Would you go out with someone who...

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If your standards exclude the majority of people from consideration then you (not you personally) shouldn't be surprised if you remain single. Particularly if you're someone who doesn't tend to measure up to the standards of others.

It's pretty funny, though, to see how many of those standards get ignored once people start getting a bit older.

I definitely think that you shouldn't expect something from someone that you cannot provide yourself. For instance, let's say you're overweight and not in shape, it would be unrealistic (and a tad hypocritical) to expect a partner who is fit, in shape and takes care of themself. That's only fair. This can apply to virtually EVERY dealbreaker out there, such as smoking, being divorced or having kids, having no job, etc.

One shouldn't expect a rich partner if they can't even pay their cell phone bill on time. It's expecting something that you can't reciprocate in the relationship.

An example... I have a friend, who is a great guy. But... he's really depressed most of the time. Yet when a girl showed interest in him, who also happened to be depressed, he totally blew her off. That's a little unjust, I think. But anyway...

Interestingly, many of the ideas that came into my head for this quiz were all from personal experience from people in my own life! So don't anyone say that none of these "strange" items could apply - because they can and DO! lol

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You're not gonna know all that upon a first encounter.

Mmm... I would say 90% or so of the items on this list are pretty much evident before even speaking to someone, or just by asking a simple question; e.g."What are your hopes and dreams for the future?", etc.

Which items do you feel are hidden and difficult to discern from a first or second meeting with someone?

Upvote 0

Asvin

Legend
Aug 13, 2010
✟32,434.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Had kids? Yes
Was divorced? Yes
Smokes? No
Drinks? Yes
Uses drugs? Yes (Caffeine is a drug)
Was not from your denomination? Yes
Was not a Christian? Yes
Was overweight? Yes
Has body odor? No
Dresses poorly? Yes (I honestly don't give a "you know what" how people dress
Bathes seldomly? No
Was taller than you (for men) / shorter than you (for women)? Yes
Was 5 years younger than you? Yes
How about 10 years younger? Yes
Was 5 years older than you? Yes
10 years older? Yes
Has no car? Yes
Has no job? Yes
Has no money? Yes
Has no ambition for the future? No
Is negative? No
Doesn't go to church? Yes
Was of a different race (ethnicity) than you? Yes
Your parents did not approve of? Yes
Is Clingy? No
Talks about marriage right away? Yes
Is awesome? Yes
Is a vegetarian / vegan? (Or a meat-eater if you are not?) Yes

Upvote 0

puffca

Veteran
Mar 25, 2007
NY
✟18,580.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I definitely think that you shouldn't expect something from someone that you cannot provide yourself. For instance, let's say you're overweight and not in shape, it would be unrealistic (and a tad hypocritical) to expect a partner who is fit, in shape and takes care of themself. That's only fair. This can apply to virtually EVERY dealbreaker out there, such as smoking, being divorced or having kids, having no job, etc.

One shouldn't expect a rich partner if they can't even pay their cell phone bill on time. It's expecting something that you can't reciprocate in the relationship.

An example... I have a friend, who is a great guy. But... he's really depressed most of the time. Yet when a girl showed interest in him, who also happened to be depressed, he totally blew her off. That's a little unjust, I think. But anyway...

Interestingly, many of the ideas that came into my head for this quiz were all from personal experience from people in my own life! So don't anyone say that none of these "strange" items could apply - because they can and DO! lol

I respectfully disagree. People should just expect anything they want, and whether a relationship works only depends on if mutual expectations are met. Whether a person meets his or her own expectations should be irrelavent.

People are all different. It is not hard for me to imagine a guy with a job actually wants a jobless partner so she may spend more time on the family, nor is it unfair for a jobless girl want her partner to have a job so she has more time to take care of the family instead of going out to work.

A relationship is meant to be mutual-reciprocating instead of self-reciprocating, therefore we don't have to meet our own expectations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,180,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would you date someone who lives underwater? I would.

What like a beautiful mermaid? Yeah sure, even if you couldn't well you know how that one Futurama episode goes lol.

