Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello! I was raised a young earth creationist and I agree with them that the world was created in six literal days and that there was a global flood.

However, I don't think the earth is only 6000- 10000 years old. It can be, but I also do not see why it cannot be older.

I am convinced of an old universe. The reason for this is that if I were to a young earther and view Genesis 1:1 as a summary, it would contradict ex nihilo creation since the earth was already around in verse 2. It was void and without form.

So if a young earther really believes in an ex nihilo creation, then how do you explain the earth existing in at the start of verse 2 if verse 1 is a summary?

Reactions: SkyWriting

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Hello! I was raised a young earth creationist and I agree with them that the world was created in six literal days and that there was a global flood.

That's your problem. You agree with ancient men who theorized that God made the world in 6 literal, 24 hour Days. What you don't know is that we are STILL living at the end of the present 6th Day. It's because Gen 1:28-31 is prophecy of events which will NOT happen until AFTER Jesus returns at the end of the present 6th Day. ALSO, our Earth is not the Earth which was destroyed in the flood. That was Adam's world.

*** However, I don't think the earth is only 6000- 10000 years old. It can be, but I also do not see why it cannot be older.

Our planet is some 4.6 Billion years old, in man's time. Jesus caused the Big Bang some 13.8 Billion years ago, in man's time, but in God's time, it was the 3rd Day. Gen 2:4 God has only 6 Days (Yowm-periods of work) before His creation is brought to perfection or finished. When God is finished His Creation WILL BE brought to perfection and then God will rest or Cease Creating for Heaven will be perfect and filled with it's entire host. Gen 2:1

*** I am convinced of an old universe. The reason for this is that if I were to a young earther and view Genesis 1:1 as a summary, it would contradict ex nihilo creation since the earth was already around in verse 2. It was void and without form.

In the beginning of God's creation of the perfect 3rd Heaven, He created or changed some of the Energy He lives in, into physical matter. 1Ti 6:16 He created the heaven or air and the ground, which without form is called dust. Everything else came from these 2 creations. Water came from the gases in the air, making a perfect trio for Jesus to mold into shape whatever physical forms He wished. Everything which exists contains air, dust, and water. Jesus adds the life and physical creations come alive.

***So if a young earther really believes in an ex nihilo creation, then how do you explain the earth existing in at the start of verse 2 if verse 1 is a summary?

It's not. The earth/ground without form is dust waiting for the Potter to mold the clay. Without Him was not anything made which was made. Jesus is Lord. God Bless you

BTW, the YEC are correct since we remain in the 6th Day since God is STILL creating Adam (mankind) Gen 1:27 in His Image or in Christ Spiritually, today. Just ask ANY Bible believing Christian. IOW, the first Day of Creation was less than 6 of God's Days/Ages ago. I find it amazing that YEC have been correct all along, by Faith.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
USA
✟7,749.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
So if a young earther really believes in an ex nihilo creation, then how do you explain the earth existing in at the start of verse 2 if verse 1 is a summary

On the first day God created the earth out of nothing (ex nihilio) in a void and formeless state and later gave it form. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
On the first day God created the earth out of nothing (ex nihilio) in a void and formeless state and later gave it form. Hope that helps!

OK now the only place left to go is the "Gap theory". It is fascinating for sure and I really tend to lead towards that theory as a solid explanation for said question and also the deep fossils that we find.
I started a thread about just that and the vast response was something like "whattchacrazyorsomethin?"
I mean you DO have to write things in that are just not IN the bible, so right there you just lost like 95% of your interested audience.
Have fun in the search tho!

-Shemp

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

However, I don't think the earth is only 6000- 10000 years old. It can be, but I also do not see why it cannot be older.

I am convinced of an old universe. The reason for this is that if I were to a young earther and view Genesis 1:1 as a summary, it would contradict ex nihilo creation since the earth was already around in verse 2. It was void and without form.

