Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Acts 2 They heard the works of God in their own language and i would guess that would have included The Messiah's name,title in their own language.

As they were all Jewish men and they would have understood 'Moshiach' or Messiah.

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well yeah, the new testament was in greek, but the authors primary language was still hebrew and aramaic. Jesus was no doubt raised speaking primarily hebrew and aramaic - as He was Jewish, and hebrew is the language of the Israelites (jews included). Therefore His name was in hebrew and aramaic before it ever was in greek. That's not an obsession, it's just how it is.
Yet none of the authors bother calling him by Yeshua but Iesous.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I will clarify a name I prefer to call my Lord whom most of you know as Jesus Christ. I call Him Yeshua and know Him as my Messiah. The reason for calling Him by His Hebrew name is because of the abuse and misuse that the English name Jesus Christ has received. It is like curse words out of many people’s mouths today and I want this not to happen in your mind when you read this thread.

I know that Yeshua is one the Hebrew pronounciations of His name and most likely what He was called His whole life. So please do not let it trip you up as you read Yeshua in the place of the English name Jesus Christ. That is one thing I do not want your mind to battle over.

GOD wants people saved from all over the world. It was HE who scattered the nations and thus invented different languages. He hears us on the ground of faith in His Son, transliteration is irrelevant.

Personally I think using the Hebrew "Yeshua" just sounds pretentious in the lips of an English speaking believer. It never seems to stop there, either. Careful that you don’t fall for the many aberrant doctrines of the sacred name/Hebrew roots movement.

I have no romance for Israel's things because GOD set them aside. Eventually He will set the Gentiles aside and resume with Israel. When GOD shuts a door, no one can open it. When He opens a door no one can shut it. Use the door He has opened now...

14For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, 16and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.—Ephesians 2

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Greetings LuLav. His name, that word, is not a magic word that needs to be said in order for God to hear. In a world where some Messianics and many Hebrew Rooted non-Jews run around calling a lot of things pagan, the idea that we would have to say a certain word in order to trigger a response from YHWH is a pagan idea.

By the authority of Yeshua HaMaschiach of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. (11) This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. (12) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other authority under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

In Hebrew, name equals authority. So, either we have to say a magic word, or we have to allow that "name" can have more than one meaning.

I do hope you are not including me in that first paragraph. I stated no connection to 'magic' or 'majic' of any kind. However certain spoken words do carry meaning. I'll give some more examples.

11 And as the lame man which was healed held Peter and John, all the people ran together unto them in the porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondering.
12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.​

If his name isn't important then Peter must have been preaching falsely in the temple?

Matthew…20 But after he had pondered these things, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to embrace Mary as your wife, for the One conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.
21 She will give birth to a Son, and you shall give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.”​

Paul to the Corinthians:
1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus (Messiah Yeshua) by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours​

Acts 16 - Paul uses the Name to cast out demons and they obey

17 This girl followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who are proclaiming to you the way of salvation.”
18 She continued this for many days. Eventually Paul grew so aggravated that he turned and said to the spirit, “In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!” And the spirit left her at that very moment.​

Even the Sanhedrin recognized the name and power it had.

1 And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them, 2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead. 3 And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide. 4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

5 And it came to pass on the morrow, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes, 6 And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem. 7 And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?
8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, 9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Peter and John Threatened, Released

13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. 14 And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it. 15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves, 16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.
17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.
18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's not a name in any language. The Hebrew forms are יְהוֹשֻׁעַ and יֵשׁוּעַ (Yehoshua and Yeshua respectively). "Yahshua" is incorrect, in יְהוֹשֻׁעַ the yod is marked with a shvah, the niqqud which indicates the vowel /e/, while in יֵשׁוּעַ the niqqud of the yod is tsere, again pointing to the vowel /e/. So "ya" isn't possible, in both forms it must be "ye". Further, the hah in יְהוֹשֻׁעַ is followed by a vav marked with cholam, rendering the vav as a quasi-vowel, /o/, as such it by necessity is "yeho". "Yahshua" is simply not possible.

-CryptoLutheran

Yeshua is fine.

• Agree
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is this the sacred name movement?
The recent (so-called) "sacred name movement" prefers the spelling/pronunciation "Yahshua" with "Yah" being a shortened version of Yahweh (YHWH). For example the Hebraic Roots Bible (c) 2009, 2012, 2015, uses the spelling "Yahshua" with this introduction ... "Here for the very first time is a literal translation of the scriptures with the sacred name of Yahweh and Yahshua, restored and preserved." Christians have a renewed interested in the Hebrew/Jewish roots of Christianity as the Nation State of Israel prospers once again as God's chosen people. Messianc Christian Jews (and Messianic non-Jews) prefer Yeshua to Jesus ...

During the life of "Yeshua" there were other Hebrew boy's having this name (Joshua/Yeshua) with the same meaning. Today there are Hispanic boys given the birth name Jesús and Manuel. Christians in the 15th century popularized the birth name of "Christopher" having a metaphorical meaning that they carried Christ in their hearts (e.g. Christopher Columbus).

Isaiah 7:14 (also Matthew 1:23)
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel (which means "God with us.").
John 20:28
Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
Revelation 19:12
His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many diadems; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself.
Revelation 19:16

And He has a name written on His robe and on His thigh: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

s-l500.jpg

The Rose of Sharon is a flowering bush or shrub known for its large blooms. It can be pruned into the shape of a tree. The most popular colors of Rose of Sharon are shades of pink, white and blue. This shrub can grow up to 12 feet tall and 10 feet wide.