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I respectfully disagree. People should just expect anything they want, and whether a relationship works only depends on if mutual expectations are met. Whether a person meets his or her own expectations should be irrelavent.

People are all different. It is not hard for me to imagine a guy with a job actually wants a jobless partner so she may spend more time on the family, nor is it unfair for a jobless girl want her partner to have a job so she has more time to take care of the family instead of going out to work.

A relationship is meant to be mutual-reciprocating instead of self-reciprocating, therefore we don't have to meet our own expectations.

It's unhealthy and somewhat hypocritical to expect something you are unwilling or unable to provide yourself. It's neediness and desperation to seek someone to "fill" a void or "need" in your own life that you refuse to fill yourself.

You're not totally wrong - in one sense. I don't care if my girl works. But I know she will. Why? Because it's unrealistic in this day and age to expect a woman to sit home all day while the man goes out and wins the bread. It's not like it was 30 years ago. This is very difficult to do, especially in this economy.

Also, there is a greater stigma for men to be unemployed than for women. Men value looks more than women and women value finances and resources more than men. That could explain the discrepancies there.

But I stand by my point, that it is unrealistic and unfair to expect a beauty queen when you look like a slob and don't put any effort into your appearance. You'd better have a lot of faith to back up that request, because outside of that, it's not happening.

Upvote 0

Eurasia

Living in hybrid space
Apr 6, 2007
Australia
✟18,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Would you date / go out with someone who…

Had kids? Yes
Was divorced? Yes, it depends on circumstances.
Smokes? No
Drinks? Maybe
Uses drugs? Nope
Was not a Christian? No
Was overweight? No
Has body odor? No
Dresses poorly? Maybe
Bathes seldomly? No
Was taller than you (for men) / shorter than you (for women)? No
How about 10 years younger? No
10 years older? Yes
Has no car? Yes
Has no job? Yes, but prefer if they were actively looking for one.
Has no money? No
Is negative? No
Doesn't go to church? No
Is Clingy? No
Talks about marriage right away? No
Is awesome? Yes
Is a vegetarian / vegan? (Or a meat-eater if you are not?) Yes

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To be honest they're not all really deal-breakers. Emotions are subjective, fickle.. people under their sway are much more forgiving when attachment is involved.

Amen, brother. :preach:

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟386,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's pretty funny, though, to see how many of those standards get ignored once people start getting a bit older.
Age isn't necessarily the issue. Just look at how of these standards get tossed when people find somebody that they have chemistry with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Age isn't necessarily the issue. Just look at how of these standards get tossed when people find somebody that they have chemistry with.

I guess it depends on how principled you are - whether emotion or principle wins out (F vs T) - Perhaps I'm more T than I thought...?

Upvote 0

BigMat

Jan 4, 2011
New Mexico, USA
✟8,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Had kids?

Since I am in the midst of raising my nephew (and have been since he was an infant) I couldn't really complain if the woman I was dating had kids of her own.

My honest, deep down preference would be to start a marriage without there being any children, which would mean dating women who didn't have any. The optimal way to get that initial cementing of a marriage is for a husband and wife to be entirely focused on and absorbed by one another for the first year or so. As any parent knows, when kids are part of the equation, it's almost impossible to have your attention focused anywhere but on them, the little rascals make sure of it.

Was divorced?

My preference would be for a woman to have waited for me (in both the areas of sex and marriage) as I have for her. At this point in life, though, the probability of me coming across a single woman in my age range who hasn't been married (or had sex, for that matter) is fairly slim, so it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Smokes?

She would have to be awfully special for me to put up with it. Tobacco smoke is an extreme irritant for me -- coughing, difficulty breathing, burning eyes, burning lungs, sick to my stomach. I would have some pretty significant ground rules concerning it -- she couldn't smoke inside a closed area with me (house, cars, building, etc.), she would have to be downwind from me anytime she smoked when we were outside together, she would have to be willing to take steps to cut down on the odor in her hair and clothes. I don't even know how kissing would be handled.