So if a young earther really believes in an ex nihilo creation, then how do you explain the earth existing in at the start of verse 2 if verse 1 is a summary?

Time, as we know it, did not begin until the Fall of man. Before that the earth
and Adam were eternal...which would be so, if time did not exist.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OK now the only place left to go is the "Gap theory". It is fascinating for sure and I really tend to lead towards that theory as a solid explanation for said question and also the deep fossils that we find.
I started a thread about just that and the vast response was something like "whattchacrazyorsomethin?"
I mean you DO have to write things in that are just not IN the bible, so right there you just lost like 95% of your interested audience.
Have fun in the search tho!

-Shemp

True. You have to fill in some sketchy narratives with reasonable assumptions. No crime there.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Scripture doesn't leave much room for it.
Every day in Genesis 1 is a summary.
Otherwise it would take numerous pages. :)

Look at it this way, which is consistent the proper translation:
In the beginning (this is where time starts) God created space (the quantum matrix) and a lump of clay.
Now the lump of clay was (still) without form and void.

No gap.

Obviously the first day begins when time starts.

I'll see if i have some video to watch with to show the case for a young universe.
There are things that can not be explained in an old universe scenario.
Things that are usually ignored by the mainstream.

For example, the twist in galaxies, the arms.
They all seem to look equally old, even if they're extremely remote.

None the less, i may be a YEC (actually an EC who sees posibility for it to be Y :) ) but i agree the universe seems old, because of the humongous distances and the speed of light.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Scripture doesn't leave much room for it.Every day in Genesis 1 is a summary.
Otherwise it would take numerous pages. :)

Amen. Genesis chapter one is the entire History of God's 6 Days of Creation of the perfect 3rd Heaven...including events which are FUTURE at the end of the present 6th Day. Only God could see and correctly tell us our FUTURE thousands of years ago. Gen 1:28-31 tells of events which will happen AFTER Jesus returns to this Earth.

*** Look at it this way, which is consistent the proper translation:
In the beginning (this is where time starts) God created space (the quantum matrix) and a lump of clay.
Now the lump of clay was (still) without form and void.

The earth (ground) was without form and empty because it had not yet been shaped into anything. There was no space, just air, dust, and water, the ingredients Jesus uses to form everything Physical.

*** No gap.

Amen. Gap theory cannot be supported Scripturally.

*** Obviously the first day begins when time starts.

I'll see if i have some video to watch with to show the case for a young universe.
There are things that can not be explained in an old universe scenario.
Things that are usually ignored by the mainstream.

Really? What?

*** For example, the twist in galaxies, the arms.
They all seem to look equally old, even if they're extremely remote.

None the less, i may be a YEC (actually an EC who sees posibility for it to be Y :) ) but i agree the universe seems old, because of the humongous distances and the speed of light.

The Big Bang of our Cosmos was on the 3rd Day. Gen 2:4 The first Stars of our Cosmos lit up on the 4th Day Gen 1:16 which WMAP just dated as much as a Billion years AFTER the BB. Scripture AGREES and shows that it was late on the 3rd Day when the BB happened and since it was only a Billion years and EACH of God's Days/Ages is many Billions of years in length, it was late on the 3rd Yowm (Period of time).

Jesus inflated our Cosmos by changing the air and dust into ENERGY which cooled and produced our Universe AFTER He made Adam of the dust of the ground. Gen 2:4-7

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Or not.
Time causes decay and death.... which did not begin till Adam left the Garden.

Hieronymus said "*** Obviously the first day begins when time starts.***

This is correct since the first Day (period of Labor) began when God made the air, dust and water in the beginning and saw that there was "darkness" or Death upon everything God had created APART from Himself. Gen 1:2 ANYthing apart from God is subject to darkness or Death.

Mar 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou Me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Being apart from God is to be lost and subject to Death. That is WHY people MUST be born again Spiritually, in Christ. Amen?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums