London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm going back to PC gaming for the time being. Consoles are convenient, but I'm going to let the dust settle on this next generation first. I need to get emulation for my 360 sorted out first if they're going to be silly about backwards compatibility.

Upvote 0

Perhaps Today

A Light In The Black
Sep 18, 2009
Michigan
✟15,068.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The PS4 being region free is a huge plus. I base my system purchases off the rpg lineup too :). There have been a lot of RPGs that aren't released outside of Japan, especially in the past, that gamers would like to play. But, they wouldn't generate a profit for companies. More companies are bringing over riskier games now. I wish the Wii had been region free. I'd have loved to play the Dragon Quest 25th anniversary collection.

Always nice to see more RPG fans, especially JRPG. :thumbsup:

There's been many a game I've wanted to play over the years but couldn't due to my inability to grasp the language. This was even more evident in the 8-16 Bit eras. On a side note, last I knew Dragon Quest V and VI were never released here and the rom translation of VI has a long ways to go if ever done.

Upvote 0
R

ReAnn89

Always nice to see more RPG fans, especially JRPG. :thumbsup:

There's been many a game I've wanted to play over the years but couldn't due to my inability to grasp the language. This was even more evident in the 8-16 Bit eras. On a side note, last I knew Dragon Quest V and VI were never released here and the rom translation of VI has a long ways to go if ever done.

They were both released in the last few years on the DS about 3-4 years ago actually :) I have DQ4 & DQ5 on the DS, but I still need to get DQ6.

Upvote 0

Perhaps Today

A Light In The Black
Sep 18, 2009
Michigan
✟15,068.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They were both released in the last few years on the DS about 3-4 years ago actually :) I have DQ4 & DQ5 on the DS, but I still need to get DQ6.

Awesome, when I finally can restart my library I may have to invest in a DS.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Awesome, when I finally can restart my library I may have to invest in a DS.

Yep. All three a based on a much improved VII-engine. 4 and 5 are the most improved. IV allows you to control all of your characters, which means no more of the AI trying to instant kill the final boss, and it comes with an additional chapter at the end of the game. V has four characters to a party now, and has an extra potential bride. I picked her the second time because it was just hilarious.

Btw, I'd get a 3DS. IX is on DS (and actually very fun!), and they're remaking VII on the 3DS. If they fix a lot of the issues from VII, I might finally beat it. ^_^

Upvote 0

Banoodle

future theologian
Apr 10, 2013
✟8,590.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think the Xbox One is just too advanced and too technical to use for the real gaming experience. And you need to be online all the time, you cannot play offline. That is a major disappointment.
I haven't looked at PS4 enough, but it seems to be more gamer friendly.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think the Xbox One is just too advanced and too technical to use for the real gaming experience. And you need to be online all the time, you cannot play offline. That is a major disappointment.
I haven't looked at PS4 enough, but it seems to be more gamer friendly.

Actually, they changed that* You now connect online when you set it up, and it downloads a patch to turn that aspect off**.

*However, they have said they reserve the right to bring it back at any time. :doh:

**Yes, I'm serious. You have to connect online to enable offline play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
R

ReAnn89

Btw, I'd get a 3DS. IX is on DS (and actually very fun!), and they're remaking VII on the 3DS. If they fix a lot of the issues from VII, I might finally beat it. ^_^

I can't wait to finally play the 7th game. I have few doubts about it coming stateside :)

Back on topic, I see Microsoft making online not mandatory at first, then within a year changing it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
MS lost all my trust, although they have been doing that for awhile. In terms of them trying to save their butt....I don't trust them now at all. Because of EULA policies that can change anything at any time and there isn't anything you can do about it.

For example when the Xbox One comes out all your MS Points won't work. And you can't do anything to get your money back. If you want something to buy on Xbox ONe or 360, you have to pay real money instead. This is why I stopped buying MS points a few months before E3 because I figured they would change how we pay for stuff.

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm planning on buying the PS4.. much later, as I am still playing games on the Xbox 360. And I cant afford £50+ per game.. silly price..

Like most people think... the new Xbox appears to be about Microsoft money-grabbing again, with scant regard for their customers, whereas Sony and the PS4 is game-focused, and they have listened to the gamers.
Like most people think... you don't need a game console to watch TV or play DVDs.. or do anything else.. and the planned restrictions by Microsoft are out altogether.. they'v made PC gaming a pain in the bottom.. with the digital restrictions on that.. I don't play any PC games anymore.

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
It's nice to at least see that Microsoft reversed their DRM policies. I suspect that between Sony's E3 conference and fan outrage they realized that they really screwed up on that call.

they need to dump their plan to have us all connected to the internet every five minutes to play games.. nobody is going to go along with that, when the PS4 is free of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 1, 2013
So.Cal
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is good for the consumers to have two options. The way MS went about their business was embarrassing. I am glad they realized their mistakes and are going to switch it up. Competition is good for the gamers. Sony was running away with this next gen battle before it even started. With that said I have already pre-ordered my PS4.

Upvote 0

Miss Spawn

I'm Not Gay I Just Like Rainbows
Jul 1, 2013
Mass.
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's nice to at least see that Microsoft reversed their DRM policies. I suspect that between Sony's E3 conference and fan outrage they realized that they really screwed up on that call.

I found it a bit silly that they back peddled so quickly. I think i would've had more respect for them if they had stuck to their guns. Not that i was for ANY of the things the xbox1 was going to bring to the table, but everyone whining about not liking a very large concept and all of a sudden they don't feel the need to do it anymore. :destroy: whine about anything enough and you'll get your way.

Upvote 0

2bituser

I'd love to get a discussion going about the good and bad of both systems. I will probably buy one or the other. I've always owned multiplatforms. I have an XBOX 360, PS4, and a Wii. I also PC game a lot.

What are your thoughts on these two systems?

My thoughts:

PS4 better than XBox One, due to not having to always be online and also being a more powerful system based around x86 architecture. Which should mean development is easier because it's more like a PC, which hopefully means developers target both when they do a title. We're just not ready for an always online world yet; just look at disasters like the recent Sim City, or Diablo III which had all these issues when it came out. Plus who wants publishers to have that much control, can you imagine wanting to visit a game in 10 years but you can no longer play it because the server is down or it's unsupported now, etc.

What I want to know though is: why can't someone make a gamepad with a trackball or some other high precision pointer on it? Get rid of the D-pad! Fighting games work better with thumbsticks than do FPS titles (which are more popular right now), plus it will open up consoles to RTS games and competition with PC gamers.

Upvote 0