ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟256,056.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Words have meanings. That’s why there are dictionaries. Tell an English professor it’s childish and idiotic that someone can define any words they want it to be and see what their response is.
Dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. It’s nonsensical to say that because a dictionary defines a word, that description is law, unable to be changed.

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟256,056.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
When words change meaning organically over time, that's fine. When words are astroturfed for political purposes, that's not fine. Suggessted reading: George Orwell's Politics And The English Language.
Who’s the arbiter of what “organically” means in this case? For me, the change to the meaning of “gender” seems very organic.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟100,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When words change meaning organically over time, that's fine. When words are astroturfed for political purposes, that's not fine. Suggessted reading: George Orwell's Politics And The English Language.
Words change meaning through usage. Whether that usage comes organically, or from intent for one reason or another (politics is just one possibility, there can be others), doesn't matter. If a word or phrase continues to be used in that new way, language adapts. If not, it doesn't.

Individuals can adapt with it, or not. Language will continue either way.

-- A2SG, even if the individuals don't survive to see it....

Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟875,556.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Who’s the arbiter of what “organically” means in this case? For me, the change to the meaning of “gender” seems very organic.
The arbiter is "the people". It's very democratic, as opposed to fascistic, where a small group forces everyone else to accept their meaning.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟875,556.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Words change meaning through usage. Whether that usage comes organically, or from intent for one reason or another (politics is just one possibility, there can be others), doesn't matter.
It does matter.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟100,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Absolutely! Gender roles are social constructs. Not gender itself.
Gender has come to be defined as the aspect of an individual's identity which determines which gender roles they feel best defines them.

This is what differentiates gender from one's sex, which describes one's biology.

You're free to use these terms interchangeably if you want, but others choose to use them this way. Time will tell which usage sticks.

-- A2SG, some people still say they're "dialing" a number on their phone, even though phones don't have dials any more....

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟256,056.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The arbiter is "the people". It's very democratic, as opposed to fascistic, where a small group forces everyone else to accept their meaning.
The change to the word ‘gender’ comes from ‘the people’. No one ‘forces’ people to use language in certain ways. It will just become the case that the people who are unwilling to adapt are unable to communicate with the people that can. That’s how language works.

This paranoia about language is silly.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟100,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It does matter.
It might matter to you, but it doesn't matter to the language. Usage determines how language adapts, not how the usage originated.

-- A2SG, as time passes, no one will remember why a word changed meaning anyway.....

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Gender has come to be defined as the aspect of an individual's identity which determines which gender roles they feel best defines them.

This is what differentiates gender from one's sex, which describes one's biology.

You're free to use these terms interchangeably if you want, but others choose to use them this way. Time will tell which usage sticks.

-- A2SG, some people still say they're "dialing" a number on their phone, even though phones don't have dials any more....
It doesn’t matter what one’s identity is. Feelings come and go. They are not permanent. Using the same logic can I identify as Asian if I’m actually white or vice versa? This trans identity makes no sense. A man who identifies with woman’s roles is still a man. Nothing will change that.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. It’s nonsensical to say that because a dictionary defines a word, that description is law, unable to be changed.
Saying a male is actually a woman is a political ideology. Not everyone accepts it. It’s not universal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It really isn't.

It really is.

An anecdote isn't considered evidence for a broader issue, but it can be evidence for that one, singular instance.

No...it's not.

Me saying I'm hungry is evidence that I, personally and individually, am hungry. It isn't evidence for any broader case of hunger beyond me.

Independently verifiable. We could see if there's any food in your stomach, amongst other things.

This makes your example here further than my priest example.

I just deleted the rest since it's all just you repeating bad arguments.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟256,056.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Saying a male is actually a woman is a political ideology. Not everyone accepts it. It’s not universal.
That, in no way, addressed the post you were replying to. As a refresher, it was about dictionaries.

And it doesn’t matter if you accept it or not. If the word ‘gender’ continues to have the meaning it’s trending towards, then by all means, stand on top of your house and exclaim to the heavens that you’re not going to accept it.

I’m sure you’ll be judged accordingly…

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That, in no way, addressed the post you were replying to. As a refresher, it was about dictionaries.

And it doesn’t matter if you accept it or not. If the word ‘gender’ continues to have the meaning it’s trending towards, then by all means, stand on top of your house and exclaim to the heavens that you’re not going to accept it.

I’m sure you’ll be judged accordingly…
No, that term “gender” you are referring to is mostly political. Politics do not define words.

Gender, eh?

A man can become a woman? Does he have Fallopian tubes? Does he have a uterus? Does he have ovaries? Can he menstruate? Can he birth children? Does he have any female sexual characteristics and most importantly is he xx chromosome?

If the answer is no to all of the above, he is NOT a woman. He’s delusional if he thinks he is.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The change to the word ‘gender’ comes from ‘the people’. No one ‘forces’ people to use language in certain ways. It will just become the case that the people who are unwilling to adapt are unable to communicate with the people that can. That’s how language works.

This paranoia about language is silly.
There is no paranoia. It’s reality.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If they are then their ideology can’t be taught legally in public schools

*Religion* can't be taught in school, ideology can and has been many times. There is no separation of state from political ideology as there is with religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
*Religion* can't be taught in school, ideology can and has been many times. There is no separation of state from political ideology as there is with religion.
….what if parents aren’t comfortable with it and complain? There’s always a slippery slope

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟256,056.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No, that term “gender” you are referring to is mostly political. Politics do not define words.

Gender, eh?

A man can become a woman? Does he have Fallopian tubes? Does he have a uterus? Does he have ovaries? Can he menstruate? Can he birth children? Does he have any female sexual characteristics and most importantly is he xx chromosome?

If the answer is no to all of the above, he is NOT a woman. He’s delusional if he thinks he is.
Funny, you’re STILL not posting anything to do with dictionaries…

Let me help you out. The current trending definition of ‘gender’ allows someone to change their gender. And guess what! That definition is appearing in dictionaries:

1. the male sex or the female sex, especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones, or one of a range of other identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.
"the singer has opted to keep the names and genders of her twins private"

That’s from Oxford Languages.

So, according to that favorite of Republican sayings…

Facts don’t care about your feelings…

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟145,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it is a protected faith, it is a religion. It’s actually not a religion but the poster was arguing it should have the same protections
”But faiths are expressly covered in the Constitution/Bill of Rights, believers are protected from overreach by government. You are arguing that transfolk aren’t so covered.”
if they are then it’s a religion

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, you really seem to be paranoid about this.
I’m not. I just want women protected and have their own private spaces free from men. I stand with women against the trans identity.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.