Drinks?

I despise liquor. I grew up with an alcoholic mother and her alcoholism pretty much tore up the family and made my time growing up a living hell. I have family members who are alcoholics and it has ruined their lives and the lives of those around them. I have never, willingly, drank liquor in my life and have no intentions of ever doing so. I would be unwilling to allow liquor in my home. So if she was an alcoholic it would be a dealbreaker. If she weren't addicted to it and it was just a casual thing, would she respect and care for me enough to give it up?

Uses drugs?

Dealbreaker. There again, I have family members who's lives have been completely destroyed by drugs. I'm not willing to put up with that insanity.

Was not from your denomination?

Denominations don't mean an awful lot to me. Either you love God with all of your heart and have given your life to him or not. Either you listen to and obey Him or not. Either you believe what the Bible says or you don't. Either you have a relationship with Him or you don't. Beyond that, personal beliefs could be explored and hashed out over time.

Was not a Christian?

Not very likely. I want someone who has a relationship with Christ. I want someone who can at least comprehend me when I talk about the greatest thing to ever happen to me.

Was overweight?

I've been attracted to all body types so, unless it's an extreme case, weight doesn't really matter. Besides, the past several years I've managed to pack on more pounds than I should be carrying around, myself.

Has body odor?

That's usually something that can be remedied fairly easily. I guess it would depend on the circumstances (is there a medical problem?) and her willingness to take steps to get things under control.

Dresses poorly?

Depends on the circumstances behind it (finances, comfort, health requirements), the particular situations in which she does it (just running to the store to get a couple of ingredients for dinner or goes out on dates to nice restaurants that way), and the type of poor dress ([bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]/trashy, sweats, or just plain wore out threadbare clothes). If I'm just running to the store for a few minutes or hanging around the house I'm usually in sweats and a t-shirt myself. I've had a number of surgeries and operations around the beltline and anymore, loose-fitting sweats are really the only things that don't irritate me in that area.

Pajamas and night clothes I draw the line at. I have seen, on very rare occasions, people doing that. I can't stand that.

Bathes seldomly?

Another problem that could be easily remedied but, would she be willing to do so?

Was taller than you (for men) / shorter than you (for women)?

I'm 6 foot so she would have to be pretty dern tall for a woman. But no, it wouldn't bother me.

Was 5 years younger than you?

Five years isn't too big of an age gap. It would ultimately depend on her level of maturity, where she is at in life, her walk with God.

How about 10 years younger?

Ten years is sort of pushing it. Usually people in that age range just aren't on the same page in life that I am. But, I'm not going to give an absolute "no" ultimatum. It would depend on the same factors as above. I have seen women younger than that who had an impressive level of depth, maturity, and wisdom.

Was 5 years older than you?

There again, five years isn't too bad an age difference.

10 years older?

I suppose I would -- if it were the right person. As I stated above, ten years is pretty much the outer edge of the envelope. I'm not going to omit the possibility though because a person never knows what God has planned.

Has no car? Has no job? Has no money?

Call me old fashioned but it's a husband's place to provide money, cars, food, etc. for his wife. Since she wouldn't be married then I ultimately wouldn't hold her to the standard of having those things. It would be nice if she did but, it's certainly not a dealbreaker. Unless, of course, she was a gold digger, in which case she wouldn't be having anything to do with me anyway (at least not at this point in time).

On the reverse side, I would be loath, even unwilling, to date or pursue romance if I myself didn't have a car, a job, and some sort of financial infrastructure. I don't believe a man has any business pursuing romance unless he is in a position to keep a family afloat.

Has no ambition for the future?

Depends on the definition of ambition. If she isn't pondering or toying around with any notions that go beyond tomorrow's supper then I would be leery.

Is negative?

It depends on the level of negativity, the reasons for and the circumstances prompting it, and whether or not it's likely to be a a lifelong thing . I haven't exactly been a ball of sunshine myself for three or four years now.

Doesn't go to church?

There are lots of legitimate reasons people do not attend church. As long as she wasn't closed to the option of attending church regularly I would be willing to date her.

