natural disasters.

I further tied that into "sensible", by saying that this explains why agriculture seemed to have been development independently all around the world within the span of just a couple of centuries. I believed that these weren't seperate development, but that they all simply knew about it because all their ancestors were inhabitants of either Mu or Atlantis.

It was all a well-thought out story imo. It fit quite nicely in my mind.
Off course, later on I discovered that it's just that: a nice story.

Would make for a nice HBO series though....
Episode 1: the great civilization of old
Episode 2: the catastrophe
Episode 3: war!
Episode 4: the day after
Episode 5 to x: rebuilding civilisation in various parts of the world

I'ld watch that!

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Okay I won't go into the embarrassing details but I'll just say this: taking a massive hit of R-134A to cool off on a hot summer day may sound like a good idea - it is not. On the bright side though, after I got out of the hospital I could see through metal.
71d.png

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was part way through a lesson on the conservation of momentum in a collision to a High School science class when I realized when I realized I was calculating energy not momentum. Had to apologize and start over. They never let me forget it. LOL

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
The error that influenced me most was my graduate thesis, "The Habituation of the Peripheral Vasoconstrictive Response to Noise" - basically seeing how skin bloodflow, which is responsive to noise and is a measure of stress, gets accustomed to hearing it at intervals over 5 days. I had to recruit fellow students as subjects, have them come and sit, listening to noise, in a tiny sound chamber while the blood flow in a finger was measured (non-invasively), for half an hour a day over five consecutive days... I never realised how hard it would be just to get that commitment from a few people.

When all the testing was finished, and I'd spent days analysing the data, it was all over the place - seemingly completely random. It wasn't until I read up in detail about what I'd been measuring, that I discovered that it wasn't just sensitive to noise, it was even more sensitive to alcohol, nicotine, caffiene, exercise, yawning, stress, quality of sleep, and a host of other influences - and I'd been measuring it on students, whose activities (in those days) were organized around all those things, more often than not to excess...

I had no sensible data for my write-up, so I switched it to a critique of all the things that went wrong with my 'research', and how they could be fixed. My naive idea of making some useful contribution to the field ended with me explaining why it had crashed and burned.

In the end, the thesis was well received, and I got good marks (apparently everyone else on the course had turned in rather unlikely impeccable research results, confirming current understanding), but it was a salutary lesson for a young would-be scientist - preparation is the most important and most difficult part of the work.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Early in my career I used information found in college textbooks to analyze a machine system that was having vibration problems. I pushed forward to a new design and the first test was a comparison of the old and new designs. I couldn't identify a statistically significant improvement.

While everyone agreed my design change was "directionally correct", even my analysis would have shown the change was not likely to help had I considered the noise floor of the system.

As such, I learned:
* Theory and practice are two different things
* College only teaches you the basics. Most of what you need to be productive is learned on the job.
* Confirmation bias runs rampant in the real world, even among those who are supposedly experienced.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't until I read up in detail about what I'd been measuring, that I discovered that it wasn't just sensitive to noise, it was even more sensitive to alcohol, nicotine, caffiene, exercise, yawning, stress, quality of sleep, and a host of other influences - and I'd been measuring it on students, whose activities (in those days) were organized around all those things, more often than not to excess...

Ah, yes. Ye olde confounding variable.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
taking a massive hit of R-134A to cool off on a hot summer day may sound like a good idea - it is not.

Umm ... how old were you? I've done a lot of stupid things as well. Suffice to say that ending up on an exam table held down by nurses while a doctor cleans your eyeball is sufficient motivation to wear safety glasses.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
At least you didn't claim to have done it: Fleischmann-Pons
Also consider the infamous Andrea Rossi, still persuading the gullible to part with investment funds for his 'e-Cat' fusion reactor (although now updated to a 'QuarkX' device, due to a court case involving being sued by an e-Cat customer), which was supposed to be generating 1 MW by 2011...

Last edited:
Upvote 0