visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
I will clarify a name I prefer to call my Lord whom most of you know as Jesus Christ. I call Him Yeshua and know Him as my Messiah. The reason for calling Him by His Hebrew name is because of the abuse and misuse that the English name Jesus Christ has received. It is like curse words out of many people’s mouths today and I want this not to happen in your mind when you read this thread.

I know that Yeshua is one the Hebrew pronounciations of His name and most likely what He was called His whole life. So please do not let it trip you up as you read Yeshua in the place of the English name Jesus Christ. That is one thing I do not want your mind to battle over.

Last edited:

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will clarify a name I prefer to call my Lord whom most of you know as Jesus Christ. I call Him Yeshua and know Him as my Messiah. The reason for calling Him by His Hebrew name is because of the abuse and misuse that the English name Jesus Christ has received. It is like curse words out of many people’s mouths today and I want this not to happen in your mind when you read this thread.

I know that Yeshua is one the Hebrew pronounciations of His name and most likely
what He was called His whole life. So please do not let it trip you up as you read
Yeshua in the place of the English name Jesus Christ. That is one thing I do not want
your mind to battle over.
I do agree with Gracia.... he will save regardless. But Jesus (again, though I have no issue at all with anyone using this name) was transliterated when the J sounded like a Y in our language. So to an English speaker back about 200+ years, it was spelled Jesus, but it sounded like a Y at the beginning of of the word. It took on the French influence in the early 1800's and then began to sound as it does now. Yeshua or even Yehoshua, the first being Aramaic, the second being Hebrew, is what he would have heard.

• Informative
Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does it make you feel more holy than others by calling him Yeshua instead of Jesus?
No... it is the name he was known by. It's that simple... he will answer to Jesus, he will answer to "Bob" if the heart is pure... but his name is Yeshua, that isn't arguable.

Upvote 0

Josh Carver

Jun 15, 2019
Tempe
✟692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No... it is the name he was known by. It's that simple... he will answer to Jesus, he will answer to "Bob" if the heart is pure... but his name is Yeshua, that isn't arguable.

But Jesus is the Greek translation. So Yeshua and Jesus are the same name. There is no difference.

Also, btw I was addressing the OP.

• Agree
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bob??

,Bob, does not mean Yhvh saves. Names have meaning attached,and it states so in the bible. Also the name was given by the angel, and specifically because he would save his ppl.

Yeshua is not a dog who will respond to just any name, the bible specifically states that under no other name is one saved.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
But Jesus is the Greek translation. So Yeshua and Jesus are the same name. There is no difference.

Actually the only other English translation would be " Joshua"

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, it is a transliteration. A translation is when you find the word in your language that means the same thing in the language of origin. Red in our language is rojo in Spanish. When it comes to names... you use the letters in your language that best SOUND like the letters as used in the language of origin. So... the Yod is a Y not a J because the yod has the Y sound.

I wasn't trying to be offensive... it was simply that I, too prefer Yeshua and using it doesn't make one feel anything other than you are using something he heard with his own ears. And, it is a forum of which I am a member and the rules it. :)

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bob??

,Bob, does not mean Yhvh saves. Names have meaning attached,and it states so in the bible. Also the name was given by the angel, and specifically because he would save his ppl.

Yeshua is not a dog who will respond to just any name, the bible specifically states that under no other name is one saved.
Not my point... if somebody doesn't know His name and calls on Him with a pure heart... He will reveal what they need to know in time. And if you didn't notice, I was defending the use of Yeshua, the same name I use?

As for no other name by which we can be saved... it isn't what we CALL HIM that saves. In Hebrew, "shem" (name) MEANS reputation, character, authority and power. There is no other authority (name) by which we are saved. If it comes down to our ability to articulate letters, then we cut out those who truly have a heard to seek him but are unable, for whatever reason, to say the right things.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Does it make you feel more holy than others by calling him Yeshua instead of Jesus?
It is like a foreigner who is saying your name with an accent, it is what he calls you, and with a smile you accept it, but your friends and family pronounce your name as it was given to you at birth. There is no feelings of "holier than thou".. it doesn't even enter the mind. That kind of attitude makes no sense, about a pronunciation, really.

• Winner
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

But they sound nothing alike. If i translated your name as Mike instead of Josh how is that correct?

• Agree
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
But they sound nothing alike. If i translated your name as Mike instead of Josh how is that correct?
My real name is said one way in English but translated into another name commonly used in Greek, and I would have never guessed there was a connection. But in travelling to other countries and hearing your name pronounced different ways, it makes sense that something so far from Mike like Josh could be the translation.

• Informative
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well, with the way statesmen in Israel are using diminutions of their names, Jesus would probably be called Yoshi, today. Even so, I prefer not to use the pronunciation, Yeshua, because I don't like to feel as though I might be taking the Lord's name in vain every time I sneeze.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not my point... if somebody doesn't know His name and calls on Him with a pure heart... He will reveal what they need to know in time. And if you didn't notice, I was defending the use of Yeshua, the same name I use?

As for no other name by which we can be saved... it isn't what we CALL HIM that saves. In Hebrew, "shem" (name) MEANS reputation, character, authority and power. There is no other authority (name) by which we are saved. If it comes down to our ability to articulate letters, then we cut out those who truly have a heard to seek him but are unable, for whatever reason, to say the right things.
I'll have to beg to difer:

Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them

10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, with the way statesmen in Israel are using diminutions of their names, Jesus would probably be called Yoshi, today. Even so, I prefer not to use the pronunciation, Yeshua, because I don't like to feel as though I might be taking the Lord's name in vain every time I sneeze.

Why would you say that?, that's certainly not what it means.

And about the sneezing what you said is more blasphemous than actually saying his name.

Upvote 0