Was of a different race (ethnicity) than you?

In most instances it would not be a problem. If the cultural traditions and practices were too significant and made me uncomfortable then it would become a factor.

Your parents did not approve of?

All of my parents and grandparents are deceased so that's not really a factor.

Is Clingy?

It depends on what kind of clingy and how intense it is. It's wonderful to be wanted and have someone enjoy being around you, and not want to be apart from you. But, if I take a few days to get some peace and time to myself and she goes haywire over it, that's not cool.

Talks about marriage right away?

That depends. Is she a total goo-goo-eyed ding-bat that insists from day one that I'm her fiance and I just haven't realized it yet? Is she just stating that her purpose for dating is to find a husband. There are those rare couples that God simply puts together and sews it into their hearts from the first time they meet that they've found their future spouse.

Is awesome?

"Awesome" is subjective to the individual opinion holder. One person's idea of awesome might not be mine and the other way around.

Is a vegetarian / vegan? (Or a meat-eater if you are not?)

As long as she is not a cannibal or doesn't chow down on small puppy dogs or some twisted thing like that, I don't really care what she eats. We would be fine as long as she didn't try to keep me from eating meat.

Reactions: Inkachu
Upvote 0
S

Softly

Had kids? Yes
Was divorced? Depends on whether it was Biblical divorce
Smokes? Yes but not if he smoked in the house and I would beg him to quit!
Drinks? No
Uses drugs? No
Was not from your denomination? If he is a Bible believing Christian then yes
Was not a Christian? No
Was overweight? How overweight?
Has body odor? No lol
Dresses poorly? Maybe
Bathes seldomly? No
Was taller than you (for men) / shorter than you (for women)? No short men allowed
How about 10 years younger? No
10 years older? Yes
Has no car? ok
Has no job? Sure
Has no money? Yeah
Is negative? Maybe
Was of a different race (ethnicity) than you? No
Your parents did not approve of? Depends
Is Clingy? Sure
Talks about marriage right away? Sure
Is awesome? lol
Is a vegetarian / vegan? (Or a meat-eater if you are not?) Sure

Upvote 0

Yukikyo

On Fire!
Dec 1, 2005
United States
✟194.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Had kids? No
Was divorced? Yes
Smokes? Perhaps, depends on their personality, if I liked them a lot
Drinks? Perhaps, depends on their personality, if I liked them a lot
Uses drugs? No
Was not a Christian? Perhaps
Was overweight? No
Has body odor? No
Dresses poorly? Possibly
Bathes seldomly? No
Was taller than you (for men) / shorter than you (for women)? Yes
Was 5 years younger than you? Possibly
How about 10 years younger? no
Was 5 years older than you? possibly
10 years older? no
Has no car? possibly
Has no job? no
Has no money? no
Has no ambition for the future? no
Is negative? as long as it wasn't all the time
Doesn't go to church? possibly
Was of a different race (ethnicity) than you? yes
Your parents did not approve of? possibly
Is Clingy? yes
Talks about marriage right away? possibly
Is awesome? yes
Is a vegetarian / vegan? (Or a meat-eater if you are not?) yes

Upvote 0

Andrew12

A Knight of the Lord
Nov 4, 2010
Mainstreet, AnyTown
Visit site
✟17,283.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just wondering what people’s perspectives are on dating people with certain qualities. A simple Yes or No is sufficient to answer. I’ll probably give my answers later.

Would you date / go out with someone who…

Had kids? probably
Was divorced? maybe
Smokes? NO
Drinks?NO
Uses drugs? NO
Was not from your denomination? probably not
Was not a Christian? NO
Was overweight? maybe, depends.
Has body odor? depends.
Dresses poorly? yep
Bathes seldomly? prolly not.
Was taller than you (for men)? maybe
Was 5 years younger than you? no...she'd be 15yo.
How about 10 years younger? no, she'd be 10yo.
Was 5 years older than you? yes
10 years older? maybe
Has no car? yes
Has no job? yes
Has no money? yes
Has no ambition for the future? depends
Is negative? depends
Doesn't go to church? prolly not.
Was of a different race (ethnicity) than you? yes
Your parents did not approve of? maybe, depends.
Is Clingy? sure
Talks about marriage right away? sure
Is awesome? eh...idk...... LOL :p
Is a vegetarian / vegan? (Or a meat-eater if you are not?) yeah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rory

The Dude abides...
Nov 16, 2005
So Cal
Visit site
✟14,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These are usually fun.

