Torah Submissive
Sep 18, 2006
Australia
✟16,991.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I've not heard of it at all. I don't know if it is just me but wrapping something in plastic when my child is left there for large amounts of time on their own doesn't sound right.

I have however seen research that suggests second and third children are more likely to to die from SIDS. The believe it is because parents usually use the same mattress for subsequent babies and those mattress are usually filled with bacteria and dust mites that effect the airways of little children. They suggest a new mattress for each child.

You can however get mattresses that have their own protective thick plastic sewn into them which means any sick or leaks don't soak into the mattress because sometimes mattress protectors don't always work and which means they allow bacteria to grow in the mattress.

Upvote 0

SabrinaFair

Happily married to MetalDave!!!
Aug 9, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟29,907.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SabrinaFair

Aug 9, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟29,907.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a lot of needless stuff marketed out there to make money off the baby industry. lol. Like overpriced dirty diaper genies, and expensive bath tubs that get used 5 times, and walkers/door bouncers that over half my babies hated... :)

I'm thinking any parent who has a baby with sleep apnea, or has ever lost a baby to SIDS probably doesn't mind spending the $20-$30 on a mattress cover just incase the research is valid... :cool:

Upvote 0

SabrinaFair

Aug 9, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟29,907.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The New Zealand stats are currently the best known source, and here is info on that- at the bottom of this article you will find a list of studies and research about it- those would be a good place to start if you are interested in getting more information. :)

http://www.hpakids.org/HTML/index.html?toxicgasesinmattresses.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yep - it all seems about making money, based on fear and guilt, IMO.

How so? Most of the sites I've seen about it give instructions for wrapping your mattress with stuff you can get at a hardware store, in case you can't afford or don't have access to the commercial mattress wraps or wrapped mattresses (which we don't in the US, as far as I can tell). If you were just out to make money, would you tell people about cheaper alternatives to your product?

Upvote 0

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And it is my understanding that the mattress wrapping does not have to do with dust mites and such--but rather off gassing of the chemicals in the mattress.

Oh. Well living with one asthmatic and the possibility of having another pretty soon removing as many dust mites and fibres which can be breathed in is pretty important to me.

Sorry if I was confused.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Oh. Well living with one asthmatic and the possibility of having another pretty soon removing as many dust mites and fibres which can be breathed in is pretty important to me.

Sorry if I was confused.
No-no--just the kind of mattress wrapping that I think the OP was referring to--the kind required by New Zealand law.

If I could afford it- I would dust mite proof all of my bedding, as I am pretty sure it is an allergy for me....but my symptoms are not severe enough to warrant the cost of all of that!

I think there are other mattress alternatives out there to--like particular foams, etc..... which are supposed to both eliminate the off gassing problem ,as well as the dust mites... I just wish it weren't all so expensive!

Upvote 0