Widowed
Maybe they'll make a movie.

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1952)
Bette Davis, Joan Crawford....

Pathetic.

I Never Sang for my Father (1970)
Melvyn Douglas, Gene Hackman

Pathetic.

I prefer The Yearling and I Remember Mama.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've never seen Brazil. Maybe I will some day.

"We are to become what we are" ~Metropolitan Kallistos Ware

That's an odd signature. We are to become Christlike, are we not?

It is a very good description of how life felt for me, my character and nature, priorities and frankly, most of the world around me.
Things have changed a bit, in me at least, thank God. As for the world around me... the movie has proven to be nothing but prophetic in it's nature, as it was in my own.

The quote is a favorite of mine from the book, The Orthodox Way - in it's context, it struck me as particularly true, as did much of the rest of the book.

However careless and indifferent the baptized may be in their subsequent life, this indwelling presence of the Spirit is never totally withdrawn. But unless we cooperate with God’s grace – unless, through the exercise of our free will, we struggle to perform the commandments – it is likely that the Spirit’s presence within us will remain hidden and unconscious. As pilgrims on the Way, then, it is our purpose to advance from the stage where the grace of the Spirit is present and active within us in a hidden way, to the point of conscious awareness, when we know the Spirit’s power openly, directly, with the full perception of our heart. ‘I am come to cast fire on the earth,’ Christ said, ‘and how I wish it were already kindled!’ (Luke 12:49). The Pentecostal spark of the Spirit, existing in each one of us from Baptism, is to be kindled into a living flame. We are to become what we are.

Also, I found from personal experience that it paired nicely with the first quote in my signature (which is likewise true apart from God) but was a much better direction to take things in. It is the way things were meant to be, and so it has (one hopes) the last word.

Last edited:

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It is a very good description of how life felt for me, my character and nature, priorities and frankly, most of the world around me.
Things have changed a bit, in me at least, thank God. As for the world around me... the movie has proven to be nothing but prophetic in it's nature, as it was in my own.

The quote is a favorite of mine from the book, The Orthodox Way - in it's context, it struck me as particularly true, as did much of the rest of the book.

However careless and indifferent the baptized may be in their subsequent life, this indwelling presence of the Spirit is never totally withdrawn. But unless we cooperate with God’s grace – unless, through the exercise of our free will, we struggle to perform the commandments – it is likely that the Spirit’s presence within us will remain hidden and unconscious. As pilgrims on the Way, then, it is our purpose to advance from the stage where the grace of the Spirit is present and active within us in a hidden way, to the point of conscious awareness, when we know the Spirit’s power openly, directly, with the full perception of our heart. ‘I am come to cast fire on the earth,’ Christ said, ‘and how I wish it were already kindled!’ (Luke 12:49). The Pentecostal spark of the Spirit, existing in each one of us from Baptism, is to be kindled into a living flame. We are to become what we are.

Also, I found from personal experience that it paired nicely with the first quote in my signature (which is likewise true apart from God) but was a much better direction to take things in. It is the way things were meant to be, and so it has (one hopes) the last word.
I'm assuming you are Greek Orthodox.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm assuming you are Greek Orthodox.
Yes, but I haven't attended services in some time. I'm a member and familiar enough to talk about and appreciate the nuances of their beliefs.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, but I haven't attended services in some time. I'm a member and familiar enough to talk about and appreciate the nuances of their beliefs.
Thank you for your response. I think it helps to have a general idea. I've attended many denominations from Protestant to Catholic and Orthodox.

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The two movies I mentioned are about horrible family relationships.

I've never seen them - were there things in them you identified with?
My family life growing up was fairly unremarkable; I'm divorced and remarried recently, coming up on a 1st anniversary. My wife and I both enjoyed Philadelphia Story (1940) not too long ago - she has a bit of Katharine Hepburn to her and I have a bit of James Stewart, on a good day.

The Days of Wine and Roses (1962) is also one I can relate to. My parents sat me and my first wife down to watch it, probably around 1995. The marriage lasted about 3 years. I went into recovery for alcoholism in 2013 and have been sober for 10 years now. I rewatched it for the first time again about a year ago, paying considerably closer attention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My family life growing up was fairly unremarkable; I'm divorced and remarried recently, coming up on a 1st anniversary. My wife and I both enjoyed Philadelphia Story (1940) not too long ago - she has a bit of Katharine Hepburn to her and I have a bit of James Stewart, on a good day.

The Days of Wine and Roses (1962) is also one I can relate to. My parents sat me and my first wife down to watch it, probably around 1995. The marriage lasted about 3 years. I went into recovery for alcoholism in 2013 and have been sober for 10 years now. I rewatched it for the first time again about a year ago, paying considerably
I won't reveal my life story and all the negativity, but I'm glad my life is more peaceful now. Unfortunately most of my childhood and part of my adulthood was a result of being related to so many American non-Christians and not having one Christian I could go to with my sorrows. The Bette Davis movie was worse. The Melvyn Douglas movie failed to have any reconciliation in the end and that was so disappointing. However, watching movies that are worse than what I experienced makes me appreciate my life more.

I prefer movies in which there is some victory in the end.

A friend of mine says I should write a book. No thanks!

Philippians 4:8!​

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One flew over the Cuckoos Nest. Written by ken Kesey Not that bad but inspiriring. Klaxons- all that space and no where to go.
the sun also rises, Jason Robards, written by Ernest Hemingway. Running with the bulls.it’s a beautiful mind. Poor guy but so brilliant when he was young, won the Nobel prize for economics, started the Green Revolution.

a little inappropriate content but never did make a habit of it. Filthy garbage.

2001 a space odyssey-a learning experience. All that space and no where to go. Truly got saved that year.Jesus Revolution’ missed it.

yellow submarine- saw it six times. Stoner days.

christian movies all touching.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
2001 a space odyssey-a learning experience. All that space and no where to go. Truly got saved that year. Jesus Revolution’ missed it.

That's a good movie, an all-time favorite of mine. "Open the pod bay door, Hal."

Upvote 0