You will NEVER see a bird land on an energized transmission line 69KV or greater

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My friends and I have always wondered why this is... Why we've never seen a bird accidentally get even close to one, and now I think I may know why... Because they can actually "see" the magnetic field that surrounds the wires, and they're afraid of it.

We Finally Know How Birds Can See Earth's Magnetic Field

Last edited:

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The article mentions nothing about any transmission lines.

Because the article is not the main topic of this thread. It's only supporting, side-evidence.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because the article is not the main topic of this thread. It's only supporting, side-evidence.

How is it "only supporting, side-evidence"? You're talking about an "energized transmission line" > 69KV, yet there is no mention of it in the article (or anywhere else).

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My friends and I have always wondered why this is... Why we've never seen a bird accidentally get even close to one, and now I think I may know why... Because they can actually "see" the magnetic field that surrounds the wires, and they're afraid of it.

Interesting. I thought the arc of the high powered lines would kill even a non-grounded bird. When they work on those lines from a helicopter, they use a rod to help them become part of the current. I don't know enough about it, but I know they can't just reach out and grab it, despite not being grounded.

So, you're saying birds can see the energy, I guess, going through the lines and stay clear on that account?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. I thought the arc of the high powered lines would kill even a non-grounded bird. When they work on those lines from a helicopter, they use a rod to help them become part of the current. I don't know enough about it, but I know they can't just reach out and grab it, despite not being grounded.

So, you're saying birds can see the energy, I guess, going through the lines and stay clear on that account?

This is what I was talking about. This is so cool.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes its the difference in voltage between two points of contact, not the voltage in and of itself that causes the problem. Along those 14,400 V power lines, the voltage between the feet of a bird is solved by ohms law, where V = I*R. Those wires are large diameter to avoid very much resistance, usually measured in microohms or milliohms, so despite running amps of current, the bird's two feet sit on nearly the exact same potential voltage, like the guy in the photo above, but if the bird crosses two wires with its wings, the phase difference between the power lines will not only kill but likely explode the bird in a ball of fire, because with that phasing the voltage can get to 14,400 V or more. Never mess around with such because you can inadvertantly ground yourself and then all that current, like the bird, will travel through you and do like the bird and electrocute you. Stay with DC power like 1.5V batteries.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
wire stringing. maintenance crazy job for sure.

Lol, great minds think alike. We thought alike, so we're great!

(Actually, that's a fallacy: affirming the consequent)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

i think the clip has to do with the helicopter alternator generating power, positive and negative. i'm not a electrician but know enough its not friendly to touch lol.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol, great minds think alike. We thought alike, so we're great!

(Actually, that's a fallacy: affirming the consequent)

its a fallacy affirming,, not sure what you mean?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
its a fallacy affirming,, not sure what you mean?

Sorry, it's not related. I meant my statement about us being great because we thought alike is a fallacy. Ignore me, lol.

• Friendly
Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes its the difference in voltage between two points of contact, not the voltage in and of itself that causes the problem. Along those 14,400 V power lines, the voltage between the feet of a bird is solved by ohms law, where V = I*R. Those wires are large diameter to avoid very much resistance, usually measured in microohms or milliohms, so despite running amps of current, the bird's two feet sit on nearly the exact same potential voltage, like the guy in the photo above, but if the bird crosses two wires with its wings, the phase difference between the power lines will not only kill but likely explode the bird in a ball of fire, because with that phasing the voltage can get to 14,400 V or more. Never mess around with such because you can inadvertantly ground yourself and then all that current, like the bird, will travel through you and do like the bird and electrocute you. Stay with DC power like 1.5V batteries.

is the clip because of the generator on the helo? im curious about that one

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, it's not related. I meant my statement about us being great because we thought alike is a fallacy. Ignore me, lol.

i'm slow sometimes i got it now lol

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Magnetic flux is proportional to the current flowing in the cables, so there will actually be a much weaker magnetic field around KV transmission cables than the local domestic supply cables. The whole reason the voltage is so high on the transmission cables is so the current will be the minimum possible for the same amount of power (P=VI). Power loss due to the resistance of the cables is (I-squared x R) so they keep the current low by making the voltage extremely high.

I think birds avoid the cables because they are sensitive to the arcs they would experience just prior to making contact with the cables.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is what I was talking about. This is so cool.

Funny you mention that, that's actually what I do for a living. :)

I do spacer-buggies and helicopters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,142.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

Hmm .. credible .. although not all birds migrate (ie: fly great distances)? Also, birds make mistakes .. like flying into wind turbines!

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think birds avoid the cables because they are sensitive to the arcs they would experience just prior to making contact with the cables.

...That's what I used to think, until I realized birds shouldn't be able to tell the difference between distribution and transmission voltages. And we see them on distribution lines all the time.

They know somehow...

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
wire stringing. maintenance crazy job for sure.

That's called "barehanding". It requires a special certification, and you have to wear a full-body metal mesh suit to do it.

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0