In the Bible, the Rose of Sharon symbolizes beauty, and it is used in the book of Song of Solomon to describe the beauty of King Solomon's lover. Jesus Christ is called the Rose of Sharon in Christian works because of the similarities between the flowering plant and Christ.​

Proverbs 30:4

Who has ascended to heaven and come down? Who has gathered the wind in His hands? Who has bound up the waters in His cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name, and what is the name of His Son--surely you know!

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's not a name in any language. The Hebrew forms are יְהוֹשֻׁעַ and יֵשׁוּעַ (Yehoshua and Yeshua respectively). "Yahshua" is incorrect, in יְהוֹשֻׁעַ the yod is marked with a shvah, the niqqud which indicates the vowel /e/, while in יֵשׁוּעַ the niqqud of the yod is tsere, again pointing to the vowel /e/. So "ya" isn't possible, in both forms it must be "ye". Further, the hah in יְהוֹשֻׁעַ is followed by a vav marked with cholam, rendering the vav as a quasi-vowel, /o/, as such it by necessity is "yeho". "Yahshua" is simply not possible.

-CryptoLutheran

Yahshua is fine as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The name of our Lord means "YHWH is Salvation", and that is why the name is important. Despite our need to demonstrate our faith by good works, we are saved by YHWH, through our faith in Jesus/Jeshua/Joshua/Jahshua/Yehoshua/Iesus/etc. We are saved by grace through faith in His finished work at the cross. YHWH is our salvation, not our good works. That is why His name is important, whatever language you speak.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
GOD wants people saved from all over the world. It was HE who scattered the nations and thus invented different languages. He hears us on the ground of faith in His Son, transliteration is irrelevant.

Personally I think using the Hebrew "Yeshua" just sounds pretentious in the lips of an English speaking believer. It never seems to stop there, either. Careful that you don’t fall for the many aberrant doctrines of the sacred name/Hebrew roots movement.

I have no romance for Israel's things because GOD set them aside. Eventually He will set the Gentiles aside and resume with Israel. When GOD shuts a door, no one can open it. When He opens a door no one can shut it. Use the door He has opened now...

14For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, 16and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.—Ephesians 2
What is your signal that he has set the Gentiles aside?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Also interesting:

QUICK DISCLAIMER:

I only present these videos as interesting in support of the Name "Yahshua". I do not necessarily agree nor condone the author's views when they say, "by the false name Jesus".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not getting an answer to my question. That is OK. I will stick with what our Lord and Savior said to do. Direct all our supplications to the FATHER.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
After this manner therefore pray ye:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As they were all Jewish men and they would have understood 'Moshiach' or Messiah.

For a good ole ms redneck who has enough trouble with English. I will leave the finer language studies to those who have that language gift. For learning and studying the finer point of the art of languages of The Bible.

I do have the Complete Jewish Bible and there are the many Jewish names use in that book. But i have no idea how these names are correctly pronounced.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Jewish-Bible-Testament-Hadashah/dp/9653590189

• Agree
Reactions: Greengardener
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Not getting an answer to my question. That is OK. I will stick with what our Lord and Savior said to do. Direct all our supplications to the FATHER.

Your question about the "Sacred Name" movement? I am personally not a part of it...you probably know more about it than I do and I'm pretty sure that the OP is not either. I have read and watched various material that has made me comfortable with using "Yahshua" as the Name of Messiah. I don't insist that others use this name though, which is what I understand sacred namers do.

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not getting an answer to my question.
It is "Yahshua" (not Yeshua) that is the spelling/pronunciation of the 20th century "Sacred Name Movement" with its beginnings going back to the Church of God (Seventh Day) in the 1930s. Today, those that prefer "Yahshua" to "Yeshua" are not associated with any particular denomination or sect other than the recent Hebrew Roots (back to the Torah) movement within Christianity.

Perhaps, one's preference for "Yahshua" is a way of signifying their firm belief that Israel's Messiah is the physical manifestation of God (Yah) Incarnate. On the other hand those that say "Yahshua" is a modern day invention contend that there is no Hebrew word spelling in the entire Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) that can be transliterated from Hebrew into English with the spelling of "Yahshua". However, in that Yeshua means "God Saves ~ God's Salvation" then it seems reasonable to consider Yahshua as a possible pronunciation of God's Son.

No one knows whether Mary and Joseph pronounced His Hebrew name as "Yeshua", "Yahshua", or another pronunciation that might have a slightly different English phonetic spelling. No one knows the exact "Hebrew" pronunciation by the Angel of the Lord that told Joseph to name their son Yeshua/Yahshua (not Jesus).

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Either way. He saves." ... I dont know why but.. that just SHINED for me.. really blessed me sis.. thank you Father..

Over time I hear ALL kinds of stories. So many I take with a grain of Salt. But when a Muslim that never heard of Christ.. and this LIGHT with holes in His hands and feet.. says "I am Jesus". and that Muslim that killed people over and over..gets saved. As one brother said one time "the power is in the one that name belongs to"

One vine.. many branches. Yet Yeshua is His name.. praise GOD...

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps, one's preference for "Yahshua" is a way of signifying their firm belief that Israel's Messiah is the physical manifestation of God (Yah) Incarnate

This is exactly why I like "Yahshua"...it gives me better understanding of Who we are talking about.

Upvote 0