• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Would you still be a Christian without the incentive of Heaven?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by bettercallpaul, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAAchristian757

SAAchristian757 Member

+51
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I would say that many have an awful time of it hereon earth.

>What better reason to think and act like Jesus and being rewarded with an abundant life full of blessings?

Really, this has not been my experience. I cringe inside when I read this.

2. bettercallpaul

bettercallpaul Full- time Catholic

+7,059
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    :)
    a package deal...
    what a classic !

3. Sea Horse

Sea Horse New Member

+26
    Belarus
    Christian
    Engaged
    No , because if there was no Heaven , there would be no place where God could exist .

4. bettercallpaul

+7,059
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    That's a great question actually. if we really loved someone, would we suffer eternal Hell for them?

5. bettercallpaul

+7,059
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    I know what you're saying. its nice to know we've discovered the truth. The meaning of life. Jesus Christ is the way, truth and life.

6. Anguspure

Anguspure Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ Supporter

+1,333
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Separated
    Here's something that I have considered: If we have the righteousness of Christ and if and because of this we have the authority to forgive sin (or not) on earth, then would it be possible for us lay down our lives for the salvation of another as Christ has done? Could we, upon seeing that another person was to be cast into hell, step in and offer to be cast in ourselves? Would not this be the coup of eternity if the body of Christ itself was to also lay itself down for the sin of the world, vicarious of Christ and so present His Love again graphically as a gift to the world?

7. Sea Horse

Sea Horse New Member

+26
    Belarus
    Christian
    Engaged
    I would not , i would like Peter run away when they asked him if he knew Christ , maybe i would repent over time and die for him just like Peter but i dubt it , that's why i need Christ because i can't go to heaven myself , he did it for me .

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. bettercallpaul

+7,059
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    Interesting idea isn't it. A person might even be happy in Hell, :)despite the pain, but knowing that they sacrificed themselves for someone else out of love.

9. Anguspure

+1,333
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Separated
    Or perhaps the power of the resurrection is in the death. The question is do we really trust the Just nature of God enough? Certainly our Saviour sweat blood thinking about the situation.

10. Anguspure

+1,333
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Separated
    You are an honest Horse my friend. I hate to say it but in myself I am the same. But then I shouldn't hate it, should I? Because my weakness brings all glory to Him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Sarah G

Sarah G Human bean. Supporter

+1,049
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Married
    Archbishop Desmond Tutu once said that he would refuse heaven if gay people aren't allowed in. God bless him.

"I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place," Archbishop Tutu said at the launch of the Free and Equal campaign in Cape Town.
    Archbishop Tutu 'would not worship a homophobic God' - BBC News

12. bettercallpaul

+7,059
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    What about protestants. Would they refuse to go to a Catholophobic Heaven?

13. bettercallpaul

+7,059
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    :)

14. Anguspure

+1,333
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Separated
    The thing is that God doesn't take gays any more than he takes heterosexuals or whatever other box.

What God takes into Heaven is Desmond and Anne, Charlie and Bob, Margaret and Jill etc etc etc, all X billion of us each individually on the grounds of what Christ Jesus has done for us and who find our identity in Him.

If we insist on finding our identity in things of the flesh then none of us belong to Him. Rather we should set our minds on the things of the Spirit that He has given us and find our identity in Him.

15. Sarah G

Sarah G Human bean. Supporter

+1,049
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Married
    Perhaps you should write to Desmond Tutu and educate him on the matter.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Anguspure

+1,333
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Separated
    I met him once. My Grandmother introduced me when he came to Nelson. I think Archbishop Tutu would have a wonderful discussion with anybody because he is truly a humble man of God.

17. bettercallpaul

+7,059
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    This is the "problem" with Heaven. All the people I didn't get along with here on earth, are going to be there for sure. :) Just hope its easier to luvya neighbour by then. :)

18. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,956
    Christian
    Married
    "Follow Christ" to where, then? Where is Christ now? Dead in the grave or alive in heaven?

The concept of heaven is inextricable from the concepts of resurrection and eternal life, and without the resurrection there is no Christ. (1 Corinthians 15).

If there is no heaven, then Christ is just another dead man now in the grave who said some good things while he lived.

There are lots of dead men now in their graves who said good things while they lived. One could lead a sufficiently moral life with no more than Aristotle, if there is no heaven.

19. Anguspure

+1,333
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Separated
    But then, to press the point, if being moral wasn't your thing then why would you even bother with that?

20. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,956
    Christian
    Married
    Who came up with the "truly love God in a 'selfless' way" myth?

Not Jesus. Jesus never spoke in terms of there being no satisfactory end goal. Not ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.