Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And I can confidently say that this verse is wrong. I do not believe god exists no matter what this verse says. The universe existence is not good evidence that a god exists.
And there you have it. . .your word against the Judeo-Christian Scriptures.

We all get to bear the consequences of our choices.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And there you have it. . .your word against the Judeo-Christian Scriptures.

We all get to bear the consequences of our choices.
Not my words, my experience. This verse says I believe God exists, I don't, so the verse is wrong.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟285,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not my words, my experience. This verse says I believe God exists, I don't, so the verse is wrong.
My Bibe states what what may be known about God is plain were it not for the wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness.

It all sounds pretty right to me. . .we all get to bear the consequences of our choices.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And I can confidently say that this verse is wrong. I do not believe god exists no matter what this verse says. The universe existence is not good evidence that a god exists.

I don’t know if God exists or not. I don’t even understand what is meant by God. Everybody seems to imply a different thing when they say God. When analyzed, what’s presented as God could be a hypothesized powerful spirit, a kind of invisible super human being, or could be inexplicable events of nature, or basically nature, or some random events (such as doctors curing cancer or somebody finding employment) or human thoughts or emotions or aspirations about the future etc etc. Such a confused idea… To me, a more interesting question is if our consciousness (soul) continues to live separate from the body postmortem.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟285,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don’t know if God exists or not. I don’t even understand what is meant by God. Everybody seems to imply a different thing when they say God. When analyzed, what’s presented as God could be a hypothesized powerful spirit, a kind of invisible super human being, or could be inexplicable events of nature, or basically nature, or some random events (such as doctors curing cancer or somebody finding employment) or human thoughts or emotions or aspirations about the future etc etc. Such a confused idea… To me, a more interesting question is if our consciousness (soul) continues to live separate from the body postmortem.
What is meant by God is what is found in the Judeo-Christian Scriptures.

Reactions: James_Lai
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My Bibe states what what may be known about God is plain were it not for the wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness.

It all sounds pretty right to me. . .we all get to bear the consequences of our choices.
I don't allow people to tell me things about myself that are not true. I really don't believe god exists no matter what you say and I am not wicked no matter what slanderous things you say about me. I am a person that has done good and bad things. Please don't label me as wicked.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know if God exists or not. I don’t even understand what is meant by God. Everybody seems to imply a different thing when they say God. When analyzed, what’s presented as God could be a hypothesized powerful spirit, a kind of invisible super human being, or could be inexplicable events of nature, or basically nature, or some random events (such as doctors curing cancer or somebody finding employment) or human thoughts or emotions or aspirations about the future etc etc. Such a confused idea…
I agree, that is why I let a person define what god they believe in. Saying I believe in the Christian god does not narrow it down at all.

To me, a more interesting question is if our consciousness (soul) continues to live separate from the body postmortem.
I see no evidence that we have a soul or that our consciousness continues after death. Everything about ourselves is in the brain. We alter the brain we alter our personality and what we think and believe. The brain dies our consciousness dies as well.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I agree, that is why I let a person define what god they believe in. Saying I believe in the Christian god does not narrow it down at all.

Maybe sometimes defining can ruin it, as it’s more with “the Spiritual eyes” or in non-verbal images and feelings. Kind of the right hemisphere vs left hemisphere… The two-faced Janus of the human mind. Similar to music, how can you explain a harmony? Have to experience and enjoy, no other way… “Words fail to describe”

I see no evidence that we have a soul or that our consciousness continues after death. Everything about ourselves is in the brain. We alter the brain we alter our personality and what we think and believe. The brain dies our consciousness dies as well.

The OT says so too. You cease to exist with your last breath. No immortal soul. Maybe it’s so. Of course our mind is the product of the brain, but then it could be a translating device - if you get the brain of a cat then your “soul” is translated at cat level. If you get the brain of a genius, it’s how your “soul” is translated. If that genius’ brain degrades by injury or other aetiology to dementia, then the translation is modified accordingly. Etc. However, the originating “soul” is more than any of its projections. Very primitive approximation of the actual mechanism it could be, or a total fantasy, of course. Probably catching at a straw being scared of death, not accepting finality of life.

There are certain interesting facts, like NDEs or twin telepathy or prophetic dreams etc etc that do happen. Food for thought. Nothing beyond reasonable doubt and everything can be debunked or explained materialistically. So, in no way it’s any proof.

