Michigan
✟16,831.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They may be in the minority. But given that the cops who don't engage in these abuses readily cover for the ones that do make them all look like the scum of the earth they are.

Yes, all cops are scum. What an intelligent statement. Your hateful ignorance can be cured by getting to know some police officers and realizing that cops are not powerhungry fascists. Who am I kidding? You'll use anecdotal evidence to further your preconceived notions. As for me, I'm well aware of the fine, upstanding men and women (like my parents and uncles) that serve and protect, and have reported, suspended and fired subordinates who do things like strike a handcuffed prisoner that urinates and spits on them.

Upvote 0

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Yes, all cops are scum. What an intelligent statement. Your hateful ignorance can be cured by getting to know some police officers and realizing that cops are not powerhungry fascists. Who am I kidding? You'll use anecdotal evidence to further your preconceived notions. As for me, I'm well aware of the fine, upstanding men and women (like my parents and uncles) that serve and protect, and have reported, suspended and fired subordinates who do things like strike a handcuffed prisoner that urinates and spits on them.

Never said all cops are scum. I've even met good cops. But there are so many that aren't, and too many of the otherwise fine cops don't do enough, if anything about them.

Would we have even known about this had it not been for the tape? How many cops would have kept this secret?

And with all the instances like this we know about, plus who knows how many that we don't know about, I'm not naive enough to be convinced of this "cops are fine and upstanding people who protect and serve" BS.

And you know this exactly how? The fact of the matter is that in every incident you hear of, you have incomplete information at best and most often factually incorrect information.

I read the news, I stay informed. And maybe my information is faulty, but yours isn't any better.

Not at all. My suggestions are based on the fact that if one is interacting with the police in a situation where the cop is making requests/giving orders, it's already a heated situation. Here's a question though. In such a situation, why would one feel the need to be disagreeable in the first place? Unless one is comming from the very wrong perspective that the cops inherently have it out for them, why disagree in the first place?

Dallas, Texas. Man is speeding to a hospital to see his dying mother-in-law, family with him. Guy tries to explain the situation, cops pulls a gun. Woman dies.

Cop got fired. Should have done some prison time. Got off easy.

That's a good reason to not comply with a cop. Good reason not to even stop for one.

Maybe you should, but the real question is why would you feel the need to call the cop an SOB in the first place?

Because maybe he is one.

But you shouldn't be able to call a cop an SOB and not expect any response any more than you should be able to do the same to a random stranger.

I call you an SOB, you beat me up, you go to jail for assault. Cop beats me up, nothing happens to me, even though people like to lie to themselves and believe we hold cops to a higher standard.

I get attacked for actually thinking we should be holding to a higher standard.

Granted, the cop has at their disposal many options that they shouldn't use in such a situation, but the fact that they are a cop does not mean that they can't or shouldn't respond to idiotic provocation like anyone else would.

No, they shouldn't. They should smile, be respectful and peaceful until that person becomes hostile.

Anything less is the conduct of a fascist pig who used to be the 5th grade bully and never grew up.

And then there's the fact that it is an entirely reasonable assumption by the cop that someone showing such disrespect is probably not entirely on the right side of the law in the first place.

And then there's the fact that it is an entirely reasonable assumption by the cop that someone showing such disrespect is probably not entirely on the right side of the law in the first place.

"Innocent until proven guilty" Used to be a hallmark of American justice. Now it's just a bumper sticker.

Upvote 0