What You See Is What You Get!
Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So everyone in my office has decided to do a joint yard sale a few weeks. I have a ton of stuff to sell in anticipation of merging to households of stuff next April.

My problem is that I have NO idea what to price things. Do you guys do yard sales? How do you decide what to price stuff?

:help:

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I love garage/yard sales!

I could probably help you with pricing if you want to give me a general idea of the items. :D Just keep in mind that we live a few states apart, so I don't know if it will be comparable to what people price things there. :p

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Typically I would just make things cheap, at a price that you would be willing to buy the things yourself if you were completely impartial to them and on a budget. A huge majority of people going to garage sales are scoping out not only quality but good deals. So my advice is make it cheap or it will likely not sell. Usually between 1-10 dollars, maybe 15-20 if it's a more expensive, higher quality item. However most stuff at garage sales isn't worth more then a few dollars, or atleast you will have a hard time getting much more than that for it.

Upvote 0

dluvs2trvl

Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmm...maybe I should post some pics of the stuff I'm going to sell. I have a baker's rack, kitchen table and 4 chairs, a microwave/butcher block cart, a wing back chair, a curio cabinet, some french pierrot dolls, a computer cabinet, a set of china (service for 16) and misc kitchen stuff as well as lots of nick nacky type stuff.

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmm...maybe I should post some pics of the stuff I'm going to sell. I have a baker's rack, kitchen table and 4 chairs, a microwave/butcher block cart, a wing back chair, a curio cabinet, some french pierrot dolls, a computer cabinet, a set of china (service for 16) and misc kitchen stuff as well as lots of nick nacky type stuff.

I was thinking more along the lines of nick nacky stuff. Furniture, I would price between $10-$25, depending on the item.

Upvote 0

dluvs2trvl

Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have more stuff that I'll be selling when I actually make the move into my parents house in December. I'm moving in with them for a few months to save money for the wedding. Anyways, that stuff I'll put on Craig's list but right now, I just really don't want to be bothered to much with having to deal with ebay, etc. So I'm going the yard sale route :)

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have more stuff that I'll be selling when I actually make the move into my parents house in December. I'm moving in with them for a few months to save money for the wedding. Anyways, that stuff I'll put on Craig's list but right now, I just really don't want to be bothered to much with having to deal with ebay, etc. So I'm going the yard sale route :)

Makes sense. I would definitely go as cheap as you can. Think about the item and try to put yourself in the place of the people going to the garage sale. (I think that's what Beauty4Ashes was saying.) Price the items what you would pay for them if you saw them at a garage sale and you didn't have any attachment to the items. :D

I'll pray for a good outcome. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Depending on the furniture and the quality of the piece, I would say to price them in the $15 - $30 range. I sold a couch and loveseat for $50 on a yard sale once. lol

I agree with the advice to price it based on what you would see at typical yard sales - without taking emotional attachment into consideration. :)

Upvote 0

dluvs2trvl

Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My problem is that I haven't been to a yard sale in AGES! :sorry:

On the furniture items, what I don't sell, I will keep and try to sell on Craig's list at a later date. The little stuff is just going to go to goodwill after this yard sale.

I think I'll try to post some pictures tonight so you guys can get a better idea of what I'm selling :D We'll have a pricing party! LOL! ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I would suggest that you consider not putting the french pierrot dolls up for sale at a garage sale, but somewhere they can bring in what they're worth. Just with a quick google search, I've found some of worth from $15 - $250 dollars each.

Upvote 0

dluvs2trvl

Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any '80s Transformer toys for sale?
Nope...sorry :sorry:

I would suggest that you consider not putting the french pierrot dolls up for sale at a garage sale, but somewhere they can bring in what they're worth. Just with a quick google search, I've found some of worth from $15 - $250 dollars each.
Hmmmm...I wonder if they are like mine??? I don't have the boxes or anything that they came in. I can take some photos of those and post them and maybe could you help me compare them and see if they are the ones that are going for that price??? :help:

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Nope...sorry :sorry:

Hmmmm...I wonder if they are like mine??? I don't have the boxes or anything that they came in. I can take some photos of those and post them and maybe could you help me compare them and see if they are the ones that are going for that price??? :help:

Definitely. Just send me pictures of the front and back of each one and tell me if they have any writing or inscriptions (if so, what the writing says). It would be my pleasure to help you. :)

Reactions: dluvs2trvl
Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
God bless your heart. I can't do yard sales anymore. I haven't the patience. It's nice meeting area folks, but at the same time, there are many things that discourage me. My sister-in-law does this, so she invites me to it on occasion. I just can't do it though.

I used to find that marking items a bit up from where you'd feel comfortable letting it go for ensured that even when people bargain you down, you're still at the price you're most comfortable with. It's a game. And I hate that.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I try to think about how "I" would like things priced if I were the shopper. Little items, I usually make .25 or .50. Bigger items usually $1. If it's something really nice and pricey, like nice furniture or electronics, that's different. But still, instead of thinking "how much could I get for this?" I try to think "how little can I sell this for, and make someone really happy?".

Upvote 0