Science digging into the nature of consciousness. Maybe one day there will be a breakthrough. So many things we still don’t understand. Best to remain open-minded in all directions I think - who knows, maybe one day we’ll stumble upon smth interesting, maybe even smth very new as a byproduct of this quest. Otherwise if we say no is no, we might be closing some exciting doors for ourselves.

I don’t buy “spiritual” - maybe there’s smth we don’t understand, but if so, it’s material and it’s physical, just yet undetectable to us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The OT says so too. You cease to exist with your last breath.

There are references to resurrection in the Old Testament, but not many. After Christ came and offered the kingdom to the nation of Israel, the nation failed to received the kingdom and grace was offered for salvation.

Now people did not have to wait for resurrection, they could have eternal life already such that it overlapped with their physical life.

In the Old Testament works were required such that you did not "die in your sins" but die in righteousness. When grace was made available, works were no longer needed.

As far as evidence for a soul goes, consider what humans have that is different from all other animals. That points to that which is not biological.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The OT says so too. You cease to exist with your last breath.

There are references to resurrection in the Old Testament, but not many. After Christ came and offered the kingdom to the nation of Israel, the nation failed to received the kingdom and grace was offered for salvation.

Now people did not have to wait for resurrection, they could have eternal life already such that it overlapped with their physical life.

In the Old Testament works were required such that you did not "die in your sins" but die in righteousness. When grace was made available, works were no longer needed.

As far as evidence for a soul goes, consider what humans have that is different from all other animals. That points to that which is not biological.

Yes, there are resurrections in the OT, but more than 99.9999% of the people did’t make the cut

We have the largest brain per body mass ratio and so our extra abilities can be explained. Speech, for example - we know which gene is responsible and which cortex area controls it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟285,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What’s found there is a variable picture
Indeed. . . from love and mercy to righteousness and justice. . .he's God, remember?

A good man has all the same qualities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟285,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't allow people to tell me things about myself that are not true. I really don't believe god exists no matter what you say and I am not wicked no matter what slanderous things you say about me. I am a person that has done good and bad things. Please don't label me as wicked.
The Bible states what what may be known about God is plain were it not for the wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness (Romans 1:18-21).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟285,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe sometimes defining can ruin it, as it’s more with “the Spiritual eyes” or in non-verbal images and feelings. Kind of the right hemisphere vs left hemisphere… The two-faced Janus of the human mind. Similar to music, how can you explain a harmony? Have to experience and enjoy, no other way… “Words fail to describe”

The OT says so too. You cease to exist with your last breath. No immortal soul. Maybe it’s so. Of course our mind is the product of the brain, but then it could be a translating device - if you get the brain of a cat then your “soul” is translated at cat level. If you get the brain of a genius, it’s how your “soul” is translated. If that genius’ brain degrades by injury or other aetiology to dementia, then the translation is modified accordingly. Etc. However, the originating “soul” is more than any of its projections. Very primitive approximation of the actual mechanism it could be, or a total fantasy, of course. Probably catching at a straw being scared of death, not accepting finality of life.

There are certain interesting facts, like NDEs or twin telepathy or prophetic dreams etc etc that do happen. Food for thought. Nothing beyond reasonable doubt and everything can be debunked or explained materialistically. So, in no way it’s any proof.

Science digging into the nature of consciousness. Maybe one day there will be a breakthrough. So many things we still don’t understand. Best to remain open-minded in all directions - who knows, maybe one day we’ll stumble upon smth interesting, maybe even smth very new as a byproduct of this quest. Otherwise if we say no is no, we might be closing some exciting doors for ourselves.
I don’t buy “spiritual” - maybe there’s smth we don’t understand, but if so, it’s material and it’s physical, just yet undetectable to us.
Unless the Judeo-Christian Scriptures are true. . .

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
When considering the difference between animals and humans consider where reside compassion, bitterness, ambition, or love. It may not be "scientific" to think that a slightly larger brain (relative to body mass, as if that has relevance) produces a neurophysiology that adds these qualities to human existence.

Attempting to shoehorn in all of the human experience as just biological phenomena seems just as tidy as many in religious circles attempting to wrap up inconsistencies in their own doctrinal packages. A seeker of truth would not be satisfied with either.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible states what what may be known about God is plain were it not for the wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness (Romans 1:18-21).
I agree the bible says this. This is just proof that this verse is not true. I am not wicked and I do not believe in God. I believe you when you say you do believe in God, you believe a book over what I say.

People are not good or bad, people do good and bad things. Please don't call me wicked, I do good and bad things, wicked is not who I am.

Upvote 0