Had kids? Sure
Was divorced? Yeah
Smokes? No, considering I'm still trying to quit, wouldn't want to be tempted back
Drinks? Yes Heavily? No
Uses drugs? No
Was not from your denomination? Sure
Was not a Christian? Never again
Was overweight? Sure
Dresses poorly? lol Yes
Bathes seldomly? No
Was taller than you (for men) Sure
How about 10 years younger? Depends
Was 5 years older than you? Possibly
10 years older? Doubt it
Has no car? Yes
Has no job? Yes
Has no money? Yes
Is negative? No, like the smoking I'm trying to quit this myself.
Doesn't go to church? Not sure, I've yet to find one myself.
Is Clingy? Sure
Talks about marriage right away? Sure
Is awesome? Maybe....lol Yes :p
Is a vegetarian / vegan? (Or a meat-eater if you are not?) Depends on if they expect me to change to be like them.

Reactions: Inkachu
Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Had kids? Depends on the situation honestly.

Was divorced? Possibly.

Smokes? Yep.

Drinks? If rare, then yes.

Uses drugs? If coffee, then yes. :p Otherwise, no illegal drugs.

Was not from your denomination? Maybe.

Was not a Christian? Nope.

Was overweight? Yes.

Has body odor? Yes.

Dresses poorly? Yes.

Bathes seldomly? No. (Sounds childish, which is a whole new can of worms. lol)

Was taller than you (for men) / shorter than you (for women)? Yes.

Was 5 years younger than you? No.

How about 10 years younger? Considering that's 13, thats a definite no!

Was 5 years older than you? Yes.

10 years older? Yes.

Has no car? Maybe.

Has no job? Maybe.

Has no money? Maybe.

Has no ambition for the future? No.

Is negative? No. (I understand rational negativity, but always negative is a turn off)

Doesn't go to church? Yes.

Was of a different race (ethnicity) than you? Possibly.

Your parents did not approve of? Nope.

Is Clingy? No (nononono. lol)

Talks about marriage right away? Depends.

Is awesome? More awesome than me? Idk about that. :p

Is a vegetarian / vegan? (Or a meat-eater if you are not?) As long as they don't have a problem with my eating style, then no problem. :)

Upvote 0
R

RayofSun

**Disclaimer**Most of my answers could have been "depends" with long explanations, but in the interest of keeping this as short and sweet as possible, I wrote whatever popped in my head first.

Had kids? Yes
Was divorced? Yes
Smokes? No
Drinks? Sure, as long as it's not to the point of being a problem
Uses drugs? No
Was not from your denomination? Sure
Was not a Christian? No
Was overweight? Yes

Has body odor? The cause of this body odor is important to know.
-Caused by recent strenuous activity: yes
-If the origin of the odor is unknown: No, sorry my nose can't take it
Dresses poorly? Yes
Bathes seldomly? Only if he's willing to change that habit, otherwise no
Was taller than you (for men) / shorter than you (for women)? yes
Was 5 years younger than you? No
How about 10 years younger? Gosh I'm pretty sure that's illegal
Was 5 years older than you? Absolutely
10 years older? Yes
Has no car? Yes
Has no job? Yes, hopefully they're are plans for one in future though
Has no money? Yes
Is negative? No
Is Clingy? ...sure
Talks about marriage right away? probably
Is awesome? Heck yes
Is a vegetarian / vegan? (Or a meat-eater if you are not?) Unlikely, I really really enjoy meat

Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Had kids? no
Was divorced? yes
Smokes? yes