Yes! MORE police brutality! Only this time against unarmed peaceful students!

NuclearDreams

...the last laugh
Mar 6, 2006
Germany
Visit site
✟7,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutes lack nuance.

In my opinion, when we convert a relative value like “acceptance” or “inclusion” into an absolute value (something that is always good), it becomes dictatorial by negating any objective truth.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
In my opinion, when we convert a relative value like “acceptance” or “inclusion” into an absolute value (something that is always good), it becomes dictatorial by negating any objective truth.
I agree that converting things to absolutes causes them to become dictatorial - but because absolutes lack nuance and flexibility.

Upvote 0

NuclearDreams

...the last laugh
Mar 6, 2006
Germany
Visit site
✟7,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that converting things to absolutes causes them to become dictatorial - but because absolutes lack nuance and flexibility.

You missed the point. The Absolutes I'm talking about are moral standards that I have taught to my three teenagers. They are not meant to instigate acceptance (compromise), they are not supposed to be flexible and they are definitely not inclusive. A character with a backbone (solid foundation) can stand on it's own, although it doesn't have to, but it does not need the acceptance or approval of peers to know what is right and what is wrong.

I am a firm believer that the heart of a person is made up of three parts: character, conscience and emotions. You build a child's character using what I spoke about above and that influences her/his conscience, which then steers the emotions and or devotion towards that which is good. If you turn that list of three upside down, then you get a person who's emotions control their conscience which in turn poisons or warps their character. If you think that through you can imagine what a person is capable of if that happens.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
You missed the point. The Absolutes I'm talking about are moral standards that I have taught to my three teenagers. They are not meant to instigate acceptance (compromise), they are not supposed to be flexible and they are definitely not inclusive. A character with a backbone (solid foundation) can stand on it's own, although it doesn't have to, but it does not need the acceptance or approval of peers to know what is right and what is wrong.
Who mentioned acceptance or approval of peers? :confused: Adopting absolute, static positions creates an untenable position when unforeseen circumstances arise. One should be flexible - not to the random influences of untrusted peers, but to accommodate the endless variations in circumstances that always stymie fallible human attempts to plan things out in advance.

I am a firm believer that the heart of a person is made up of three parts: character, conscience and emotions. You build a child's character using what I spoke about above and that influences her/his conscience, which then steers the emotions and or devotion towards that which is good. If you turn that list of three upside down, then you get a person who's emotions control their conscience which in turn poisons or warps their character. If you think that through you can imagine what a person is capable of if that happens.
It is absolutely critical to not allow emotion to cloud judgement, true.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes thank you! you're supporting the idea that even though one may have to walk around others, there are still other entrances to the building! You completely enforce the idea that police brutality against peaceful protesters is wrong.

Thank you, finally. Good to find common ground eh?
I really have to say your a bit of a clown. I have already in posts condemned the police actions. i have already in several posts said that in some cases there were ways around. i don't see why you are getting excited over me repeating myself when you previously argued with what I said.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A reading of the first chapter of any good book on ethics and morality will show how there are different approaches to this and what the flaws with each one are.

Upvote 0