Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was wanting to hear opinions on the stories we read about in OT scripture. Whats your favorite and why? Thank you.
Joseph.... there aren't many better examples of God's mercy than the life of Joseph.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My Top Favorite OT Stories:

1. Job's Story.
2. Joseph's Story.
3. Jonah's Story.
4. The Story of Rahab and the Two Spies.
5. The Story of The Two Spies in Canaan.
6. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego's Story.
7. Samson's Story.
8. The Story of Abraham's Encounter With the Pre-Incarnate Jesus.
9. The Story of Samson's Parents Encounter With the Pre-Incarnate Jesus.
10. The Story of Joshua's Encounter with the Pre-Incarnate Jesus.
11. The Story of Noah and Ham (Because it is a so misunderstood by many, and because it is a story of encouragement to stay sober and be watchful, otherwise bad things can happen to you and or your family) (Note: This is not because I had a problem with alcohol mind you; This is because it grieves me that so many today treat alcohol as if it is some kind of harmless fun loving beverage; Including Christians).
12. Story of Creation (Genesis 1 primarily).

To learn more about the Story of Noah and Ham (on what really happened in that story) I created a thread for that here (if you are interested):
Biblical Metaphors Shed Light on Ham's Sin in Noah's Tent.

I also like the spy stories in the Bible because I grew up with a fascination of the world of spies.

You can check out my thread discussion on "Spies in the Bible" here (if you are interested):

Spies in the Bible.

To learn more about the Pre-Incarnate Appearances of Jesus Christ in the Old Testament, check out this thread here:

Jesus is the Messenger of the Lord in the Old Testament.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I updated my post. I have added twelve stories in all (so far).
Hit refresh on the page, to check it out (if you missed it).

I also included a CF thread link to the Pre-Incarnate appearances of Jesus Christ in the OT, as well.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I wanted to add why I like Genesis 1 as a Story. While it is awesome how God gives us a narrative on how He created everything, I really love the fact that we can see Jesus in Genesis 1. For Jesus is seen in the different days of creation. You can check out my explanation on that one here:

Typifications of Christ in the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I love the story of Esther. God used her to save her people and she bravely stepped up to the plate. Even if she didn't, God could have used someone else but Esther did not play the coward. She didn't get a big head and remembered who she was even though she was lifted up to a high position. She remembered her people and remembered where she came from and decided to stick up for them. If that isn't bravery I don't know what is.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think Joseph would make for a great modern day cinematic film if they did it right. I think the film should point to Jesus in the end.

Granted, I am more excited to see a better Apostle Paul movie, though (even if I have to write the movie script myself). I know that is a New Testament Story, but I really did not like the Apostle Paul movie that came out a few months back starring Jim C. It was all death and gloominess. That is not the picture of the life of Paul I had in mind. His life was about the gospel and that means good news. Paul changed people's lives by the gospel (Jesus). We didn't see that in the film. The message was, "Oh poor me! We are dying."

But Paul says to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well King David and Joseph are my favorites, but to add something to the thread I’ll say Moses.

I think it’s interesting how Moses did not want to be used by God and told God no a few times, but God was persistent and somewhat patient with Moses and look at all God did through him.

I think it shows God’s patience with us and how He can prepare the ackward with little skill to do great things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really enjoy the story of Jacob working 7 years for Rachael and then he woke up and found he had married Leah instead. This whole situation is hilarious and illustrates many cool things. He worked 7 years and they seemed like days to him because of his great love for her. On the day the 7 years was up he did not beat around the bush and went to claim his wife and declared his natural many desire very bluntly. "Then Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in to her.” Men have a strong physical need and Jacob shows here it is a priority for him. Jacob got deceived and it must have been payback for his deception of Isaac. He labored another 7 years for Rachael. This can be a picture of Israel and the church. The LORD came to save the nation of Israel and was rejected and then took the Gentile bride instead of the bride he labored for. He will also at the end of another 7 years receive the intended bride. I see Rachael representing the nation of Israel and Leah the church in this story.

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My favorite story is from the Song of Songs, there is a narrative if you can follow it. I'm convinced it's just a wedding song written by Solomon to honor the wedding of two people in his court.
I have been digging deeper into Song of songs and noticed it's about Christ Our messiah. Even the old tabernacle structure in exodus all reflect Christ. Amazing word of God.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been digging deeper into Song of songs and noticed it's about Christ Our messiah. Even the old tabernacle tales exodus with the detailed parts all reflect Christ. Amazing word of God.
They are ushered into the courts by friends of the court, the daughters of Jerusalem especially. They sit at the kings table, she is reclining against him after dinner, the scene must have been festive. She looks at the daughters of Jerusalem and said, 'do not arouse love before it desires'. She is saying don't let the celebration make you anxious, your time will come. The next morning he came to see her at her mothers garden, talking through the lattice, her brothers say, 'catch for us the foxes that spoil the vines', it was a kind of a proverb for taking care of the details.

It's lovely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was wanting to hear opinions on the stories we read about in OT scripture. Whats your favorite and why? Thank you.
Hi w2l,

There are certainly many old covenant accounts of God working to accomplish His will that I'm hard pressed to be able to say that one is my favorite, but...

I've always liked God's working in the account of the life of Daniel. When his three friends, Hananiah, Azaria and Mishael were convicted of wrongdoing and cast into the fiery furnace, I can just imagine the look of awe and incredulity when they walked out of that furnace without so much as a hair on their heads singed.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi w2l,

There are certainly many old covenant accounts of God working to accomplish His will that I'm hard pressed to be able to say that one is my favorite, but...

I've always liked God's working in the account of the life of Daniel. When his three friends, Hananiah, Azaria and Mishael were convicted of wrongdoing and cast into the fiery furnace, I can just imagine the look of awe and incredulity when they walked out of that furnace without so much as a hair on their heads singed.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
I thought it was Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego?

Upvote 0

Chris Jones

Dec 7, 2018
Santa Fe
✟15,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mine is Joseph. It taught me a lot about forgiveness. And that God sticks by you, even when you can’t see the wider picture or the end of the struggle.

There’s a wonderful children’s animation of it - Joseph King of Dreams that I love to watch with my son.
I love that one too!

Upvote 0