✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you already said that, my bruthuh!

haha, thanks, I only personally typed it once and it was not back to back like the typical double post, so I dunno how that happened, but consider it fixed.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At your niece's birthday someone says "Ok, let's wish her a happy birthday!" and there's a jarring moment where you're singing "God grant you many years!" while everyone else begins "Happy birthday to you..."

The biggest disagreements in your marriage have been over theologoumena

(...and Star Trek)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The one that likes Trek is awesome, the one who doesn't can go suck a bug.... There, Gurney solved that problem! :p^_^

At your niece's birthday someone says "Ok, let's wish her a happy birthday!" and there's a jarring moment where you're singing "God grant you many years!" while everyone else begins "Happy birthday to you..."

The biggest disagreements in your marriage have been over theologoumena

(...and Star Trek)

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I refuse to suck a bug. Both because TNG might be winning me over, and because I refuse to be told to eat meat by a vegetarian.

The President of the Parish Council and I have an agreement where I will watch TNG if he watches Doctor Who. Plus my wife got me to promise that I'd watch an episode of TNG every time I swear. I'd be done if people in this town weren't such bad drivers.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like TNG also, but the only downer about the series is its atheist overtones....

I'm a big fan though. I have autographs from some of the cast of course....

The Original Series was vastly superior to TNG

I refuse to suck a bug. Both because TNG might be winning me over, and because I refuse to be told to eat meat by a vegetarian.

The President of the Parish Council and I have an agreement where I will watch TNG if he watches Doctor Who. Plus my wife got me to promise that I'd watch an episode of TNG every time I swear. I'd be done if people in this town weren't such bad drivers.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know you're Orthodox if....

you consider the Pope's outfit way too Protestant

haha, when Pope Benedict XVI wore that more traditional omophorion-looking stole thingie that popes can wear, my Godfather looked at how thing it was and quickly commented on "how wimpy" it looked. I could not help but smirk a little

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis wears stuff that is less fancier than anything I've ever seen in my life. He dresses like Ghandi

haha, when Pope Benedict XVI wore that more traditional omophorion-looking stole thingie that popes can wear, my Godfather looked at how thing it was and quickly commented on "how wimpy" it looked. I could not help but smirk a little

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
and we never begin with beginning prayers, we begin with our pre-beginning prayers
They do that in many parts of the Black Church as well (where pre-prayer time becomes the sermon in prep for another sermon) - in addition to the pastor saying either "As we come to a close" or "For the Church Announcements" always being taken as an indication for 30-40 more minutes of speaking occurring :D

But on the issue, you might be Orthodox if you define "contemporary" or "current events" by what happened in the first 7 centuries of the Church

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You can seriously say "Hey, Vladimir called and he wanted to know if we wanted to go get coffee with him and Panteleimon at that new place Seraphim is working at. I think Theodora and Athanasius will be there too."

Parthenios is bringing the coffee cake with Melchisedek. I heard Nektary is coming as well

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know you're Orthodox if....

Tom Hanks, Mila Kunis, and Troy Palamalo are the only Orthodox celebrities you can think of!

Also Jennifer Aniston and Tina Fey

You've ever had to tell your mom that some of her favorite celebrities are Orthodox so she doesn't think you're joining some weird new cult.

It didn't help, and considering Hollywood's history with cults you understand.

She eventually comes around.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just told my mom, "the Orthodox are kind of like Catholics used to be before they got muffed up" LOL....I kept it really simple! ^_^:p

You've ever had to tell your mom that some of her favorite celebrities are Orthodox so she doesn't think you're joining some weird new cult.

Upvote 0

lawndartboy

Jan 5, 2011
✟9,416.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Bob Marley apparently slipped in at the last minuite!

Upvote 0